Community.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community.

What image does this community want to bring forth to the rest of the WWW? Are we nub friendly in any regards, or are we expected to be at the top of any game we wish to participate in?
    USAR

Re: Community.

Parts of this are outdated, but it kinda sums up the image that TG wants to present to the rest of the world: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/CommunityImage
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That is fine and dandy and all, but what about in regards to having players adapt to this play style? It says we focus on teamwork and tactical gameplay, but what about in terms of respecting other players, teaching other players, and having patience?
      USAR

Comment

Perhaps these will help?

TG General FAQ

TG Community FAQ
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

:/ Still doesnt explain where we stand for bringing players into our style.
          USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
            Well, I don't know quite how to answer that... I suppose it depends on the game and how tactical the actual game is. Some of our games have quite a few rules that make the gameplay VERY different from public servers. Some have only a few rules that don't really make the gameplay too different from public servers. So it all depends...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

"Top of the game" isn't a requirement. Hell, being "good" isn't a requirement.

TG is friendly to the nub that wants to learn a given game and is willing to listen and adapt to how we play it. How we play (respect, objective, blah blah blah) is outlined in the FAQs and stuff. Someone who doesn't get the TG rules but is trying to is generally fine and dandy, but someone who shows no respect for them will be on the reciving end of a kick/ban.

So, in terms of skill, all are welcome. Gameplay-wise, so long as there's a token effort (that increases with time) to play the game's objectives, all are welcome. A dearth of respect for objectives will end up with the player being removed from the community.
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

To add to what Pokferface said;

Someone who understands or is truly trying to learn our style of play will do fine. But if that individual chooses to learn through debating the rules or style of play, pushing the limits, or arguing with admins about WHY things are the way they are.... Well... That person might find themselves in a tough spot.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

What image does this community want to bring forth to the rest of the WWW? Are we nub friendly in any regards, or are we expected to be at the top of any game we wish to participate in?
                  In answer to your actual question.

TG should present itself as noob friendly, but there has to be a certain level of respect involved towards both the players and the admins. Neither group should really push those limits. The admins do have a job to do and they shouldn't allow the gameplay in their charge to suffer, but they shouldn't push out the new players either.

Tactical Gamer may not be right for everyone. And even for those that fit in well, not all games may be right for them in our environment. It's always going to be a balancing act though and things will undoubtably tip one way or the other at various points.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I think the more organized we get, the better we will be at this. The core of each game mini-community here is quite good at offering to teach new players the ins and outs of there respective games.

I can't tell you how many offers to train in Natural Selection I have gotten, or how many offers to train in Flight Sims I have recieved, merely by expressing interest in those games. Eventually, the stars will align, and I will take both groups up on their offers.

And I shouldn't have to say anything about PCS, but I will. The PCS community here looks to the outsider as if it is a bunch of feuding cats caught in a bag, but in reality, they are quite good at leading new players through the basics. Since Root started PCS training, this effort can only get better.

All this, however, hinges on the respect that the player gives the community here. Random Noob010101 will not get very far if they state they know PCS, and then proceed to violate every tennet of it, while slandering everyone that tries to teach him.

Respecting the players in the community, and the rules we play by are key to the success of anyone coming in here. If they can't do that, then they shoudln't be here at all.

Comment

As a community, I've never seen any indication that we take value from trying to competitively lead in the community of the games we play. Sure, winning is fun, but it's far from the top of our totem pole. In my experience, those who do lead competitively in a game's community are children compared to the average age of TG's target market -- fine people with fewer (more time for gaming), more predictable (easier to schedule that time), and generally less complicated (more likely to stay committed to that schedule) demands on their time than the average gamer in TG's target demographic. Exceptions exist on both sides of the aisle. Always have. Always will.

I notice a pattern in TG. It's based on years of observation. Adults, whatever age they may be, and whatever game(s) they play, feel most welcomed here. MOST. WELCOMED. Chldren, whatever age they may be, and whatever game(s) they play, do not.

I know this seems unlikely -- such an absolute, but I can't think of ONE time -- EVAR -- when a player was ostracised (systematically -- beyond heated, frustrated moments) from this place for being "nub" about a GAME.

What I HAVE noticed -- and participated in -- is the ostracization of a player because he was "nub" about being an ADULT. We DO give people slack.. we DO give people a chance, but, while we WILL allow your presence perpetually if you suck at a GAME, we will NOT perpetuate our tolerance of your inability to act like an ADULT.

<3 squeak -- great thread.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't mean to be a cynic but is this a loaded question? Was there an experience that prompted you to post this question?

[volun]

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_McDermott
                          I don't mean to be a cynic but is this a loaded question? Was there an experience that prompted you to post this question?
                          Yes there was :/ But that is being handled privately... as I shouldnt publicly post my dirty laundry (which out of haste and resentment I had done prior to this post, but now know the errors of my ways).

I had expectations of what kind of atmosphere to expect on all the TG servers, and I didnt fully get what I expected (wyz has spoiled me). The reality of the situation is at the end I had overreacted, but mind you I "felt" crushed and offended at times.

---------------------------------------

More on topic: This is what I had and still believe apo and wyz. Im just flushed.
                          USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X