Best Tactical Shooter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tactical Shooter?

I am looking to get a new game for PC and I'm strongly considering a tactical shooter. I already have 2142 and it is really fun so I'm leaning towards BFBC2, but i want to get your guys opinions. What game should i get?
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Re: Best Tactical Shooter?

BFBC2 will be fast pace like 2142, and the PC beta starts next week and a demo in about a month, and release in a month

If you are ok with a slower pace, a much slower pace, yet deeply tactical, then TG hosts a very successful project reality server and ArmA2 server

Comment

I actually was thinking about grabbing BF2 or ArmA 2. But when i saw AvP (Alien Vs. Predator) I'm leaning towards that now. But I'm still undecided. I got to think about this for a while because i only get to buy a game once in a blue moon so i got to get a new one. but right now its either BFBC2 or AvP.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vinman13 View Post
        I actually was thinking about grabbing BF2 or ArmA 2. But when i saw AvP (Alien Vs. Predator) I'm leaning towards that now. But I'm still undecided. I got to think about this for a while because i only get to buy a game once in a blue moon so i got to get a new one. but right now its either BFBC2 or AvP.
        Coming from a PR player:

There's no real way to determine how long this new AVP release will last, or how good it will be. If you get set on buying AVP, I'd suggest getting some feedback from others who did buy or played a significant bit of a (preferably multiplayer) demo. That way, you can tell how long it will stand the test of time; right off the bat, though, I'll tell you it won't last as long as something like Battlefield 2/2142/BC; specialized games tend to flow that way, since players will continually return to a simple Team v Team FPS.

Regarding BFBC2: It's a bit iffy in regards to 'tactics'. You can say Modern Warfare 2 is tactical, but it's no where near as tactical as something like ARMA2 or PR, where tactics are literally discussed for a period before the plan goes into effect; and I'm sure it pales in comparison even to BF2142's current TG player-base. If you're looking for a quick paced bit of "tactical" fun, BFBC2 might be a good pick.

PR is significantly higher in tactic and strategy level. However, at times there are slowdowns in gameplay (waiting for your transport/waiting for dropoff, defending a flag while the rest of time pushes hard on the next objective often resulting in small to no firefights for your group...) but there are also significantly higher 'climaxes' to gameplay. If you have a bit of patience and really want to be immersed in a game, I'd suggest PR.

ARMA2 is even more so higher in tactics and strategy at times than PR. Again, though, there are slow points to gameplay... and they are significantly higher in ARMA2. I've not played ARMA2 in an online game (this computer simply doesn't want to handle it with above decent performance), but driving to an area on the game island can take large amounts of time (30 minutes and up?).

It's really up to how you feel as a player. AVP will certainly bring a lot of fun, but it will likely also lose playerbase relatively quickly after it reaches it's prime. BF2BC will bring a lot of fun, but you might lose interest after a while since it's going to be basically 2142 in a 'modern' setting and without the established TG playerbase. PR will provide a great tactical experience and some heart pounding moments along with a long established and long living playerbase (along with a well established TG server). ARMA2 would provide a great tactical experience as well, but with some connectivity issues as well as long game times, it may not be the right cup of tea for a happy 2142 player.

Comment

Celestial hit the nail on the head with ArmA2. You really have to know that coming into the game, you will have to deal with mission briefings, long wait times as the commander things of the next step or works hard in cordinating offensives. 30 min wait times is not unrealistic as it can occur but it's just a aspect of difficult and well developed missions that test commanders.
          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Id say buy BF2 for scraps and play the PR mod. It is the best tacticalshooter on the market. All the rest is arcade crap not even worth discussing.

And then there is arma2.

I'd say go arma2 if you want to play bots,
            Go PR if you want to play people.

Generally the level of tactics on PR is higher by a lot than Arma. Arma is more like 'acting tactical' while in PR you have to come up with a solution or die, because you are playing against real people. The level of simulation then again (authentic equipment, accuracy modeling etc.) is better on Arma.

You could also say

Go PR if you like tactics,
            go ARMA2 if you are obsessed with military gear.

//done offending ARMA2 players :)

Comment

PR is more close(r, it's still fairly long compared to most shooters) range fireteam to squad tactics, while ArmA is more about medium/long range squad to understrength platoon sized tactics. ArmA is generally on a larger scale than PR, and ArmA because of it suffers in close range.

Really, PR is if you want a tactical shooter and ArmA is if you want a sim. It's not much more complicated than that.

Comment

I'm leaning towards BFBC2
                Lean man lean!!

I'm currently playing 2142, and I pre-ordered BC2, and I hope to see some of you guys on it!

Whoa, Bad Company (the song) JUST came on Pandora, cosmic...

Anyway, Silver is right, get the game that suits your style/pace.

Happy hunting!!

Comment

Thx for the help guys. And Celestial1 your right about AvP. Ill ask some people about it first but so far its about 50-60% that and the rest other games. Mainly cause i like those kind of games a little more than BF. For example i play a lot of Quake 4. NOTHING like any BF or ArmA game. Ill keep on looking for games tho. I still havent decided, im actually very far from deciding.
                  sigpic

Comment

I see now, that your thread title is confusing in that you are really just looking for a new arcade game.

Comment

Best gameplay for tactical shooters - Flashpoint 2
                      Best functionality - ArmA 2
                      Best tactical/team work experience - PR

Comment

Thx for the help guys. And Celestial1 your right about AvP. Ill ask some people about it first but so far its about 50-60% that and the rest other games. Mainly cause i like those kind of games a little more than BF. For example i play a lot of Quake 4. NOTHING like any BF or ArmA game. Ill keep on looking for games tho. I still havent decided, im actually very far from deciding.
                        Things to consider in regards to AVP:

1) It is being made by the same studio who did the original. That puts a bit more favor in it's court in regards to "not sucking the big one"

2) It's certainly going to be fun. I can confidently say that I'm not doubtful about that if the game doesn't turn out to be a big flopping turd from a one-hit-wonder studio.

3) Is it going to last long? No. Honestly, with the gaming market the way it is, it's going to die out in popularity relatively quickly a few months after release. It may very well continue to hold a decent sized playerbase from then on, but games will become less frequent, less full, etc etc. The legions of 15 year old HALO fanboys don't like when teams aren't balanced identically in the exact same ways.

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                        I see now, that your thread title is confusing in that you are really just looking for a new arcade game.
                        Now now, Al, no need to get high and mighty... TG boys are full of diversity in gaming taste... Our tactics are not the tactics for every other man (as much as we may think it should be).

Comment

Just my opinion...
                          [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZvyMQtwC-k[/media]
                          "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                          "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                          Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

I dont see how PR is more tactical than arma. Not trying to start a fight but i'm being serious. Can someone explain it to me? Maybe some examples? Please? Not trying to flame but really honestly asking.

In arma you have to plan every aspect of the battle and unlike PR the max number of enemy we go agains can sometimes reach upwards of 100 AI against like 30 players. Plenty of fast paced fighting there trust me. Plus we also do large scale TvT like 20 on 20 sometimes.
                            That being said

PR is fun if you just want to shoot stuff
                            ArmA is fun if you want to play Army

Thats the basic difference
                            Last edited by Dredge; 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM. Reason: edited for language

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                              Go PR if you like tactics,
                              go ARMA2 if you are obsessed with military gear.

//done offending ARMA2 players :)
                              Oh..You did that on purpose!... :icon19:
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed