Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paintball vs. Airsoft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paintball vs. Airsoft

    Post your thoughts here.
    This has been an everlasting conflict, feel free to tear each other apart over this topic :D

    P.S. I've been thinking about the G&P M4A1 for Airsoft and RAP4 T68 for paintball...comments?

  • #2
    Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

    Well, I would say that despite the obvious similarity, the games are played in a completely different manner. Paintball is usually played as speedball, whereas airsoft is most commonly done as a form of milsim. Both can be fun, and paintball is probably better in a party setting/fooling around with a few friends, but personally I like airsoft more as a hobby.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

      At least in the USA, paintball is a lot more popular and there are tons more venues, players, and technical support available. That being said, based on your preference in markers, you are into "woodsball", which is not nearly as popular as speedball. Speedball is very fast paced; the fields rarely get bigger than football fields and the rounds last <5 minutes.

      Friends fool around in both airsoft and paintball, it probably just seems more common in paintball simply because paintball is much more popular-there is a greater diversity of players from the 12 year old-spoiled-rich kids to the hardcore semi pro athletes who train with a team and compete every weekend.

      IMO paintball is more similar to "conventional" sports in terms of organized competitions and tournaments, and having teams with sponsorships from manufacturers and actual fan followings. I remember ESPN broadcasting some NPPL events last year. Again, however, this is only the speedball side of things.

      Woodsball and airsoft are similar, with airsoft obviously tilting more towards milsim. It all depends on the places you go to play (check to see if there are any paintball parks that support woodsball/milsim play or if there are any airsoft organizations/events that exist in your area during the year) and the people you play with (do you have enough friends or friends of friends who also own airsoft guns?)

      The biggest disadvantages with airsoft in the US are that airsoft events are few and far between (unless you live in Southern California...) and the even smaller number of official, legal fields.

      If you live near any airsoft fields, any airsoft clubs, or have a lot of friends with airsoft guns I say go airsoft. Otherwise, chances are better that there IS a paintball field within reasonable distance...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

        Not sure about your state, I know in MA we have a fair number of local airsoft fields (not as many as paintball, but enough to play frequently at different places). Given your seeming inclination towards woodsball I would recommend airsoft, as I would say it is better at woodsball than paintball. Best thing to do is find a local airsoft forum (for example, in MA there is MAASF.org and NEASG.org), the community on the forum should be able to help you in terms of local advise etc. In terms of an AEG to buy, can you let me know what exactly your requirements are? How experienced are you?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

          BTW I did not mean to say that paintball is "better" than airsoft. I myself used to play both and can say that I enjoyed airsoft more; it's just that there weren't any local airsoft fields around where I lived. The nature of eliminating another player without leaving marks requires that all players have integrity and a degree maturity.

          Like I said, go airsoft if there are local field(s) and/or a community.
          If you are beggining, don't go overboard with all the coolz accesories and upgrades, it's way too tempting to overspend when shopping airsoft. The load-bearing ALICE harnesses and replica EOTech's you can get if airsofting ever becomes a serious weekend warrior-hobby.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

            Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
            Not sure about your state, I know in MA we have a fair number of local airsoft fields (not as many as paintball, but enough to play frequently at different places). Given your seeming inclination towards woodsball I would recommend airsoft, as I would say it is better at woodsball than paintball. Best thing to do is find a local airsoft forum (for example, in MA there is MAASF.org and NEASG.org), the community on the forum should be able to help you in terms of local advise etc. In terms of an AEG to buy, can you let me know what exactly your requirements are? How experienced are you?
            Hey man I'm in Massachusetts too about 30 minutes away from Boston. Where do you go to airsoft?

            Yea I always thought that paintball was "better" mainly because it's played more but I looked into airsoft and it seems interesting, but I don't want put a label on airsoft that says it's "better."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

              Originally posted by Mix0lydian View Post
              BTW I did not mean to say that paintball is "better" than airsoft. I myself used to play both and can say that I enjoyed airsoft more; it's just that there weren't any local airsoft fields around where I lived. The nature of eliminating another player without leaving marks requires that all players have integrity and a degree maturity.

              Like I said, go airsoft if there are local field(s) and/or a community.
              If you are beggining, don't go overboard with all the coolz accesories and upgrades, it's way too tempting to overspend when shopping airsoft. The load-bearing ALICE harnesses and replica EOTech's you can get if airsofting ever becomes a serious weekend warrior-hobby.
              With high-cap mags (or even mid-caps), dressing up like an SAS/Special Forces/Delta operator with a helmet, shemagh, replica (or real-deal) CIRAS and all the other pizzazz always hit me as overdressing to a party (or being a wannabe ;) ).

              Get a quality airsoft rifle, a paintball mask spray-painting camo if you want to look cool, two or so high-cap mags, and maybe buy some old uniforms from a army surplus store. Stuff one mag into a cargo pocket, rock with the other one. All that high-speed stuff sucks to wear under exertion. Go insurgent and run around with an olive-drab top and blue jeans. :P

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

                Originally posted by Gill View Post
                With high-cap mags (or even mid-caps), dressing up like an SAS/Special Forces/Delta operator with a helmet, shemagh, replica (or real-deal) CIRAS and all the other pizzazz always hit me as overdressing to a party (or being a wannabe ;) ).

                Get a quality airsoft rifle, a paintball mask spray-painting camo if you want to look cool, two or so high-cap mags, and maybe buy some old uniforms from a army surplus store. Stuff one mag into a cargo pocket, rock with the other one. All that high-speed stuff sucks to wear under exertion. Go insurgent and run around with an olive-drab top and blue jeans. :P
                yea, i've seen videos of guys all hyped up wearing the full camo and stuff its pretty rediculous and awesome at the same time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

                  Well there's certainly a decent bit of that here, but it's all friendly, and pretty welcoming to new players. Check out the two forums I linked in my last post (www.maasf.org and www.neasg.org) they list the local sites and games, and are great for meeting fellow players. On top of that you might want to look at www.arniesairsoft.co.uk, it by far the biggest international site there is, and is good for discussion on more specific matters that the local forums aren't as good at.

                  For sites in MA, Ghost Town is the most frequented, and Citadel just opend up and seems amazing. We used to have an incredible site in Tolland, but it just closed.
                  Look at: http://www.airsoftmap.net/Skirmish to see some more local sites. RPC and FGF (in NH) are both about an hour of driving, and fun sites to play at.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

                    Lol thanks dude, where do you go to airsoft? The closed one to me is Fox4 (on that last link you gave me).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

                      I go to ghost town a fair bit, and I've been up to RPC and FGF on occasion. Havn't yet been to The Citadel, but I hope to get there soon. Currently I'm trying to get my AEG working all the way again, as it is a bit naff at the moment (BBs are not feeding in full auto, and less than desirably in semi). As I said, best advice is to register on the forums, read the rules and stickies, and ask some questions. Make sure that you've read as much as possible, and are asking in the right places though, people get t'd off with people asking questions that could have been answered with a bit of searching.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Paintball vs. Airsoft

                        Hobby - Airsoft
                        Some fun to have occassionally - Paintball

                        Reason: Airsoft usually has a better chance of having different fields and different things on the fields while paintball has more/less the same fields and can get repetitive rather quickly. Just my 2 cents though.

                        Comment

                        Connect

                        Collapse

                        TeamSpeak 3 Server

                        Collapse

                        Advertisement

                        Collapse

                        Twitter Feed

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X