Hundreds of Thousands Dead in Haiti?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds of Thousands Dead in Haiti?

"The Haitian prime minister said Wednesday several hundred thousand people may have died in Haiti's powerful earthquake." - CNN

The Big Picture: Devastation in Haiti

Last edited by WhiskeySix; 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM.

Re: Hundreds of Thousands Dead in Haiti?

I predict it will be in the 10s of thousands, it is amazing how many people can survive something so devastating. Still terrible, and of course the widespread poverty in the country means that rebuilding is going to be a long and difficult road.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The worst is to come if medical supplies don't come in. The chance of an epidemic in that kind of situation is very high and on top of it most of the hospital were destroy too from what I heard on the news.

Comment

This has reached us as one of my wife's student's grandfather was killed and her mother is missing. Save the Children is headquartered locally and 1/3 of their staff is missing.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Wow. That's really sad. Haiti was in quite a sorry state to begin with, so I don't know what life will be like for them from here on out. :(
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah, I fear the number of people killed from falling debris is going to pale in comparison to what happens over the next two weeks. There was a large percentage of the population just barely surviving before this happened.

Comment

I have a bad feeling that society there is going to crumble over the next few weeks. It was already pretty dang bad. I pray I'm wrong. Hopefully they'll work together and something positive will come from all of this.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

My mother flew out today to Turk and Caicos Islands today at 10am, she was worried about the tsunami warnings they were having for the area. She was a nervous wreak. They have taken the warning away since the quake was located under land. I'm still worried about all those after-shocks though. Reports said everything was ok on her Islands.

Comment

Global effort underway to move to Haiti and help with money and assistance from around 18 different countries along with the UN. US Marines and Navy ships already on their way, along with Coast Guard, Air Force, and possibly even a brigade from the Army's 82d Airborne.

http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/us-...ictims/1065311

Comment

http://lifehacker.com/5447987/how-an...nd-avoid-scams
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Angry Haitians have used corpses of the dead to set up roadblocks in Port-au-Prince to protest at the delay in emergency aid reaching the country after a devastating earthquake.
                      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ger-grows.html

Haiti, Pat Robertson, and that Story about a Pact with the Devil
                      http://blog.american.com/?p=9393

Has links back to original material, including some deeper analysis of the claims about Haiti's "pact with the devil".
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        I have a bad feeling that society there is going to crumble over the next few weeks. It was already pretty dang bad. I pray I'm wrong. Hopefully they'll work together and something positive will come from all of this.
                        I think you are right. I heard a report on NPR this morning of gangs wielding machetes looting for basic life necessities like food and water. I shudder to think of what will happen to the old, poor and children and families.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                          I think you are right. I heard a report on NPR this morning of gangs wielding machetes looting for basic life necessities like food and water. I shudder to think of what will happen to the old, poor and children and families.
                          agreed. the country is going to be messed up beyond imagination if more help than what is currently being provided gets there soon, Haiti being a poor country as it is this will do nothing but make matters worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            Haiti, Pat Robertson, and that Story about a Pact with the Devil
                            http://blog.american.com/?p=9393

Has links back to original material, including some deeper analysis of the claims about Haiti's "pact with the devil".
                            This was an interesting article. While there are pre-made template arguments for bashing Robertson or religion, there is an economics theory question buried in there, too.

The role of religion in development and economics is often ignored entirely, but I and many others have argued that the Judeo-Christian tradition, as it worked itself out in some Western countries, gave rise to wealth-producing institutions. Conversely, are there elements to Haitian voodoo that have helped keep the country in poverty? I donít know the answer but surely thatís a serious, if uncomfortable and easily misconstrued question.
                            The author's posited question is why Haiti is so poor, while other Carribean nations with equal resources are not. He doesn't dive deeper than this, but it sure does make you go 'hmmmm'.

Comment

I thought Haiti was like 90% catholic? Got me some Googling to do :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X