Football official (as in referee) question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football official (as in referee) question

So for once, Google has failed me. Thus, I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge I seek.

In the NFL, the referee and the umpire have distinctive hats. The referee wears a white one compared to everyone else's black one to mark him out. In years past, I swore that the umpire had a black one with white stripes while every other official wore solid black. However, I notice that all the other officials aside from the referee now wear black hats with white stripes.

BUT, I've noticed that the umpire's hat now has what looks like fuzzy balls on either side of the cap's bill, right where the bill and the main cap join. Is there any purpose to this other than making the umpire look like a distorted Mickey Mouse? It seems really... odd.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Football official (as in referee) question

Could it be some kind of microphone?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

No, you are correct they did change the hats several times, the white hat is for the head ref, if you see him throw his hat thats a bad sign, means someone got ejected, here is some more reading for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officia...rican_football)

Comment

It could also mean that he already threw the yellow flag and he saw another penalty. Like a secondary flag. But I don't know about colors and what not. I saw refs have Red hats a few weeks ago during a throwback game.
        sigpic
        I'm Back.

Comment

Yeah that is from the old AFL

Comment

But I'm really just curious about fuzzy balls.

And yes, you're allowed to make fun of that.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
              But I'm really just curious about fuzzy balls.

And yes, you're allowed to make fun of that.
              Do you have any pictures of said fuzzy balls?
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X