Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAV Project - Need Military opinions

Hi guys -

I am working on a research paper regarding UAV use (with an emphasis on UCAV's) in the military. If anyone here is a member of the military, work for a private contractor, or basically anyone with experience (direct or indirect) with UAV's I would appreciate your input. Even if you don't have any direct experience opinions are always welcome. I've created a small questionnaire if anyone is interested, thanks in advance for helping me out :D:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Are you currently in the military, or have formerly served? If not what relationship do you have with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles?

2. What is your opinion on the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in the combat role?

3. Any other thoughts or opinions on the subject?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your time :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: UAV Project - Need Military opinions

1: AD USAF 8 years
    2: none
    3: UAV's save pilots lives, are stealthy, save JP-8

Comment

I live next to an auxiliary/training strip and hear UAVs flying around all the time, though I have yet to see one. I like the use of them for the most part, except maybe the detachment from the reality of what they are actually doing that pilots might develop. Its one thing to be flying a jet and dropping a bomb you know are going to end lives, and another playing a "video game" at a base here in the US and dropping a bomb.

By the way, this was just posted yesterday and I thought you might like:
      US Secret Plane Uncovered

I'm thinking UAV, as the size just seems off for a manned plane, but who knows.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

As a side note, I was watching some Modern Marvels on Hulu this morning while waking up, and they have an ep on Extreme Aircraft. It has a good segment on the latest in UAVs

http://www.hulu.com/watch/92116/mode...0,vepisode,1,0

Starts a little past half way through. The rest of the show is really good too though, especially the SR-71.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

1. Are you currently in the military, or have formerly served? If not what relationship do you have with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles? Wikipedia: The Encyclopedia for people who wish to look smart(;))

2. What is your opinion on the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in the combat role? I feel as though the world is in a race to develop unmanned combat vehicles. Which is changing the way we see war. Soon I can see us not even needing remote operators. Machines will be fighting machines, or machines will be fighting local militias that are barely equipped to fight a small war, let alone a super power that has an army of robots.

3. Any other thoughts or opinions on the subject? Look out for any programs named Skynet.

Comment

Update about what I posted above was just posted:

USAF Confirms New Secret Stealth Plane

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Why are you limiting yourself to flying stuff? There's also ground and vehicle mounts. Check out the movie Shooter for an example.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

1. 7 years in the Army. Have flown a few UAV's in Iraq

2. I am believe that UAV's enables the soldier to get a better picture of the battlefield and also helps keep soldiers relatively safe during missions.

3. I think that UAVs should be used everywhere when there is the possibility for danger to ground forces

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Remote systems that don't fly:

http://precisionremotes.com/

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, all the feedback worked really well :D.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Here's a cool example of a remotely-piloted tracked vehicle. Check out what it does to an armored well head.

http://www.howeandhowetechnologies.com/video.php?Id=5

Comment

Israeli Robots Remake Battlefield
                        Nation Forges Ahead in Deploying Unmanned Military Vehicles by Air, Sea and Land
                        http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1263...DDLETopStories

Among the recently deployed technologies that set Israel ahead of the curve is the Guardium unmanned ground vehicle, which now drives itself along the Gaza and Lebanese borders. The Guardium was deployed to patrol for infiltrators in the wake of the abduction of soldiers doing the same job in 2006. The Guardium, developed by G-nius Ltd., is essentially an armored off-road golf cart with a suite of optical sensors and surveillance gear. It was put into the field for the first time 10 months ago.
                        Kinda sounds like the MELF from Stargate SG-1.

Comment

MMMMM...stargate....

Comment

Fly your own remote surveillance helicopter, with GPS navigation and aerial video photography:

http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/VideoAbspielen?id=188

The lift capability is impressive. I'd like to know how battery life trades off against payload weight.

Comment

I'm not in the military, but if I had a UAV, I would spy on hot chicks. I don't know if that can fit into your paper or not. Hope it helps.
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X