Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a Virus From visiting a section on TG Forums!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Virus From visiting a section on TG Forums!

I don't know if it means anything but usally when I get these fake virus scanning popup things it means I Just got a virus. So I join the forums today and right away travel to the PR section and twice got a virus ware fake pop up ad. I don't know if anyone has gotten this but wow.

Re: Got a Virus From visiting a section on TG Forums!

You might have adware, and are getting these pop-ups from it randomly browsing the web.

I had Adware a week or so ago and kept getting pop-ups while viewing TG too.

Comment

yep here to... only happened once so far in all my browsing and it was here at TG... I exited the program, did a scan with my real virus protection, came up clean.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I once accidentally turned off my ad-blocker and it made me itchy in my special place.

Comment

Hmmm..

Recently my ActiveX has stopped something trying to 'pop-up', and wanted to start a process which I have declined. I don't know if it related nor what it is, as I have simply declined it.

As you rightly say, such 'virus' pop-ups are known to to be scams, inserting things like keyloggers and viruses.

At the bottom of the main forum page your will see 'Contact Tactical Gamer Administration', http://www.tacticalgamer.com/contact...dministration/, a private forum. These guys deal with adverts and can help you with your inquiry. They will be very happy to hear from you on this - be assured Ads have been in question here before and these guys will move heaven and earth to ensure our safety. As far as I am aware, they have the ability to contact the company that uses the webspace and who sells this on to their 3rd parties to place adverts.

EDIT: I see the others have posted whilst I was writing and it seems we all got the same. I ran a scan too and also came up clean.

Comment

Im reformating today anyways to try PR with Windows 7. So Im off to buy backup dvds so I can put pr on there and the 1.5 patch of BF and The BF Editor kit. I hate formating I do it like every 2-4 months.

Comment

I witnessed this crap popup via Firefox last night as well. Next time end the firefox.exe process in the task manager to kill it. More of some kind of Firefox vulnerability than anything related to the site.

Comment

you on Vista?

Comment

I'm on vista, and I just reformated thinking I could get a copy of W7. I was wrong so I'm stuck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by JoyRiderUSA View Post
                    I'm on vista, and I just reformated thinking I could get a copy of W7. I was wrong so I'm stuck with this.
                    I was actually on two different computers last night, on two completely different networks, with two completely different OSs....and saw the same thing on both thanks to Firefox.

Comment

As with all public places, while browsing the TacticalGamer forums, one must practice healthy personal hygiene. Wash your hands. If you visit certain places like the Sandbox, disinfect your sneakers. Other places such as the BF2142 forums require a full decontamination with your clothes being destroyed.

Comment

So....Acid Bath?

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                          Other places such as the BF2142 forums require a full decontamination with your clothes being destroyed.
                          I'll remember to help you with your "decontamination" procedures the next time I see you on the server. ;)

Comment

Every person should have a well-stocked arsenal on a Windows-based PC, for batting back the nasties.

At the very least, this repoirtoire should include AVG (or Your Anti-Virus Program Here), and an anti-spyware program such as SpyBot or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

The resident, active-scanning sections of any/either/of should be sufficient.
                            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Defense in depth. An AV is just one layer, and it's already been demonstrated that AV's miss attacks. Add at least one more layer of defense to avoid penetration. Use an alternate browser. (It doesn't have to be Firefox.) Don't run as Administrator. Leave Vista UAC turned on. Settle on a look for your computer. (You don't really need to change the bling on your desktop more often than your underwear. )
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X