Portal Update, ARG Included

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal Update, ARG Included

This may need moving. Please move it if it does. (Didn't strike me as specialized enough to go in any other forum)

Meet Portal. It's a cute puzzle game based on the concept of an ad-hoc tunnel through spacetime. (It's a portal, put something in one end, it comes out the other) Filled with offbeat humor, it sold great, from Valve, through Steam, etc etc.

That was several years ago. Tonight, a new update was pushed out. Unlike other updates that fix technical issues, this one cryptically: "Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations"

Now, I found this to be a rather odd thing to "fix" in a piece of software, so I poked around online. By the time I'd finished my google query, the denizens of Something Awful, Facepunch Studios (Home of Garry's Mod for HL2), the Steam Community Forums as well as the /v/ and /x/ (Video Games and Paranormal respectively) boards of 4chan were puzzling over this as well.

At time of this posting, they have taken a set of sound files included with the update and produced SSTV images, as well as a phone number supposedly linked to a BBS system in Seattle, Washington (The same city as Valve's headquarters) and are attempting to interface with a computer system that identifies itself as the fictional one from the video game.

I'm very amused, and can't wait to see where Valve have set this rabbit hole up to go. It's probably just a lead-up to the announcement of Half Life 2 Episode 3 or Portal 2, but this is the studio that has a habit of suddenly pitching new games at us from out of nowhere.

I assume Kotaku or some other gaming website will have a more indepth writeup before tomorrow is out. I just posted it here because Alternate Reality games are fun.

Re: Portal Update, ARG Included

It had better be Episode 3. If it does not come out this year my faith in Valve will be gone.

Comment

Very interesting...

Valve is one of the good guys. They would have to screw up big time for me to stop supporting them.

Same with Blizzard, btw...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have no idea what is going on, but I love it!

In a nutshell:

-Portal gets surprise update yesterday afternoon
        -People see new mystery achievement
        -People play and see the radio in the beginning room now has a green light
        -Carry it around and notice it makes strange broadcast interference noises in certain places
        -Locate and place all 26 of these mystery radios for achievement
        -Smart people yank wav files out of game content folders and run them through steganography programs
        -Produces 26 weird cryptic image files in a numbered sequence
        -Some dude runs the number string through an md5 hash translator and gets a landline number
        -Internet traces it to Kirkland, WA (near Valve HQ)
        -People find out its not a phone/fax line but a data line hosting a BBS and telnet it
        -Use a clue from one of the files to figure out the BBS user/password login info
        -End up with a bunch of weird ASCII artwork
        -We're trying to figure out wtf it means
        -XJR asks for summary on the forums
        From http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...68990&page=147

Here's where else I've been getting information from, just a roundup of some of the stuff that's been going on:
        http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...hing-going-on/
        http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...this-portal-2/
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Woah. Hoping for Half LIfe 3.

Comment

With researchers like this, who needs the CIA?
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Seriously man, i can't tell which is freakier, The guys at valve coming up with this stuff, or the gamers who figure this out.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

You guys need to remember that there are gamers in the CIA...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Portal 2 has now been announced! Though there seems to be more conspiracy...check the underlined letters in the Steam announcement, the Steam forums are still trying to decipher it.
                  |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Comment

Originally posted by 16Note View Post
                    Portal 2 has now been announced! Though there seems to be more conspiracy...check the underlined letters in the Steam announcement, the Steam forums are still trying to decipher it.
                    It's a username and password for something, I'm not sure what.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Yeah, they figured it out. It's a login for the BBS that Valve set up. It looks like the ARG ended. On the bright side, holy cow! Coop Portal fun!?
                      |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Comment

http://kotaku.com/5486758/portal-2-a...iar-characters

Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Features single and multiplayer co-op modes. The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game. The game's two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Language warning.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X