Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obnoxious Ads on TG Forums?

Anyone else been getting these?

I just noticed them today... its like TV ads on the TG forums, audio only and advertising crap like kleenex, clothes etc.

Maybe its some spyware on my computer, but its only happening when I visit the TG forums, any other websites are fine..

So anyone else?

Re: Obnoxious Ads on TG Forums?

I don't see any, but I do know there is a huge difference between the ads seen by supporting members and non-supporting members.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Are you using Mozilla? You can get two Add ons that block ads and flash items. NoScript and Flashblock. Since I started using them, I haven't gotten any ads.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

For things like this, get screenshots and addresses for the popups if you can, that way they can be taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
          Are you using Mozilla? You can get two Add ons that block ads and flash items. NoScript and Flashblock. Since I started using them, I haven't gotten any ads.
          Adblock Plus and NoScript will kill every single ad, ever. Occasionally you'll see grey boxes where Adblock has blocked an ad, but usually not, as the ads are usually in the top bar or on the right/left, where they just go away. And with Adblock, it still pings the server that the ad is being displayed, so whoever's website you're on still gets ad revenue, which is a big plus.
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            For things like this, get screenshots and addresses for the popups if you can, that way they can be taken care of.
            this.

there shouldn't be pop-ups, audio, or any blinky/flashy YOU WON!! type ads, but sometimes they slip through...

if/when you see one that's inappropriate, post the target URL here.

edit: if you want, consider adding an adblock exception for this site.. they help keep the lights on. (though blocking them all is just fine too :) )

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              this.

edit: if you want, consider adding an adblock exception for this site.. they help keep the lights on. (though blocking them all is just fine too :) )
              IIRC, adblock plus does this by itself...I don't see the ads, and you still get the monies.
              "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Originally posted by sporkife View Post
                IIRC, adblock plus does this by itself...I don't see the ads, and you still get the monies.
                First find on google search on the Adblock forums:

ABP blocks the download of the ads. This has many benefits - your browser doesn't spend cycles creating HTML and downloading images that you're not going to look at, your privacy is improved because ad networks don't get to see what you're doing across many sites, and so on.

However, just displaying the ads doesn't necessarily mean revenue - many sites only get paid if you click on the ads. And, even if they are paid per impression, by downloading the ad and not clicking on it, you decrease their click through rate, which means they're less able to attract premium advertisers.

So:

* Downloading ads and not clicking them is bad for the site you visit.
                * Not downloading ads is also bad for the site you visit.

If you do like the sites, contact the site owner. See if there's a way you can support the site outside of dealing with the crapton of ads - maybe donating time to help moderate forums, spread the word of how cool they are with a review, or even a direct monetary donation, if they're set up to receive those.
                Adblock works by ignoring the advertiser code on the page so there is no ping to the adserver at all. No ad, no money although it wouldn't matter if it it did count.

TG's alternate option is the subscription which gets rid of the ads. As noted above they don't want crappy ads so let them know if you get them. I used to simply individually block annoying ads and that worked for a while, but I think I used a preloaded list last time I updated that still allows text ads.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Hm. Someone must have lied to me somewhere. My fail.

Comment

I don't have a problem viewing the ads, but I won't run their JavaScript. Too many exploits get delivered via advertising that way.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I am getting a 'bomb noise' sound whilst browsing forums. It not even that really, it's so horrifically early 80's computer sound quality in noise I am just guessing due to latent throwback sound recognition expertise on my part. That or a dive bomber but that has bombs and I think it pretty much goes back to the latent throwback early 80's game thingy I was on about.

I wouldn't mind so much if it lasted for more than a second; I would have massively wild daydreams of defeating the Gorfian robots yet again in my spaceship and may I add with alot of style. I don't though, I just start chewing bricks.

Not sure where it is coming from. I'm not computer literate enough to find out and I don't want to point to any ad without a more clear idea from myself that everytime the noise happens a specific ad is present (it has not been the case and the seat of my problem in finding it, though there is one common ad whilst browsing that looks like a peer under setting sun and a palm tree. No words. It may not be on my screen whilst I move to threads and the noise goes off. It has recently trawled the TG forums though).

Since I am not an SM I'd rather try to sort out such problematic adds than get rid of them completely by the ad-blocker suggested. My problem with the noise is that I have no reason to point a finger at a specific ad without what I would consider definative proof. At this moment in time though, I am considering posting to Admins but hesitate since I would rather more definative proof.

So.

Does anyone have this same problem or has reasoned more clearly the source? Is there a way to find out? Does anyone know the 'rule of thumb' on how ads work. And is this ad the bugger? (seems so but as I say, without clear proof, I can't simply go running off to the Admins pointing fingers).

Are 'sexy games' and sights such as 'be naughty', a kind of dating site for umm.. being naughty, also as no no as say a pop-up Gratz! ad?

Also. I don't like Firefox ever since I pressed a wrong button and it overtook all browsers. I found it highly agressive in that sense. I had to uninstall it and Explorer to rid it. I still have it but use it rarely for bypassing things Explorer cant handle sometimes. I certanly keep it shallow when using tools. Since I am here alot, I wont use it for here. I use more depth in Explorer and it is my 'workdog browser'. So any tips on Windows Explorer 8? (apart from not use it at all).
                      Last edited by Taip3n; 09-20-2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Hm, I get a few in-line ads and side banner ads, no popups. Most of the time I really don't even notice. Not sure why my experience with them is so much less obtrusive.
                        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                        -- Red Forman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X