Poultry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poultry

Turkey seems to be the typical main course for xmas and Thanksgiving in the US. So how do you like to prepare it?

I'm not a fan of turkey, hence I figured I'd make the thread a little more general. I love chicken and dumplings, for example, and cream of chicken soup.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Poultry

I order my smoked turkey from a local butcher shop.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

Brine! Brine! Brine!

My wife's family insists on cooking the turkey is over 200 degrees. (Really you only need 175 for the dark meat and 165 for the white).

Getting it to temperatures over 200 normally dries out the turkey something fierce.

A good brine will keep it reasonably moist. And if you cook it only to the proper temperature it is so juicy and tasty.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

We stuff our full of apples and oranges. De-core the apple, cut the oranges in 1/4's leaving on the rind and then roast on the BBQ. Rub a little Cajon spice on the outside and you are good to go. The apples and oranges give it a real nice flavor.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Brine + real thermometer (not the popup that comes in the turkey) + 30 minutes of sitting after removal from the oven before carving to insure the juice doesn't escape as steam.

Best turkey ever! I never realized how good turkey an be until I made my own (we followed Alton Brown's brine recipe on the Food Network's website).
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Alton Brown is so awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              Alton Brown is so awesome.
              I forgot the link to the recipie I use.

But yes he is.

He considers himself a movie maker first. Saw him on CBS Sunday morning do an interview.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                I forgot the link to the recipie I use.

But yes he is.

He considers himself a movie maker first. Saw him on CBS Sunday morning do an interview.
                Same recipe I used!
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Stuffing is evil:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/tu...ing/index.html

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...transcript.htm
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X