Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Next-Gen Consoles Kill Off PC Gaming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Next-Gen Consoles Kill Off PC Gaming?

I saw this on Slashdot and thought it would be an interesting discussion.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/0...?tid=206&tid=4
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Will Next-Gen Consoles Kill Off PC Gaming?

Not for me... the things that have kept me a faithful PC gamer for a while now are game mods and gaming communities. Consoles dont allow for mods nor do they have communities like tactical gamer.

When I am able to fire up tactical gamer on a console and make a post about T_Bear's mom and then jump on the TG NS server and shoot him in the head, I will be converted.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

PC gaming will never die. PC games are better looking and much smoother. Also no one likes to aim with a goddamn joystick instead of a mouse. I just love to own people like kormendi with my pc for some reason.

Comment

Eventually, the consoles will have all kinds of addons, like mice, keyboards, etc. At that point, it will be increasingly difficult to distinguish the two platforms. After a while, game makers may choose to only write games for consoles, so it will not be our decision.

I forsee a subscription-based future for gaming either way. XBox live is only the beginning..

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about Next-Gen consoles using mice and keypads. That leaves PC gaming to take the market share of FPS and RTS games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have seen this argument before. The question is "Are next-gen consoles killing off PC gaming?" I think the complete opposite is true. Consoles are becomming more, and more like PC's all the time. At one time they were a box, controllers, and a cartridge. Lets see what they look like now. Box, contollers, hardrive, ethernet connection, (which gives you VOIP, downloadable content, community, etc) Sounds like a PC to me. I can't think of any examples of how PC's have become more like Consoles. Can you?

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

All PC developers have to do is concentrate on making their games more playable on 3-4 year old cards. That would make the expense and longevity of a video card equal to a console. Plus PCs have a lock on first-person, real-time, and massively-multiplayer games because nobody wants to play Warcraft with an X-Box remote.

I expect consoles to continue becoming more like PCs. They're already close enough that you'll probably soon be able to write an essay and check you E-mail from a Playstation. At that point they essentially become PCs that you have to pay to produce games for. Before that though, Video Card manufacturers may take on similar strategies as consoles to get themselves subsidized by developers and thus produce cheaper cards.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                I haven't heard anything about Next-Gen consoles using mice and keypads. That leaves PC gaming to take the market share of FPS and RTS games.

They do now... the ps2 has 2 usb connections for the use of a keyboard and mouse.

I personally dont think the consoles will ever catch up to PCs just because computers are constantly evolving and changing. Consoles will always be 4 or 5 generations behind PCs.

Comment

The advantage consoles have is that there is one configuration, so you can fine tune and tweak everything. Thr problem with next gen consoles is that they use in order processors, instead of out of order. This basically eliminates the potential to create dynamic environments and complex AI, favoring instead High res textures and things flying through the air prettily. Also, because the next gen consoles will support such awesome graphical capabilities, teams will HAVE to hire MORE people to create all this content. They will be forced to make everything run in HDTV. This means that game projects will cost more, and attract an even more Hollywood Blockbuster esque mentality, where because you spend so much to make it you will only see "safe" games being made, and originality will begin to die off even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                    The advantage consoles have is that there is one configuration, so you can fine tune and tweak everything. Thr problem with next gen consoles is that they use in order processors, instead of out of order. This basically eliminates the potential to create dynamic environments and complex AI, favoring instead High res textures and things flying through the air prettily. Also, because the next gen consoles will support such awesome graphical capabilities, teams will HAVE to hire MORE people to create all this content. They will be forced to make everything run in HDTV. This means that game projects will cost more, and attract an even more Hollywood Blockbuster esque mentality, where because you spend so much to make it you will only see "safe" games being made, and originality will begin to die off even faster.
                    On the bright side if it keeps increasing at the rate it is now you'll eventually be able to just take a digital picture of wall and make that a texture thus making cool graphics super cheap to produce. :)

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                      They do now... the ps2 has 2 usb connections for the use of a keyboard and mouse.
                      Then I don't think it's going to make a difference until they are required or packaged with the console.

Originally posted by Arf
                      On the bright side if it keeps increasing at the rate it is now you'll eventually be able to just take a digital picture of wall and make that a texture thus making cool graphics super cheap to produce.
                      I don't think digital art will ever be as easy as that or close to being as simple. There are other considerations such as lighting and bump mapping. Plus, there's the problem of camera angle. When you take a picture of a tall building, things look different at the top and bottom. It's a little distorted. I agree with Karkianman101 that production expenses will increase and creativity will disappear.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Doesn't this discussion always come up in the months before the release of a new console?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

NO.

needs more words.

Comment

no is in fact the correct answer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X