Server Downtime - Server Upgrade - Site Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Downtime - Server Upgrade - Site Upgrade

As many of you may have noticed, there have been a few outages recently on the TacticalGamer.com web site. This is something I have been working on addressing over the past month but the outage today has really pushed this to critical status.

TG has continued to grow at a steady rate and that has certainly taken its toll on both performance and overall capability. As a result this is necessitating a few changes that will, unfortunately, need to take place very rapidly.

To start; TG is going to get a new primary web server. When this new web server comes online, I am going to be RAPIDLY migrating the site over to it. This migration is not just going to be a new server but new back end software as well. The new software will bring a number of improvements in both efficiency and functionality as drastically reduce the number of third-party modules we need to support various services.

During this migration the design of the site will be changing as well as the layout. A new content management system will be deployed and some of the existing functionality will be changing.

Here's what you need to know:

It is VERY likely that the blogging system will need to be restarted. I realize that its not a very popular feature, but I want to give those of you that DO use the system enough notice to copy any important content you have in your blogs so you can re-add it to the new system.

When the new site goes live, the user interface is going to look different. I am going to work as fast as I can to get it up to par; but I would really appreciate patience during this time to allow me to get things back to normal.

When the new site goes live, the IP address is going to change. This will result in some people not being able to access the new site immediately. I am going to do everything I can to eliminate this delay by reducing the TTL values for our DNS records. Just remember, the "ipconfig /releasedns" command may be your friend during this time. If you can't access TG, make sure you close all your browser windows, run that command in a DOS prompt, and then try again. If that doesn't work, it may take an hour or two for your ISP to cache the new DNS records.

Once again, I apologize for all of this and I've been trying for a while now to work on this in the background and not affect users, but I would rather risk some visual unpleasantness with the site for a couple days than risk losing data and extended downtime.

Planned maintenance is always better than unplanned maintenance!!

I will update THIS thread as this process progresses. Remember. It's going to be rapid!!!!!!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Server Downtime - Server Upgrade - Site Upgrade

Server has been ordered. It will provide roughly 8x the capacity of our current environment in both processing and storage capacity.

Waiting for initial provisioning to be completed.

Comment

As a side note; I am also going to try to coordinate the full TeamSpeak 3 upgrade during this same period. Provided I can keep track of that many windows open at once and not mess stuff up! :)

Comment

Thanks for putting in all the elbow grease (or would it be finger grease) boss! I'm sure everyone is going to greatly appreciate the new features and expanded capacity. Here's to many more years of continued growth at TG!

Comment

Thanks Ferris!

Comment

I like upgrades. Good job!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for continually improving TG!

Now, I have a question. Who else around here had NNNOOOOOO idea we had a Blog feature besides me? LOL
              |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

Thanks for the upgrade!
                sigpic
                I'm Back.

Comment

Thanks so much Apophis! You make this community.

What is the blog you speak of?

Comment

Thanks for diving in. I know these things take a lot of time (and even more on this scale).
                    Care to share tech specs on the new webserver machine? :)
                    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

The blogs are under the Resources menu along with other stuff like the TG member map. They really don't get used much, but in the new system finding them is a bit easier as all the content is cross-linked.

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf View Post
                        Thanks for diving in. I know these things take a lot of time (and even more on this scale).
                        Care to share tech specs on the new webserver machine? :)
                        4x Quad Core Xeon CPUs = 16 Cores Total
                        32GB RAM
                        4x 500GB drives

The new server is a Dell R710, if that makes it easier. :) It's a slightly beefier spec compared to what we just deployed for ARMA and OFP:DR.

Comment

All these new toys, great times. Thanks for the hard work Apo, all of TG will love these changes!

Comment

Looking good, glad too see TG expanding player wise and content wise!

Comment

Any chance existing Private Messages will get thrashed/corrupted/etc. again?
                              |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X