21st-Century Shooters Are No Country for Old Men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st-Century Shooters Are No Country for Old Men

Here's an article from Wired that I think most of us can relate to. I posted a comment suggesting readers check us out if they're looking for mature game play. We'll see if it brings us any new friends.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: 21st-Century Shooters Are No Country for Old Men

That sucks, When Did I get old?????
    I was lost, but now I found you in my sights.

Comment

“Most younger players,” he says, “are so obsessed with keeping their kill/death ratio high that they rarely play correctly in tactical games."
      Interesting statement.

Comment

coming from one of the most kill/death eccentric games out there I can tell you, there are young people still dying to find good tactical play! Although our game is drastically different from the vanilla version, we get quite a good influx of new people with it's fair share of those that don't.

- -

Comment

Being the age of the writer and his friends I understand his pain. Oh do I understand:)

Comment

Even when I was 14-15 I did not have the reflexes of the guys that would post 15/1 KD ratios. But I would be right up there with them.

My success in FPS games always comes from tactical awareness, knowing the maps cold, and predicting what the enemy will do. There is no twitch reflex required when you are shooting someone in the back of the head.

Unfortunately, Halo started a FPS craze that drastically reduces the effectiveness of playing smart, or tactical.
            You could get the jump on someone in Halo, and if they had better reflexes they could still whip around and kill you. Combine this style of FPS with small maps and team sizes, and one or two players can dominate the game. I don't enjoy, and don't play that style of FPS. Halo players hate PC shooters for the same reasons, its a much different style of play. My younger brothers (Halo rats) tried to play the BF: BC 2 beta and were appalled by things like bullet drop and bullet travel time.

So I guess the thread title is correct, but not for the reasons given. If you jump into Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2 and try use a tactical and realistic approach, you will get your head handed to you. If you want to jump around like a madman while no-scoping and knifing people, go for it.

Comment

Somebody go and pitch TG to the Wired masses :)

...oh wait somebody already did on comments page 2
              former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Some truth to it, though. My brothers care a great deal about their K/D ratios. I don't really understand why, but they care to they point that they get agitated when I'm playing on their Xbox Live accounts and getting blowed up.

Comment

FWIW, you see a similar thing happening in World of Warcraft. Us old timers played long slow dungeons with lots of tricky puzzle fights. Blizzard recently added a feature to the game to make it much easier to gather groups for dungeons, and you can always spot the youngsters connecting to old dungeons. They tend to drop out of the group fairly quickly as they get bored fast with the more complicated subject matter. They prefer the newer "run and gun" dungeons that are over with in a matter of minutes to one that can take hours to savor.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X