Lack of dedicated servers and gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of dedicated servers and gaming

I thought I would post this to help bring it to everyone's attention. I will say I don't know the whole story and repercussions, and am reading up on the subject now, but I have a feeling this development could have a big effect on TG, and how our community chooses to play.

The story is, the recently released major title Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising released a couple weeks ago, but without the option for people to put up a dedicated server. If you have kept up with the release, there has been non-stop complaints from every forum I have read (I'm not a hoho, but I get around :row__536:) about how bad the multiplayer connection experience is with the game. A lot of people saying like the game, and say if you can get into a round, it can be a lot of fun. But they are also saying there are constant connection problems, trying to find friends can be almost impossible, etc. And the devs have said there are no plans for dedicated servers, even though a thread in the official forums has that pegged as the number one thing the community wants in a patch. Without it, a group like TG can't set up a server to play the way they enjoy it most, i.e. a mature way. You can't have a server set up to practice for a match or competition, etc. From what I have read it will also make it impossible to host a server for a mod, so something like Project Reality Mod will not happen with a game.

But to add to the story, Infinity Ward has just announced that their sure to be mega hit Modern Warfare 2 also won't have dedicated servers. These articles are from today:

No dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC; Infinity Ward to run matchmaking service
    and
    Death of dedicated servers for PC gaming at hand
    and
    Battlefield producer (indirectly) slams Modern Warfare 2 PC's multiplayer
    and finally, the reason for me typing this whole thread:
    Lack of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2 PC causes massive petition signing

In that final article, if you click on the picture it will take you here:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?dedis4mw

So far there are "82141 Total Signatures".

I am posting to get everyone here's thoughts on the subject, because maybe somehow there is an upside to this that I'm not seeing.

But I think we need to get as much of TG to sign as possible. I know a lot of full time regulars here at TG sometimes forget to check this General Forum on a regular basis, so it might be worth mentioning this thread in the IHS forums if you also think it is important that we are able to keep our own servers and run them the way TG enjoys playing them. We are a major community, and we can really add to the petition.

Again, feel free to discuss the pros and cons if you have any thoughts.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Lack of dedicated servers and gaming

I signed that COD:MW2 petition as soon as I saw it. I'm 80205. It's already at 84284! wowzaz
    I definitely won't be buying this game without dedi servers. I also posted this petition over at other communities.

Comment

Thank you for supporting the Call of Duty players here at TG, As well as the COD community in general.

Comment

It depends on the game as to whether a dedicated server matters. FPS games generally require one for latency and traffic issues as well as having a 'home' for groups. Other games like RTS can usually get by with a player hosting due to the lower traffic.

It's stupid to release a FPS without dedicated server support if there is any multiplayer, and most cater to multi player nowadays.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Just read this when I woke up:
          Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Steam required and no more dedicated servers or mods - Video update

They point out:
          What it could mean to PC gamers if Modern Warfare 2 comes without dedicated servers has been summed up by the website Dotdosh. We listed the most important points:
          Matchmaking issues (players can't choose servers freely anymore)
          Higher latencies (the player himself is the server)
          No more big games (because of high latencies and automatic matchmaking)
          More cheating (VAC does not have a good reputation)
          No more user created mods
          Map Packs and DLC will probably be charged
          No clan servers
          And look, I hate Hitler as much as the next guy, but someone remixed a movie with him in it to talk about the server issue, and it is funny as hell.
          Does have some NSFW words in the subtitles, but whoever made it did it perfectly.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKty5Kpf4w[/media]

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I am 94137, maybe some1 should shout out to G4, lets see where this goes. What is the point if you cant play with who you want to.

Comment

Yeah I signed a couple days ago, think it was around 36,000 then. We'll see over a 100k today I bet. I'm pretty sure they are not 100% unique, but I bet at least 70k are.

Comment

A giant WTF on this.

Think its a way for them to recoup cash and control ads and generate more revenue? Trying to figure out what's their reasoning for this, tie it into the console games to make their lives easier?

Good to see that at least the BF series will stay with dedicated servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                  A giant WTF on this.

Think its a way for them to recoup cash and control ads and generate more revenue? Trying to figure out what's their reasoning for this, tie it into the console games to make their lives easier?

Good to see that at least the BF series will stay with dedicated servers.
                  Yup, on all points and I just preordered BF3.

Comment

# 95846. I'm quite upset actually. I was really looking forward to this installment. Is it really that hard to allow dedicated servers?

Comment

I really hope that IW re-considers their decision, or at least take into account the outrage of the Operation Flashpoint community at the lack of dedicated servers in Dragon Rising.

Hopefully they can see sense and avoid another PR disaster.

Comment

Comment

I was gonna put off getting this game due to not having the time to play, but if they leave it at this, I'll just pass. Didn't play COD4 online a ton but enough that this would be pretty lame to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                            A giant WTF on this.

this was developed for XBOX360 , then ported to PC, hence

Oh the joys of "crossplatform" development...

and people laughed at me when i said these wannabe PCs boxes would ultimately hurt development for PC one way or another...
                            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

It's at 122,376 signatures currently (I was around 96,500).

Massive failure on IW's part, the frankly offensive response doesn't help either.
                              40 is way too much for a singleplayer game, and there are plenty of better-looking games coming out soon at a more reasonable price.

Oh, yeah, and you've gotta love DICE! <3
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X