A few military questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few military questions

Hey guys! Looooong time no see! I come to you with several questions regarding the military, the Air Force to be specific. I know a lot of you have military background, and hope to be able to pick your brains, as I am thinking about possibly enlisting, as is my GF sometime in the future.

Anyways, here's the questions.

Question about the US military deployment and couples.

Let's say if my wife (future.... she's still my GF right now) and I were to join the MP in the airforce(I believe it's called SF in the airforce..) at the same time, and graduated together.

Now let's say we were deployed. What are the chances that we would get deployed together? Is there something we could do to where if one of us were deployed, the other could volunteer for it as well?

Lets say we WERE deployed together. What are the chances of being in the same area? Does the AF support the wedded bliss as well?

Last question.. if we do join, how long will we have until we are able to leave? I hear several things, like 1 year, 3 years, 4 years, 8 years, and so on. Which one is real?

Thanks for your help. I'm considering joining, as is she, because it would help us get through school later, and help us start out.

Re: A few military questions

Theres several things to consider there sniper. Now when you say getting through school and graduating, I assume you're talking about college. So my question to you would be, are you talking about enlisting or ROTC/officer training as an option?

As far as deployments go, if you're in relatively associated fields, there is a *chance* that you could be deployed to the same area. However, if you're in unrelated fields, the chances approach zero with some great measure.

For standard tours of duty, the military does do its best to make sure that married couples are stationed in the same place. I.E. if you're stationed at central command at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL, they'll try and get your wife a billet somewhere at MacDill as well.

As far as length of stay in the military, there are, again, several factors. Enlisted personnel and Officers have different terms of service before they're eligible to get out. Likewise goes with career path (i.e. if you decide to go ROTC/Officer training, your term of service depends on your career path. For example: in the Navy, surface warfare officers are only signed up for 4 years while pilots are committed to 8. I can only reference my experience with it in Navy ROTC, but I know that the Army and Air Force work similar methods.)

So any additional insight about your plans would likely assist in getting more accurate answers to your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      Theres several things to consider there sniper. Now when you say getting through school and graduating, I assume you're talking about college. So my question to you would be, are you talking about enlisting or ROTC/officer training as an option?

As far as deployments go, if you're in relatively associated fields, there is a *chance* that you could be deployed to the same area. However, if you're in unrelated fields, the chances approach zero with some great measure.

For standard tours of duty, the military does do its best to make sure that married couples are stationed in the same place. I.E. if you're stationed at central command at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL, they'll try and get your wife a billet somewhere at MacDill as well.

As far as length of stay in the military, there are, again, several factors. Enlisted personnel and Officers have different terms of service before they're eligible to get out. Likewise goes with career path (i.e. if you decide to go ROTC/Officer training, your term of service depends on your career path. For example: in the Navy, surface warfare officers are only signed up for 4 years while pilots are committed to 8. I can only reference my experience with it in Navy ROTC, but I know that the Army and Air Force work similar methods.)

So any additional insight about your plans would likely assist in getting more accurate answers to your questions.

I would be enlisting.

As far as the field, both would be in the Air force Security Forces.

I hear cases of where you'd only have to enlist for 2 years (on special cases). What are those special cases? When they say 4 years, how does that work? You're stationed at the base for 4 years, or they can call you up to work at the base?

Comment

As far as the Army goes, everyone enlists for an 8 year obligation (unsure what the officers are obligated to do). How you serve that 8 year requirement is up to you (active, reserve, national guard, IRR).

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
          As far as the Army goes, everyone enlists for an 8 year obligation (unsure what the officers are obligated to do). How you serve that 8 year requirement is up to you (active, reserve, national guard, IRR).
          Thats not quite right. My son just joined the Army and had 3 options 4, 6, or 8 years.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Sniper you need to hit me up via yahoo messenger or some other instant messanger asap as I am Active Duty Security Forces stationed at barksdale AFB, LA I have alot of experience in the questions you are asking and unless anyone else here is Security Forces I think I can help you best. So let me know how you want to make contact. BTW are you in the DEP program or any kind of JROC,ROC,Civil Air Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
              To be honest he is right, everyone enlisted member in the US military enlist for 8 years no matter what in some form, now how many years are active duty is different, My first enlistment was 6 active years with 2 years IRR inactive reserve. If you signed up for 4 years active, you do 4 years inactive, or you can do all 8 active but I never see that happen.

Comment

When you put pen to paper, you incur an 8 year statutory military service obligation. The specific term of service in years is the contractual obligation to be served in active duty and/or ready reserve (drilling units). The remaining service is in the inactive reserve subject to call-ups such as Presidential Call-Up.

Officers (honorary separated, non-medical) for example are subject to recall up to age 55 unless they write their service secretary and request final separation.

Military retirees are also subject to recall up to age 60.

Terms of service vary depending on bonuses offered and/or the new GI bill. Examples include:
                2 years active duty, 2 years ready reserve (drill), and 4 years inactive reserve
                6 years ready reserve (drill), and 2 years inactive reserve
                etc…

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bubba View Post
                  Thats not quite right. My son just joined the Army and had 3 options 4, 6, or 8 years.
                  As others have said, he signed for an 8 year total obligation. For example, if he picked 4 years active, then his contract releases him from active duty after 4 years and places him into the Inactive Ready Reserve for the remaining 4 years.

Joining the National Guard after active duty service halves your remaining obligation. Continuing with the example, if he opts for the Guard after the 4 years active duty, then he only needs to serve 2 years, cutting his initial obligation from 8 years total to 6 years total. I imagine the Army Reserve has a similar deal, but I don't know. I wasn't offered a Reserve contract upon separation.

If you're activated from the IRR, you usually deploy with a Guard unit for their rotation, and then are released again after redeployment. I initially signed up for 4 years, reenlisted twice for 2 year runs to avoid the IRR. I didn't want to be activated some years down the road when I had already settled into a civilian life. I also preferred the prospect of deploying with an active infantry unit versus a Guard unit.

Comment

You PM me and I will get you a good deal in the United States Marine Corps.
                    I promise you will be separated from your spouse and see glorious duty. I assure you that you will receive 2 paychecks a month and probably be fed 3 times a day. Will will issue you uniforms. You will travel the globe. And you will get into decent physical condition. You will learn marksmanship and WILL be taught to shoot and hit a man sized sillouhette at distances of up to 500 meters. You will know that you have made a difference at the end of the day.

On the other hand if you join the Air Force, I am not even sure you will be able to tell you are in the military other then that Air Force ball cap you are required to wear.

Ill check my PMs .... I await your decision.
                    Meat Drapes
                    -[OIJ]-
                    Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

My box is still empty. What are you waiting for?
                      Meat Drapes
                      -[OIJ]-
                      Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes View Post
                        You PM me and I will get you a good deal in the United States Marine Corps.
                        I promise you will be separated from your spouse and see glorious duty. I assure you that you will receive 2 paychecks a month and probably be fed 3 times a day. Will will issue you uniforms. You will travel the globe. And you will get into decent physical condition. You will learn marksmanship and WILL be taught to shoot and hit a man sized sillouhette at distances of up to 500 meters. You will know that you have made a difference at the end of the day.

On the other hand if you join the Air Force, I am not even sure you will be able to tell you are in the military other then that Air Force ball cap you are required to wear.

Ill check my PMs .... I await your decision.

LoL I am in th AF and don't wear a ball cap. Hey sniper you asked me about asvab requirements, the marines don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                          LoL I am in th AF and don't wear a ball cap. Hey sniper you asked me about asvab requirements, the marines don't have one.
                          That is a pretty good one. I admit we have our share of braindead Marines, but I am certain it is no different then any other branch percentage wise.

I ASVAB'd pretty decent, sure does open up the opportunity.
                          Meat Drapes
                          -[OIJ]-

Comment

lol yeah man we got just as many knuckleheads as everyother branch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X