Help find asch a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help find asch a car

Now that little asch is around my Jeep Wrangler isn't going to cut it for driving him around. The Wrangler has also been killing me on my drives to work lately. So I'm looking for another vehicle to get me from point A to point B. My requirements aren't much...

(in no particular order)

a) New or used... if new it better get 30+ mpg.
    b) Sedan, wagon, or crossover.
    c) Must be able to hold a set of golf clubs in the trunk.
    d) Able to handle a baby seat in the back. So no small back seats.

The car will pretty much be used for my commute back and forth to work. I drive 50+ miles a day... mostly highway. There may be times where I'm driving several hundred miles once a week for work travel but not at the moment.

Cars I have been looking at...

Voltswagon Jetta TDI diesel (new)
    Chevy Equinox (new)
    Hyundai Santa Fe (used)
    Lexus Sedan (used)

It's a wide range of vehicles I'm checking out... no preference yet.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Help find asch a car

I have seen more of these on the road now and I have to say, it's one of the best looking Volvo's ever produced:
    http://www.volvocars.com/us/models/x...s/default.aspx
    Go for the big alloys option and the side skirts kit and it starts to look quite sporty...It's sort of in the Crossver category, looks VERY modern, the rear is stunning, it is smaller than the XC70 so easier around town, etc. Very capable 4x4 system an nice features....

Also worth consideration:
    The new Caddy is a nice piece of kit...
    http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...|_cadillac_srx
    (GAH....did I actually just say that about an american car.......shoot me now...) ;)

The trusty and bombproof reliability Scooby Outback...
    http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outba...ack|3781947295

The new TDi version of the A3 coming soon...
    http://green.autoblog.com/2009/05/21...dash-of-sport/

There's a tonne more...but you really need to narrow your ideal, as to whether you need the 4x4 off-road capability or not..? Is a Sedan practical? Is a Jetta too small? Depreciation...are bothered or not?, style factor? is this important..?

Personally having seen the XC60 on the road, it looks sleek, modern, mean, and does everything you want it to....only question is...do you have a Volvo dealer nearby which is another equation to think of, especially when you have your good lady out one day with Little Asch and god forbid the car breaks down... is the dealer nearby?

Things to think about....

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD......Do not get a used Hyundai or Chevy..... Hyundais only saving grace is their new warranty milage offers, pretty impressive, but by the end of yor time with it, it will be worth the princely sum of a "desert spoon" in value....
    Ditto the Chevy.....there is a reason that company is in the crap!

BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

kia. my wife bought a kia sportage and its amazing. Warrenty is great. drives like a dream. paid around 22k for it. great lil suv
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I've loved my 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback. It's amazing the amount of stuff you can haul around with that thing. Plus, the backseat is plenty big. It gets excellent gas mileage, both city and highway. I also have a Cadillac CTS-V, which I love, but isn't nearly as practical. BTW, my Mazda's up for sale in case you're interested. I'd give it to you for an excellent price! The only reason I'm selling it, is because it's too expensive for me to keep 2 cars these days.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'll pimp Subaru. I'm sure you can find a used Impreza (not WRX, the non turbo version) for a pretty good price. It's one of the safest rides you can get, decent gas mileage, great handling, the hatchback has an amazing "bigger inside than out" load. I can fit a full bass rig and about half a PA in mine for gigs with no problems. I've had it for years, its rock solid in terms of reliability. Do not, repeat, do not get the Jetta. It will end up leaching money out of your wallet.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I'd have to agree with gunjunkie about subarus. Theyre all over the place in colorado cause of the AWD. I've had friends get in horrific accidents in them and come out without anything more than whiplash, as well as friends who have driven them for upwards of 300k miles without major issues (with regular maintenance of course).

Comment

Asch.....

Another one you may want to conside as a used purchse is the Infiniti FX35
              http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/fx35/review.html

It's a Crossover with great driving characteristics and a nice sporty sound to it.

It also does not look like an SUV... Well worth consideration!

If you prefer more of a car that has all the fun you could want....the new Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback would also be a good option....most fun to had with the "Ralliart" version....
              http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...FRBbagodsFzYiw
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I am still all over the place with the type of vehicle I want. I think a lot of them will be filtered out when I start hammering out prices and fitting them into my budget. Little asch is a big black hole sucking up my funds. But he's worth it. :-)

The two cars we have now is a Honda Pilot and Jeep Wrangler so I'm used to sitting up off the ground. That's part of the reason I would love a crossover... the other part being cargo room. However it may come down to a family sedan / wagon being the more cost effective option.

The Chevy Equinox is most likely out since it isn't worth paying new car prices... the Santa Fe doesn't have very good ratings... the Jetta looks like it will be too small for a car seat in the back.

The Infiniti FX35 looks worth checking out.

What other used sedans and crossovers are quality vehicles?
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I recently purchased a 09 Nissan Sentra SE-R. Overall, its a great car. Even in the sports pack, it still has the space in the back seat and trunk. The none sport pack, would be even more so im guessing.

For fuel econemy, im getting 8.4 l/ 100km. (what that converts to, in MPG, not sure.) However that is in a slightly larger engine, being driven by a 21 year old guy, so not in the most fuel efficient manner out there.

Comment

I have been in the FX35, and it seemed a lot smaller than I perceived it to be by looking at it from the outside. The "trunk" space in the hatch did not seem like it could hold very much and the roof seemed low (I'm a taller guy). I don't know if the back seats fold down, I assume they would though.
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
                      Well, I recently purchased a 09 Nissan Sentra SE-R. Overall, its a great car. Even in the sports pack, it still has the space in the back seat and trunk. The none sport pack, would be even more so im guessing.

For fuel econemy, im getting 8.4 l/ 100km. (what that converts to, in MPG, not sure.) However that is in a slightly larger engine, being driven by a 21 year old guy, so not in the most fuel efficient manner out there.
                      I googled "8.4 l/ 100km in mpg" and got: 8.4 l/ 100km = 28.0017361 miles per gallon

I have a 2005 Camry sedan (gas only, prior to their hybrid release) that gets 29-31 mpg when driven mostly on the highway with two adults and a child. Lots of room, wagons are available. On the lower end of price but very reliable.

I also have a 1992 Honda Civic Si hatchback that is small but with a lot of room in the backseat for my baby seat. I get a consistent 30 mpg on the highway, used to get 35-40 back when I did better maintenance :)

I'd recommend either brand for being affordable, having good mileage and reliability and being fun to drive. Both the Accord and Camry have wagon models, nice interior and trunk space and meet all asch's needs. Sure I look like a generic family guy but I don't care.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                        I googled "8.4 l/ 100km in mpg" and got: 8.4 l/ 100km = 28.0017361 miles per gallon

I have a 2005 Camry sedan (gas only, prior to their hybrid release) that gets 29-31 mpg when driven mostly on the highway with two adults and a child. Lots of room, wagons are available. On the lower end of price but very reliable.

I also have a 1992 Honda Civic Si hatchback that is small but with a lot of room in the backseat for my baby seat. I get a consistent 30 mpg on the highway, used to get 35-40 back when I did better maintenance :)

I'd recommend either brand for being affordable, having good mileage and reliability and being fun to drive. Both the Accord and Camry have wagon models, nice interior and trunk space and meet all asch's needs. Sure I look like a generic family guy but I don't care.
                        I agree, Toyota and Honda are good brands, and you (mostly) can't go wrong with them. Currently, I'm driving a 2001 Camry that has nice room, decent enough power (for me), and gets around 30 mpg on the highway. My family used to have a 1992 Honda Civic for a while as well, and though it was small, it likewise worked well (especially with young kids) and got about 40 mpg on average. (Ok, I admit, I'm a Honda geek =P).

Comment

Ahh, the inevitable "I have a kid now, but I don't want the family-mobile stigma". quandry :)

My recommendations for utility, safety, space, power, price, "cool-factor", and amenities, will always include Subarus, Volks.... and Volvos are some of the safest cars around.

In which case, an S40 may be too small so look into an S60, or if you can find a V50 for that wagon-goodness.

I also vouch for the Subaru Legacy Outback, great all around car and I have wanted one for myself. The Impreza will be too small, in either body style.

You will be able to get the Jetta Sportwagen with the TDI soon enough, if not now. Recommendations have been to get it with the DSG and not the manual, due to clutch feel and negligible performance/economy difference. Also consider the Passat Wagon, pretty slick car.

I like the new Hyndai Elantra Touring (wagon), but I question it's robustness in an accident with a small child in it (as I would any smaller, less expensive car). Plenty of room and standard features.

I think the Mazda3, Civic, and others, will be too small even in hatchback trim. You can fit golf clubs in pretty much any vehicle that has fold-down seats, or a hatch, but it's whether or not you want to be able to fit them clubs in the trunk/hatch area without folding seats down or popping the hatch area cover.

Nine times out of ten, a midsize car will suit better for combination of features, power, and safety. A lot of these are built specifically for the family in mind. In which case, get a Fusion or Milan when they finally drop the EcoBoost engines in them soon :P
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X