Military Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Novels

Another forumn got me goin on this, did it in another gaming forumn with good turn out for good cross chatter etc. So sound off like ya got a pair..what are u reading now and or what have u read in the past.

Red Storm Rising(HS) Tom Clancy 5 or 6x's best book I ever read!! Would've made an awsome movie!
    Team Yankee Harold Coyle ditto Russian Invasion into Germany
    Sword Point " " Russian Invasion into Mid East
    Bright Star ?
    Red Pheonix 2nd North Korean War my 2nd favorite!
    Know I'm forgetting a cpl here. Currently looking for a new one.
    "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
    "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
    Norman Schwarzkopf

Re: Military Novels

I made a thread about this a while back, had some really good recommendations.

My favorite bar-none was The Mission, the Men and Me: a Story of a Delta Force Commander. Very enlightening and definitely will make you think.

edit: here's the thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...endations.html

House to House was another really good book, as was Lone Survivor.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Well for fiction, I really enjoy the Dale Brown series.

May have some slight spoilers

Its mostly based on 'top secret military base in the middle of the Nevada desert' (AKA area 51, but its never called that.) For the most part they deal with a HIGHLY modified B52, and give it better maneuverability, ECM, and weapons (including air to air.) The first novel (Flight of the Old Dog) the aircraft is just a prototype, and missing some changes which are later mentioned in the series. As the books go on, its about the commander (General Elliott and Patrick McLanahan) get some enemies, both in the foreign government and the American, as well as some allies. Also other aircraft are mentioned, but for the most part the main one is the B52.

He also has a few books which are not based on that series. Act of war (yes it is based on the game) and its sequel, Edge of Battle Both of those books also dont deal a lot with the Air Force (if i remember correctly)

If I remember correctly, Day of the Cheetah and Tin Man both have some of the same characters but are only loosely based on that first story line mentioned. Tin Man also doesn't really deal with the Air Force.

Comment

I read Red Phoenix while I was stationed in Korea, it was passed down from turtle to turtle and was required reading.
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Inside Delta Force is a really good one.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Black Hawk Down
            Generation Kill
            One Bullet Away
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

britsh books
              sniper one
              3 para

whilst not stories are still good reads

Chris Ryan (SAS guy who walked 300 miles during 1st gulf war)
              he has lots of books i really enjoy them. Kremlin device is good one

also Andy Mcnab (chris ryan's SL)
              he has also written some very good books.

oh and +1 for dale browns Dreamland series!

Comment

Only read one of the dreamland sub series, and enjoyed that book. Want to read a couple more.

Comment

"Flyboys" by James Bradley. I could not put this book down. He traces the military tension and rivalry between the United States and Japan back to 1850 (or thereabouts) when the United States anchored a naval warship in Tokyo Bay. There is more to this story but it causes a shock-wave in Japanese society and makes their leaders realize their military must move away from its feudal origins and modernize. There is also a detailed exploration of morality in war and how it is seen from opposing sides. He also thinks the Emperor of Japan should have been prosecuted for war crimes.

BTW, he is also the author of "Flags of Our Fathers".

Red Storm Rising is my favorite Tom Clancy book.
                  "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
                  "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Originally posted by Call911 View Post
                    Bright Star ?
                    Would I were steadfast as thou art? LOL, jk. That's also a John Keats poem (and MOVIE!). :P
                    I really haven't gotten around to reading many military novels, but I have a bunch of Clancy's that look like they'll be great.

sigpic
                    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                    something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
                      Would I were steadfast as thou art? LOL, jk. That's also a John Keats poem (and MOVIE!). :P
                      I really haven't gotten around to reading many military novels, but I have a bunch of Clancy's that look like they'll be great.
                      If u hav'nt read Red Storm Rising an have it, it's a must read! I've read it like 5 times lol..its that good.
                      "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                      "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                      Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

Red Storm Rising(HS) Tom Clancy 5 or 6x's best book I ever read!! Would've made an awsome movie!
                        Red Pheonix 2nd North Korean War my 2nd favorite!
                        Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
                        I read Red Phoenix while I was stationed in Korea, it was passed down from turtle to turtle and was required reading.
                        Originally posted by ArmoredBear View Post
                        Red Storm Rising is my favorite Tom Clancy book.
                        If u hav'nt read Red Storm Rising an have it, it's a must read! I've read it like 5 times lol..its that good.
                        Somewhat little known fact...

Larry Bond (author of Red Phoenix) actually co-authored Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. I believe Clancy did the majority of the geo-political content and Bond did the majority of the technical and tactical content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_B...writing_career

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Dont quote me on this but did'nt he do Bright Star too? An actually now that I think of it I think he(Larry Bond) was the author of Sword Point.
                          Also believe Clancy did some consuling for the navy(not positive) an Red Storm may have been an actual war game during the 80's, which I believe is in somewhat how Red Storm Rising came to light. Don't quote me on it though.
                          Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

I certainly have Red Storm Rising. The surprise is that I knew where I had it, lol. I broke my unwritten rule of only reading two books at a time to start it. First ten chapters aren't bad. My only concern: a false-flag op, already? Oh well, otherwise it does seem pretty good I guess. The pages will keep turning.

sigpic
                            "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                            something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X