Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads up: Steam phishing attempt by a TG member.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up: Steam phishing attempt by a TG member.

Just wanted to give everyone who is a member of the TG Steam group a heads up. I just got an IM over Steam from |TG-21|Buriu with a link purporting to be an offer from Nvidia for 3 free games. The link, of course, was for a Steam clone site. Heads up to everyone and Buriu, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I'm sorry your account was hacked, buddy.

*EDIT* hacked account, not by a TG member. Still, important to be vigilant so it doesn't happen to you!
    Last edited by Buckets; 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Heads up: Steam phishing attempt by a TG member.

Yes, my account has been hacked, and I am now dealing with the nightmare. If anyone is reading this and on my friends list, DO NOT ENTER YOUR INFO INTO WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE STEAM PAGE! I got the same message from |TG-Irr|Towuaway, who was on my friends list, and foolishly I just trusted it. Two seconds after I tried to log into the fake Steam page, I was sent three emails ssaying my pass and secret question had been changed. I have sent a ticket into Steam, but have not heard anything back yet. Sorry guys, please don't enter any info into the steam page, it is a scam.

B

Comment

I just got a message from noir telling me to go to a threeforfree website which claims that nvidea is giving 3 free games away on steam. My browser told me it was a forgery, but it's clear that noir has also been hacked.

Comment

Got it from Towuaway. I saw it was a .tz sight and immedietly knew what was up.
        |TG|Ghost02
        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

This really sucks. :( I hate to see people getting their accounts hacked like this. :( Seriously scummy people behind this.
          sigpic

Comment

Wow thanks for the heads up. Don't forget people. Think twice before wring down that pw!

Comment

Sorry guys, got hit by |TG-Irr|Towuaway too apparently it will actually slip into the Steam groups and hit names from there too, because Tow was a message from a user in a similar group, Buriu I got a message from a user with your name that I ignored.
              EVE Online- Savanna Skye & Kaliska Star
              Proud creator of Cataclysmic Variable the best little 1 person corp out there.

CS:Source/L4D: |TG-303rd| Noirangel

Comment

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep an eye out.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I had one from "Noir". The anti-virus caught it but I was definitely not prepared for it.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I also was close to opening that web page from you too Noir. Luckily firefox rocks.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Any word from towaway on this?

POE2 Developer

Comment

Yeah for soem reason my steam account opens everything in IE, IE = fail
                        EVE Online- Savanna Skye & Kaliska Star
                        Proud creator of Cataclysmic Variable the best little 1 person corp out there.

CS:Source/L4D: |TG-303rd| Noirangel

Comment

Originally posted by NoirAngel View Post
                          Yeah for soem reason my steam account opens everything in IE, IE = fail
                          Yeah, not exactly sure how to change the setting, steam actually uses IE as it's web browser (when using the overlay), and defaults to it when opening things outside of itself. As a word of advice to everyone else, use firefox to avoid most of those issues, I got messages from burio and noir, but both links were flagged as phishing. As a general rule, whenever you see the login screen for steam on the web you should be sure to check the URL.

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
                            Yeah, not exactly sure how to change the setting, steam actually uses IE as it's web browser (when using the overlay), and defaults to it when opening things outside of itself. As a word of advice to everyone else, use firefox to avoid most of those issues, I got messages from burio and noir, but both links were flagged as phishing. As a general rule, whenever you see the login screen for steam on the web you should be sure to check the URL.

chrome also does a pretty good job like firefox;)

Comment

I got one from Noir as well. thank goodness for firefox, I just clicked right on it without thinking.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X