20 things someone wants changed in games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 things someone wants changed in games

Just saw this on Slashdot. Thought it was an entertaining read.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/...manifesto.html
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: 20 things someone wants changed in games

That's a great read. Parts of it are just hilarious.

"Marine, we need you to head to the depths of the compound to rescue a scientist that is being held hostage by Satan and his manyfold minions. Here's your pistol and eight rounds of ammunition. Good luck."

so true, so true.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

That was a good read, and it looks like there are other interesting articles in the "Also See" section. I already read, "Halo 2 and the criminal mind," it was interesting, and effing hilarious.

Comment

Looks like somebody has to stick with PC gaming. The one game that I will always compare to other FPS games is Operation Flashpoint. It has freedom to do just about anything. You man vehicles, share weapons and ammo, get flanked by AI, parachute out of aircraft, give elaborate squad orders, huge landscapes without invisible barriers, etc. This game is five years old but it's on the PC.

New genres... hmmm I don't know what you can get out of a console. Your controller is a D-pad, a mini joystick and some buttons. You come up with a new idea and make a game for us. Ever play Savage? That was a blend of FPS and RTS but you'd never see that on a console. It was completely different game play. Ever hear of Introversion Software? They did Uplink and Darwinia. Two completely different games that have game play rarely done. Uplink replicates a PC environment so you'd need a mouse. Darwinia is like an RTS so once again you need a mouse.

Adventure games? They're still around on the PC. I just played The Moment Of Silence and it was decent. However, that kind of game just isn't suited for a console. The interface would be messy. Other past adventure games released are Post Mortem and Siberia.

While consoles are great for gaming, it's simple gaming. It's made for easy playing. Insert disc, play. No modding, limited interface controls. Consoles are going to need a mouse and keypad as standard interface devices to really start varying the type of games made for it. The writer does make good points about console and PC games but it seems that all the good features in games came from PC games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

That was a good read. Thanks!

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

That touched my heart. Truly it did, and sadly that artical while sarcastic is totally true. If there was only one thing I wish that would happen from that article is the improvement of AI. I love multiplayer games and all that but sometimes the idiocy of the internet I think is seeping into my brain... I just need to play games with computers that at least appear to have an IQ of 80-100 that's all I'm asking (you know... they actually use cover). That is what I have been asking for since I started playing games... Guess it won't happen any time soon...

Seph Out.

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
            - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Comment

Really was a great read.

I think the online "micro-transaction" thing *will* be attempted though. People will be willing to fork over money in small increments continuously I think. People are fine with subscription fees, at least this way they'll get something specific back for it.

No more jumping puzzles... we can't see our feet. LOL. When will they start rendering your feet? Soon I think... To add to the immersion if nothing else.

Also some sad points about high quality rendering raising the cost of game development. And that might stunt innovation and risk taking. And make games shorter(or REPETITIVE). And there is a lot of focus on the eye-candy as opposed to good plot storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
                No more jumping puzzles... we can't see our feet. LOL. When will they start rendering your feet? Soon I think... To add to the immersion if nothing else.
                That's why I compare every game to Operation Flashpoint. It renders your entire body. You can look down to see your feet and still point your gun forward.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                  That's a great read. Parts of it are just hilarious.

"Marine, we need you to head to the depths of the compound to rescue a scientist that is being held hostage by Satan and his manyfold minions. Here's your pistol and eight rounds of ammunition. Good luck."

so true, so true.
                  I second that. I played a game where I had to save the president but all they gave me was a knife. Someone must've really hated the president, or me, or both.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X