Google Voice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Voice

I just received my invite today for google voice. Has anyone else used this service before? I have yet to try it out.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Google Voice

Yeah, I've been using it since Grandcentral. It's a neat tool, but can be confusing depending on how it is setup (especially in regards to call screening).

Comment

I've been using it since GrandCentral.

I have my handset configured to forward unanswered calls to GV instead of my carrier's voicemail. The only number under my GV account is the office. The result is that folks call my mobile, which rolls over to my office, and the resulting voicemail (if I don't answer either phone) happens at GV.

Next time I need to change numbers, it will be my GV number I'm handing out. The service has been excellent, even given my abnormal usage.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I used GV when it came out for android. Its simply too much stuff crammed into one application. I could see its application for people who dont have cell phones and simply wanted to use it for a house-phone type of setup. But for cell phones, you have to pay for text messages anyway, so that front is out. The second phone number is also unnecessary. The visual voicemail is nice, but theres other VVM services that work much more fluidly than the GV app.

So it has promise, just not for use alongside a cell platform. Now, if I could find a way to rig it where i could piggyback on a cell network and use GV instead of paying for service, I'd gladly make the switch completely.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the new service. Right now I'm thinking it may act as my home telephone # or I may set it up as a business line. I need to check the terms to see if it can be used that way.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

does anyone have an invite they would like to share? I am interested in seeing what this has to offer.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Personally I use it as the number I give out, and have it send specific calls to my cell or home. Works decently as I have changed cells 2 or 3 times since I got it, but haven't had to give out a new number. Can't wait till I get a compatible phone so I can actually call from the Google Voice number, because that will get rid of the major difficulty people have, on what number they should call me back at.

Comment

I used this site http://www.phonespell.org/ to find a number that spelled something easy to remember.

I only use a cell. Like Ferris said, usefulness is limited.

@=DdogG= I don't see where invites are available, otherwise I would send you one.

Comment

I use the hell out of Google voice. I have had it for a month now and love it.
                  1. You get to pick your area code and number
                  2. It can be setup to work with your current phone lines (even cell)
                  3. It is cheap as hell
                  4. It really works..
                  "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I too have had a number since Grand Central. I didn't use the service much until it became GV, though, since development at GrandCentral was silent for a year (or more?) once Google bought them out. I feared the worst.

But since the GV incarnation appeared, I've put it to more and better use. I've got it pointed at three numbers (Home, Work, Cell), and unless there's a specific reason to point people at one of those numbers, I hand out the GV number.

Most notably, I find it frees me up from a given phone line; I can stand up and leave my desk and still get an important call because it's going to ring my cell phone too.

Quality has never been an issue. Voicemail transcription is the bomb, even if it's not perfect; I don't need to wait the 45 seconds it takes to listen to a message if I can scan it on the screen in 10.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Does anyone know if it can be used as a business line?
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                        Does anyone know if it can be used as a business line?
                        According to the overview video. GV is designed to integrate work, home and cell phones. Work being the business line.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Comment

To reinforce Poker's comment on the voicemail transcription... it is FAR from perfect, and that detracts only negligibly from its absolute awesomeness.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

any way to speed up the "invite" process?

Comment

Negative. Just like Wave, it's moving at the speed of heat.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X