No announcement yet.

Moon scoops best film and Jones best debut director at British independent film award

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon scoops best film and Jones best debut director at British independent film award

Personally I think it's brilliant Moon got this. Wierdly, the DVD is in the shops already. This was out in July/August! Anyway, none of that rubbish disaster movie being shown at the cinema right now. Understandably Best Director went to Arnold, considering she worked with many 'amateurs' but since I'm a fan of Moon I wouldn't have said "no" to Jones getting it. In fact I would positively bounce up and down that Moon should get it. Best Film though it did get! Will we see awards for: Cinematography by Gary Shaw, Score by Clint Mansell? Acting is a bit tougher. Hmm, classy but I know many good actors out there, so that would be hard. Oscars anyone?

Article below:

"As a child, he was called Zowie Bowie. These days it's the far more sensible Duncan Jones, and tonight he emerged triumphantly from the very large shadow of his father when he picked up two prizes at the British independent film awards.

Forty years after the first Moon landing and 40 years after his dad, David Bowie, released Space Oddity, Jones's retro sci-fi film Moon was named best picture at a ceremony in central London while Jones himself won best debut director.

His film stars Sam Rockwell as the solitary caretaker of a helium-3 mining plant on the Moon with his only companion, it seems, a talking computer system called Gerty, voiced by Kevin Spacey.

Jones, 38, has always been determined to make a successful career by himself. He went to the London film school and honed his skills making adverts for McCain oven chips and French Connection.

Moon was made on what is a tiny budget for a sci-fi film, just 2.5m, helped by money from Trudie Styler.

The Bifas, for British independent films with a budget of less than 10m, are sometimes seen as a pointer for the Oscars the big Bifa winner last year was Slumdog Millionaire.

The other film to win two Bifas last night was Fish Tank, with Andrea Arnold winning best director. The film tells the story of an aggressive but well-meaning Essex girl, Mia, and her relationship with her mum's new boyfriend. Katie Jarvis, who plays Mia and was discovered after a casting agent heard her having a stand-up row with her boyfriend at Tilbury railway station, won most promising newcomer.

Carey Mulligan won best actress for her assured portrayal of a young Lynn Barber in An Education, Nick Hornby's adaptation of Barber's autobiographical memoir.

Tom Hardy won the best actor award for his portrayal of Charles Bronson Britain's most dangerous prisoner, not the Death Wish actor in the film Bronson. Armando Iannucci's In The Loop, the spin-off of The Thick of It, won best screenplay.

In the supporting categories Anne-Marie Duff won for her portrayal of John Lennon's mother in Nowhere Boy, while John Henshaw won for his part as a good-hearted postman in Ken Loach's Looking for Eric.Other awards at the ceremony included one for a Swedish vampire movie directed by Tomas Alfredson, who is signed up to direct Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for Working Title. Let the Right One In won best foreign film.

Mugabe and the White African, which follows a white farming family in Zimbabwe, won best documentary while Love You More was named best short.

The best technical achievement award went to cinematographer Greig Fraser for Bright Star.

Special awards were also given to Daniel Day-Lewis for outstanding contribution to British cinema and Michael Caine, who won the Variety award. A special jury prize was given to the Daily Mail showbiz journalist Baz Bamigboye.

Bifa winners 2009

Best film: Moon

Best director: Andrea Arnold - Fish Tank

Best debut director: Duncan Jones - Moon

Best screenplay: In the Loop

Best actress: Carey Mulligan - An Education

Best actor: Tom Hardy - Bronson

Best supporting actress: Anne-Marie Duff - Nowhere Boy

Best supporting actor: John Henshaw - Looking for Eric

Most promising newcomer: Katie Jarvis - Fish Tank

Best achievement in production: Bunny and the Bull

Raindance award: Down Terrace

Best technical achievement: Bright Star cinematography, Greig Fraser

Best documentary: Mugabe and the White African

Best British short: Love You More

Best foreign film: Let the Right One In

Richard Harris award for outstanding contribution to British film: Daniel

The Variety award: Sir Michael Caine

Special Jury Prize: Baz Bamigboye"

Re: Moon scoops best film and Jones best debut director at British independent film a

Moon was incredible. Sam Rockwell's acting was certainly top notch. Any sci-fi nut should see this right now.

Re: Moon scoops best film and Jones best debut director at British independent film a

It's great to hear this! Moon was great, but it was partly swamped by all the other sci-fi releases around the same time, so I don't think it got as much publicity as it should have.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

'Grats to them! Much deserved, I must say.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed