buffalo-sauce - need recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffalo-sauce - need recommendation

i'm doing up some wings tonight in the turkey-fryer and need some recommendations for sauce - either homemade or bottled. also - what do i do about bleu-cheese sauce for dipping?

Re: buffalo-sauce - need recommendation

You can make a good sauce by cooking a little garlic in some olive oil, add in butter, then a hot sauce of your choice. I like Louisiana or Texas Pete's personally. The ratio of butter to hot sauce is your heat control.

For the blue cheese, I always hit up the produce section of the grocery store and they have the fancy dressings that are refrigerated. Typically these are of better quality and fresher tasting than the stuff with the other dressings.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can order anchor bar sauce... probably no by tonight though.

Comment

I'm a a big Frank's Hot Sauce guy. And being in MA I know you can get it in one of the local Stop & Shop's or Hanneford's.

Buffalo Wings are a family favorite in my house for sure and I make them at least once a month to the delight of my family.

Some tips I follow for my wings.

Always buy fresh (relatively) wings. Don't go for those mega bags of frozen wings if you can help it. Yes it's more work to cut the wing's into pieces but it's worth it in the long run. The frozen ones usually are injected with a water/salt mixture and I find them to be tough upon cooking.

Season your flour before you dredge the wings through it. I use about 4 tbs of Emeril's Essence to each 2 cups of flour. The recipe for Emeril's Essence is below. I make up a batch and store it in an empty spice container to have on hand all the time. I also season the wings before dredging them through the flour.

After dredging the wings cook them about 12-14 minutes @ 375. Remove from oil. Set aside for a couple of minutes then dip them in sauce individually. Remove from sauce and bake in 450 degree oven 10 minutes. Serve with chunky blue cheese dressing

Frank's does make a wing sauce that is based on their hot sauce but I always use the regular hot sauce. But first I dump the whole bottle in a stock pot then melt a stick of butter or margerine. When that comes up to simmer I add a few tablespoons of honey.

My secrets--I dip each wing with the tongs for maximum coverage of sauce and then--super important--bake the wings for 10 more minutes in a super hot oven. MMmmmm...that sauce with the honey bakes right in. So much better than just tossing them in the sauce.

Sometimes I'll dip them in egg first...then flour...if I want them really crunchy.

FECK...now I'm going to have to make them for my supper...THANKS W6...!!

Have fun...cripes...Your making them for the GAME !! me Too !!

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
        2 tablespoons salt
        2 tablespoons garlic powder
        1 tablespoon black pepper
        1 tablespoon onion powder
        1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
        1 tablespoon dried oregano
        1 tablespoon dried thyme
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

With all that description, now I'm gonna have to order wings for dinner. Thanks Grunt.

Comment

i got spoiled on wing sauces when i lived in pennsylvania. quaker steak and lube with their 16 varieties of wing sauce and rayne drop inn with their 20. I can never decide anymore.

Comment

Why not jerk it? ...

I know what you're thinking... sicko.

But really. I grabbed this from allrecipes a while ago.

Eight skinless chicken thighs
              1 tablespoon onion flakes
              2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
              2 teaspoons sugar
              2 teaspoons salt
              1 teaspoon all spice
              1 teaspoon black pepper
              1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
              teaspoon nutmeg
              teaspoon cinnamon

Method:
              Throw all the ingredients other than the chicken into a mixing bowl and
              give it a wiz round with a spoon. Lay your chicken out and gently work
              the jerk seasoning into all areas of the thigh. Grill over medium heat for
              about 20 minutes and enjoy! To complete the Caribbean BBQ it’s got to
              be a “dark and stormy” – 1 measure of dark rum topped up with ginger
              beer.
              Shown here with Jasmine Rice and a Mango Salsa.

Second time I made it I cut the cayenne in half... YMMV. I also didn't try the dark and stormy, this was the night I perfected my Rum Runner recipe. Mmmm... now I'm hungry.
              Last edited by Boot; 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM. Reason: I spell grt.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                I also didn't try the dark and stormy
                What? How can this be? The greatest drink of all time...you passed on? All Hail Goslings black rum and Ginger beer.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

For homemade, I agree, Franks is the way to go. And I've tried their wing sauce and am going back to just regular Franks and butter.

For dressing, I like Marie's Blue Cheese in the refrigerated part of the produce section. The "normal" kind is very chunky. I like to stir a tiny bit of crushed garlic into the dressing. (You should just barely taste it.)

For takeout, I like Wingstop. They have a variety of sauces and dips, and you can get wings or strips. (I prefer strips.)

Schwanns makes strips in "french fry form factor", ie. long skinny strips of breaded chicken. (Schwanns delivers to your house from a refrigerated truck, and has all kinds of yummy stuff. I also like their Pigs in Blankets for breakfast, little sausages wrapped in blueberry pancake.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                    Why not jerk it? ...

I know what you're thinking... sicko.

But really. I grabbed this from allrecipes a while ago.

Shown here with Jasmine Rice and a Mango Salsa.

Second time I made it I cut the cayenne in half... YMMV. I also didn't try the dark and stormy, this was the night I perfected my Rum Runner recipe. Mmmm... now I'm hungry.
                    Mmmm jerk chicken. My recipe is similar to that one but uses habaneros or scotch bonnets instead of cayenne and a little bit less sugar. Capsicum chinense peppers have a nice sweet, fruity flavor in addition to the heat that really comes thru after cooking.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

An easy recipe that my restaurant uses for a mild sauce:
                      Equal parts Frank's Hot Sauce & Liquid Margarine

Also, my local grocery carries a line of yogurt based dressings and they are yummy!

Comment

damnit... i think i'm gonna have to delete this thread.. .every time it gets a reply, i find myself salivating o_0

Comment

How'd they come out Whisk...?

This reminds me of the old "Tactical Recipes" thread. That was fun too.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I just used straight Franks... came out pretty good... i've got some uncooked wings left over, so i'll fire those up soon with the franks+butter recipe... adding butter always makes things better :D

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                              adding butter always makes things better :D
                              Agreed, and there in lies the problem :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse