No announcement yet.

Historical flags

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical flags

World's most expensive Union Jack: Flag that flew at Battle of Trafalgar sells for record-breaking 384,000

The only surviving Union Jack from the Battle of Trafalgar yesterday sold for a staggering world record of 384,000 - nearly 40 times its estimate.

The huge flag, that is littered with holes from shot damage and still has a whiff of gunpowder, flew from the jackstaff of HMS Spartiate at the historic battle 204 years ago.

After the victory over Napoleon's French army, the crew lowered the flag and presented it to Lieutenant James Clephan for his outstanding performance.
    The article includes quite a bit of interesting history about the ship, its flag, and the battle. It almost reads like a Hornblower novel.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Historical flags

I hope that flag doesn't leave Britain. That's an awesome piece of history right there...

One of the coolest historical flags that comes to mind is the Gonzales Flag of Texas, with a story that has awesome parallels to the story of the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae:

This is the replica of the flag hanging in the Texas Capitol, a fitting place... This is most certainly one of the reasons that I love my adopted state of Texas.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed