Russian 5th Generation Stealth Fighter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russian 5th Generation Stealth Fighter

Doesn't look too bad, but I have a few concerns about the validity of the design, given the huge air intakes and the fact that it doesn't seems like there is much room for internal bays: the F22 has 2 dedicated Aim-9X internal hardpoints and (if I remember correctly) can carry up to 6 Aim-120C missiles or a combination of bombs/rockets/missiles in the ventral bay (not to mention all the stuff it can potentially carry under the wings). This plane, on the other hand, looks like it will have to carry most of its payload externally, forfeiting its stealth capabilities.
    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
      Doesn't look too bad, but I have a few concerns about the validity of the design, given the huge air intakes and the fact that it doesn't seems like there is much room for internal bays: the F22 has 2 dedicated Aim-9X internal hardpoints and (if I remember correctly) can carry up to 6 Aim-120C missiles or a combination of bombs/rockets/missiles in the ventral bay (not to mention all the stuff it can potentially carry under the wings). This plane, on the other hand, looks like it will have to carry most of its payload externally, forfeiting its stealth capabilities.
      According to Wiki (Take it for what you will) the PAK FA has 10 internal bays and 2 external bays which can carry these missiles:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA-12_Adder
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA-11_Archer

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
      Erwin Rommel

Comment

A good read here: http://steeljawscribe.com/2010/02/01...-sukhoi-pak-fa

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
          Good read indeed. Looks like my initial feelings about that airplane were somewhat right, although the article enters into the details while I simply guessed. :D
          It could be possible for the airplane to carry up to 8 missiles, however, if it loads 2 missiles 1 on top of each other per-bay. It would still means that it can carry 8 missiles, that it is hard to design, that the missiles wouldn't be all selectable and I doubt that you can stack missiles in that way and have them fit in the airframe anyway.
          Still, the plane doesn't look too bad and Russian technology, while much maligned in the media, is pretty advanced, if a bit utilitarian in design. Also, this is still a prototype, and as such the finished model might end up being bigger enough to carry a few more missiles.
          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...