Amateur Radio operators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur Radio operators

Recently, I've been gaining interest in Amateur Radio. I've established a connection with the local Amateur Radio club in my area and I'm saving up for my equipment.

I'm curious if there are any Amateur Radio operators here at TG?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Amateur Radio operators

yep. I'm one of them.

Comment

Same here! KG4QLX
      [volun]

Comment

Wonderful! I'm just loaded down with questions.

What kind of equipment do you use? How long have you been doing it, and how often do you use it for recreation or for a specific purpose/need?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I got my ticket in 2001. My callsign is KG4QLX.

My equipment is very modest. My base is a Yaesu FT-767GX, which was state of the art around 20 years ago. Now it's a dinosaur but it still works fine. I use it mostly on 10 meters. I have an HF dipole antenna I've been meaning to put up for years, but it hasn't happened yet...

I also have an old Alinco DR570 2m/440cm radio in my shack, which uses a Diamond dual band antenna.

I have an 2m/440cm HT in my vehicle which I can unmount easily for walking around with it. It's an Icom T7H. It'll do 6 watts, which for me is plenty, even in my truck (I do use an outside antenna).

It's mostly recreation for me, chatting with a few friends who are hams. Other than that, I mostly enjoy monitoring the amateur bands for interesting conversations. I do think it's a useful tool for information and indispensable for emergencies. Many is the time I've gotten local information or directions when traveling in a strange area. I'm also trying to build some contacts in the remote area where I camp. You never know when it might be be a lifesaver.

There's a lot to experiment with...digital modes, amateur TV, moon bounces, internet links, ARES, RACES, MARS, local clubs, field days, ARRL contests, check-ins, nets, swap meets... as little or as much as you want to get involved in. And most hams are the friendliest bunch of folks you'll ever meet.
          [volun]

Comment

Two years later an update...

Damonte is studying for his Technician License. Exam is next week Wednesday.

Comment

Surely there are more than two Ham radio licensee's in all of TG?

Comment

You may now refer to me forthwith as KD8RYA.

Comment

Congratulations, KD8RYA!

I never had the time to get into ham radio, but I always was intrigued by it. Kinda wanted to say hi to the astronauts sometime... or, before they decommissioned them, listen to the space shuttle launches.

Comment

Thread necromancy at it's best... though I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Achieved my Amateur Extra license, and in the process of setting up the ham shack now. Purchased a Yaesu FT-950 base station, an Astron RS-50M power supply and built an end-fed half-wave antenna that'll tune 80m/40m/20m/10m. I just need to get about a hundred feet of LMR-400 low loss coax cable to run from the base station to the antenna feed point. Oh, and I need to pound an 8ft copper plated steel grounding rod for an RF ground.

Then I should be able to get on the air and transmit.

Comment

I got me a scanner....thats as far as I got. I listen in to the airport although more when my buddy was flying out of there. "Dude, your the dorkiest sounding pilot." you know, like good friends do.

One day I will get me a rig & join the local club. Then I'd love to do the beacon hunting events...I forget what they called them.
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer
                      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                      189th Infantry Brigade Member
                      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Fox hunting! And it's a lot of fun. Where is your local club located out of?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X