Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for americans here

Hi all,
    Since the web is kind of unclear on this subject, and many of you guys here are americans, and are into military stuff like me, I figured I could ask this here.
    I am planning to go on Work and Travel in USA student program this summer. I want to visit all the major cities and travel across the continent and even visit Mexico. But one thing is of greatest interest to me. Can a foreign citizen that has temporary visa and work permit (for 5 months) own and carry a firearm in USA? Its not like I need it but I am great gun nut and here you cannot even buy an air gun without much hassle, let alone own a firearm (that right is reserved mostly for criminals here), I just want to own my own gun for at least some time. I passed basic firearm and practical shooting training here, and spent countless rounds at the range. Is there any chance to own either long or short gun being a foreigner?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Question for americans here

I found this for you, Geronimo.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...w-own-gun.html

It contains a bit of information. I encourage you to contact the ATF ( http://www.atf.gov/ ) and obtain more detailed information. Keep in mind that each state has different regulations concerning gun ownership, so what may be valid in one state may get you into trouble in another one.

Comment

I'm unsure as to the ownership laws, but I know for a fact that you are allowed to use them in range settings. So if you do find out that you cant actually own one while you're here, you can still get a small fix going to a shooting range and popping off some rounds with rentals. We have people all over the US and lots of gun enthusiasts, so if you're looking for a range in any particular city, we can probably direct you to the good spots.

Comment

Thanks for answering guys, looks like I would have to remain in same state for 3 months which means I would be able to own a gun for 2 months :) What states are least restrictive about gun ownership? I heard Texas and Vermont (which is small, so small chance for a job there).
        Also, is it possible to fire full auto weapons at range? Like Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot, but everyday? And what are prices of ammo at ranges there? Here they are ridiculous, like 1 dollar for a .45 bullet.
        Gun enthusiasts here have a choice to become cops or drool over images on the internet :)

Comment

Hey Gero, there are many "Gun" states. Texas and Vermont are good examples. But there are many others. I think a bit of research on some websites would be the best way to figure which one is ideal.

As far as ranges, YES! You can shoot fully automatic firearms at many ranges, EVERYDAY!

There are many of them out there, so find out where you are going, and then google for ranges close by. Most indoor ranges I have come across have a few fully automatic weapons. I will be honest though, some are MUCH better than others.

Good luck
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo989 View Post
            And what are prices of ammo at ranges there? Here they are ridiculous, like 1 dollar for a .45 bullet.
            I don't buy ammo at the range but if you buy in bulk (250 rounds or more) online you can get 12 gauge ammo for as little as 25 cents a round and rifle ammo for as little as 60 cents with pistol ammo somewhere in between. I recently purchased 300 rounds of Winchester "white box" 9mm for a little over $100 with shipping from Cabelas. That's about 33 cents a round.

Comment

My understanding is that if you are here on a non-immigrant visa, you cannot purchase or possess firearms.

I could be wrong, but honestly, if you're just here for a few months, trying to purchase a firearm and risk running afoul of firearm or immigration law is probably more hassle than it's worth. If you're a foreigner, found to be in illegal possession of a firearm, it's just not gonna look good, you know?

See http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

There are however lots of shooting ranges that you can visit to try a wide variety of weapons.

Comment

I definitely do not want to end up in US prison, i have seen how they look in movies :) I am planning to visit as many ranges as I can to shoot all kinds of stuff they have. What about states like Vermont or Alaska, do they ask for any document when you purchase a gun there?
                Also, one non-gun related question, if anyone is informed about it: How much do they pay jobs like non qualified construction worker (the one that carries cement bags and stuff)? I did that here for some time, and it is best paid of all those job that you can do for short periods and don't require any school. And I want to get rid of some lame job that I will get by program ASAP.

Comment

What about states like Vermont or Alaska, do they ask for any document when you purchase a gun there?
                  Firearms are regulated both federally, and by the states. In all 50 states, when you purchase a firearm from a dealer, you need a valid ID, and for us non-citizens, proof of residency within the state, and proof of immigration status (Green card etc).
                  They will call in a NICS background check to the FBI, the FBI in turn will contact immigration authorities (USCIS) to ensure your immigration status doesn't prohibit you from buying a firearm. This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple days.

The FBI will then give the dealer a "Proceed" or "Denied".

If you get the proceed, you hand over your money, and walk out with your firearm.

State laws may have additional requirements, wait periods, fingerprints, etc etc etc.

Private sales beetween individuals are not federally regulated, but if you're prohibited from possess a firearm, you'll still be in violation of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo989 View Post
                    Also, one non-gun related question, if anyone is informed about it: How much do they pay jobs like non qualified construction worker (the one that carries cement bags and stuff)? I did that here for some time, and it is best paid of all those job that you can do for short periods and don't require any school. And I want to get rid of some lame job that I will get by program ASAP.
                    I would expect that as a non-union construction labor worker you will earn anywhere from minimum wage (like $7.25 an hour I think?) to $10/hour in most locations although a lot of places that hire migrant workers will offer less than minimum if they can get away with it or shaft the laborers out of down time (like breaks, travel between sites on the same day, etc).
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Geronimo,

Come to Wisconsin, we will welcome you here. We have very lax gun regulations and on top of it all, we have great beer. Did I mention the cheese? Oh, being a native Chicagolander I have to warn you that you will have to share space with Packers fans so it is a bit of an exchange. If you have no idea what I am talking about, just come for the beer...and cheese,...oh and the shooting ranges.

Semper TG.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Geronimo,

Come to Texas! The only place you can drink and drive, beat your women and shoot your gun off at the same time.

j/k Lots of guns and ranges here though.

Comment

Beer is surely one of primary factors for my choice :) Thank you guys! I'm gonna put a few of those gun friendly states on the list, and look for a job that is best paid. They recommend me lifeguard job, good $$ and you pretty much sit next to a pool and look at the girls :D

Comment

Come to Pennsylvania, we have good gun laws and its the birthplace of America. We also have quite a few breweries here.
                            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X