CPU Heatsink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Heatsink

Ok, I have an AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition which is a 2.6GHz processor. I plan on overclocking it to 3.0GHz soon, BUT i need a good CPU heatsink first. The stock heatsink is crap, it rusn roughly 40-42C on idle. When playing a heavy game like ArmA 2, it goes up to nearly 60C, which i believe 64C is the highest temp this thing can go. I want to be able to overclock to 3.0GHz, and keep a temperature of at least 45-50C while playing a game like ArmA 2 and perhaps an idling temperature of roughly 30C.

So, anyone have any good thoughts on a Heatsink that works GREAT and is a decent price? It must fit an AM2 Socket(I believe).

Re: CPU Heatsink

I have the xigmatek hdt s-1283 ( http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-hdts1283.php ) and it dropped my temps by 20 degrees celsius on an intel e8400 at 3.0 ghz. OC'ed to 3.84 and under load it gets no warmer than 62 (this is my first attempt at an overclock so I could probably drop the voltage a bit which I would think would also decrease my temp but I haven't tried it yet). I picked it up at microcenter for $20 after rebate and have been very pleased =)
    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

I also have the Xigmatek. It works great but I've heard that it has some trouble keeping up with an overclocked quad. That said, you're not likely to get much more than 3 GhZ out of an Agena and if you're not going to push the volts too much, you shouldn't have an issue. It is a great cooler. Keep in mind, however, that it can only be positioned to blow up or down in an AMD system.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I looked at that one on newegg.com and it ended up being in my "Top 3 lists" to buy. (I pick out a bunch of different ones, then sort through them until I have only 3 left) The reason I ditched that one is because it would have blocked part of my ram, I went with one that wouldn't block it cause I hopefully plan on having 8GB of ram soon. I ended up ordering a "COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler" on newegg for only $44.99 with free shipping (Artic Silver 5 also) Then i'm gonna have to mess around with the settings to get a stable OC. I would at least like to be able to get it up to 2.8Ghz, then I'll move to 3.0Ghz. So I can get a better FPS on ArmA 2 than only the lousy 20-60FPS (Varies between city/open land)

Comment

And retarded me, I had my case fans all on low, I trned them all too high, i don't midn the sound, but it dropped my CPU temp to 38c idle. I'm still getting a new heatsink though, maybe it'll gt pretty cool and i'll be able to overclock. I also have my top fan messed up (The one right above the CPU, it's a 140mm) so I ordered another one of those. But I'm still able to get at least 38c idle finally, and i pulled my case out from my desk so that might be another reason.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X