IQ tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ tests

What exactly are IQ tests and how do you understand the scoring system?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: IQ tests

IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient, and refers to a set of standardized tests to compare intelligence against a population. There is more than one test and each has its own scoring system that varies slightly, but I believe all try to place an individual result in a population in which "average" scores are more frequent than exceptional (high and low) scores. The distribution follows a gaussian normalization curve (bell curve). Check wikipedia to get started.

Comment

Wiki is a good place to start your research. Funnily enough, while a score of roughly 100 on any standard IQ test will necessarily be the mean, if you ask people what they think their IQ score is, you'll invariably get a mean answer that's far higher than 100. Lesson? People typically think they're a lot more intelligent than they actually are.

Comment

Ha ha ha..... Sordavie, you've got a point there.

More over, I should have clarified, I am curious about how to interpret the WAIS IV test. I doubt it is something that I can easily be answered by the average member of TG, but I thought I would ask.

i am not going to put out any info regarding my test scores, but I do not know how to interpret the actual scores. I know only part of the complete score. At the moment, I only know the Verbal IQ score, but that is about it.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

WAIS was moving towards the theories of multiple intelligences. I don't know how to interpret the detailed tests, but I found a reference here describing Full IQ as mean 100, standard deviation 15. If you're in to statistics, you can calculate based on the sigmas where you place in the population.

For interest, MENSA accepts people with WAIS scores at 130 and above, indicating that would be the top 2% of the population.

Comment

Not looking for TABLE (mensa)...

Thanks for the heads up Boot.

Comment

IQ doesn't seem to be a very good predictor for much. Even success in school has better predictors. Another example is the ability to delay gratification is a very good predictor of general success. IQ's can change over time and because environment. A spouses IQ will rise, and sometimes fall, to approach the other spouses IQ.

When I was young, and before my degree in psychology, I thought they where important. Now I know that they are interesting and can be a data point in decision making. But overall are not worth much other than for ego boosts.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I remember taking IQ test as a child. They are also used to determine if a person has such things as dyslexia, ADHA, ADD, and a few other things. If I remember my score usually went up as I toke them every few years. Still had ADD and dyslexia though, that will never go awa... OH ITS A DOG!
                |TG-Irr|WarV

Comment

Ha ha, well there is always a reason for taking an IQ test, whether out of curiosity or for trying to diagnose something, people seem to have some type of reason to take one...

Comment

I read a book on how to interpret the WAIS IV and even applied it a few times, but I forgot everything somehow (this was 3 years ago). I switched "majors", which I think it is very different here, the system is not as flexible as yours, but that's for another thread I guess.

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X