Gaming and Time Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming and Time Management

I've come to a sad realization lately. It's that I just hardly play even my favorite games these days. I used to play tons of games. RPG's on the console, BF2 religiously, CS:S every night with you guys. I have found the time recently for WoW, but never have enough time for raids. Since I've had to reformat my computer a couple months ago, I'm FINALLY getting around to installing Steam and getting my old games reinstalled. I just can't seem to find the time for games anymore, even though I love 'em and intend on getting back into CS:S and BF2 (even gonna reinstall BF1942/Desert Combat).

Come to think of it, the reason I quit BF2 was due to it's horribly buggy nature, but it was a phenomenal game when it worked for me.

I don't even have children or a girlfriend to suck up the remainder of my time! So my question to you all is, how do you guys and girls get around to playing your favorite games? Are you guys like me, and still have stacks of PS2 games to catch up on? I still have Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, and FFXII staring at me from my shelves. Haha.

I have a Sega Master System, NES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1/2/3, and tons of games for them and the pc to catch up on. All this catching up to do, while more and more great games continue to be released! I've totally neglected my Wii, and really want to play the New Super Mario Bros., and have yet to beat Little Big Planet or MGS4 on my PS3. All while my copies of Uncharted 1/2 have yet to even have the cases cracked open. Argh! So many games, yet so little time. Hope to see ya'll on CS:S and BF2 soon! :)
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Gaming and Time Management

I have a couple hours most nights to dedicate to gaming. I determine what to play by what I want to play and whether the start and end times work.

My game enjoyment goes like so:
    Project Reality
    L4D2
    MechWarrior Living Legends
    Counterstrike 1.6 with friends
    and some other games

I like to play PR for at least 2 hours or I don't enjoy it. So I play that is I have enough time.
    L4D2 is usually more fun if played through a level, so I allocate about 1.5 hours for that. I only like playing with people so if I can't get a game going online I skip.
    MWLL is a beta version mod for Crysis. I can play this for any length of time, it is newso it piques my interest now and is usually my short game time filler.
    CS1.6 I only play because a friend does, so I get to chat with him.

Single player FPS games I occasionally play but since their keyboard layouts are different I usually don't like switching between. If they have a part you have to remember where to go I end up quitting because I forget between play sessions and I don't ever have many hours in a row to play a game at once which is how I prefer to play single player games. If I dedicated my normal 2 hour time I would probably take a month or so to get through one of them and I just don't enjoy single player games that much for the most part. I still haven't played through Portal although I got that three years ago because I want to play it through, not be interrupted part way through a puzzle.

Final Fantasy and other leveling games I don't enjoy because I don't have time for grinds. I don't enjoy WoW due to the grind although I may have to start that again because my wife enjoys it and it is the only game we can both enjoy playing (I like things other than the grind).

I'd say if you have trouble playing what you want and you want to complete certain games, write up a schedule.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'm just a youngin with no job (and though I do have school that really doesn't matter to much as it only takes time during the first half of the day) so it's pretty much that I have hours and hours every day that I play something or another.

Also, snooggums, most singleplayers these days are only eight or so hours long so you wouldn't have much problem there for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        I'd say if you have trouble playing what you want and you want to complete certain games, write up a schedule.
        That's actually a really good idea! That way I'm not so torn, I end up not playing any of them. Haha. I'll write a list, then. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I don't really play many games anymore, even though I have the time most nights. I think I've been playing games for so long even new games don't really hold my interest very long. They all seem like a colossal waste of time when I can actually do stuff like reading and playing guitar that actually improve my life in a tangible way.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
            Also, snooggums, most singleplayers these days are only eight or so hours long so you wouldn't have much problem there for the most part.
            I would find that disappointing, and would rather not play it at all. With so many good games out there I simply put off buying games for a year after release (mostly) as the bugs are usually resolved or clearly never going to be fixed, extra content may have been added and I have time for feedback from other people on whether the game is truely worth it. I usually buy one new release per year and I'm still working through older games such as the ones I bought on the cheap through Steam's holiday sales that I couldn't bring myself to spend 20 bucks on.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I'm very particular about which games I get, so I don't tend to find myself swamped with games I haven't played yet. I'm still at school as well, so I have more free time than the 'older folk' (how do I phrase that without sounding rude?) with jobs. Also I only play PC games, so I don't have loads of games like Uncharted waiting to be played.
              I'd either go with snooggums' idea of having some sort of schedule for your gaming, or just pick the one at the bottom of the pile and work your way up.
              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Oh man! I'm so excited! The reason I haven't played BF2 in years is because after one particular patch, it never worked again on my computer. It would always crash to the desktop after loading a map. Really made me mad. Well, apparently patch 1.5 was released last year, and not only does it work properly, it FINALLY has native widescreen support!!! Was up til 2 last night playing my favorite maps. Still a lot of people on there and CS:S as well! It's a start. :)

First game on my agenda is Half-Life. I have HL1, 2, and HL 2 Episodes 1 & 2. I never even finished the original game! It's due time I get around to them once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Well, apparently patch 1.5 was released last year, and not only does it work properly, it FINALLY has native widescreen support!!! Was up til 2 last night playing my favorite maps. Still a lot of people on there and CS:S as well! It's a start. :)

First game on my agenda is Half-Life. I have HL1, 2, and HL 2 Episodes 1 & 2. I never even finished the original game! It's due time I get around to them once and for all.
                  Only took them about 4 years to add that widescreen support, they blamed it on 'balance issues' as if that matters in vBF2...

I also have HL2, Episodes 1 & 2. I played part of HL2 but lost it on a reinstall, haven't even started the two episodes but they sure look like they would be fun. Don't set a completion date, give yourself time to get through them at a reasonable pace!
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                    I don't really play many games anymore, even though I have the time most nights. I think I've been playing games for so long even new games don't really hold my interest very long. They all seem like a colossal waste of time when I can actually do stuff like reading and playing guitar that actually improve my life in a tangible way.
                    Maybe you should be trolling some book or guitar website forums dude :)
                    || Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.6GHz || BFG NVidia GeForce GTX 285 OCX || Sound Blaster X-Fi || 4 Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 || Vista 32bit (sucks) ||

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X