Twin-tip Skis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin-tip Skis

Well, I just got back on Monday from skiing at Wolf Creek in Colorado. Epic levels of powder! I tried out my first pairs of twin-tip skis. I started with the Salomon Guns. Didn't like them very much. Then I tried out the Volkl Gotamas. I LOVED them. Learned how to ski switch pretty well, and hit up the whole mountain, from groomed greens to the black bowls up top.

This upcoming Wednesday, I leave to Park City, Utah to wrap up the season. I'm hoping they offer the Gotamas that I got to love, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for twin-tips. Are there any particular skis you really like? Any skiing tips for a twin-tip noob like me?

I don't know how relevant it is, but I have my own boots. I use the Salmon Impact 8's. I really like them too.

Any other ski nuts here at TG?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Twin-tip Skis

whats a twin tip? Like a forked point ski?
    sigpic
    <a href="http://www.metro2033forum.net">metro 2033 forum</a>

Comment

Though im I have not skied in years I am an avid snowboarder.

I will tell you that park city (if you have not already been there) is going to be epic. What resort are you going to be at?
      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

@DeltaFart: Twin-tip skis are basically skis that curve up on both ends. In a nutshell, the back end is like the front, so you can ski normally and backwards with ease. These are the ones I really liked this last trip...
        http://volkl.com/ski/skifinder/skis/free-gotama.php

@Portable.Cougar: I've never been to Park City before, so I'm REALLY excited! Some friends and I are renting a house that's actually in Park City, so I don't know if it's at a resort per se. Dirt cheap that way. Like $120/each for almost a week's stay!

Comment

Well you got three Mtns to choose from, If you are staying more than one day i recommend you try all three as the experience at each is different. When you get into town there is a few good bars and restaurants. I recommend the place I cant remember the name of. If you are on main st its a small adobe looking bar on the west side of the road. Good food, great drinks and snow Bunnies for days.
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

3 mountains?! Oh my! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that restaurant. I'll definitely try to hit up all the terrain I can. :D

Comment

Deer valley, Park city Mtn, and Canyons.

Only one I haven't been to is Canyons, I hear its the best though. Lots of terrain to enjoy.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

AHhhhhh, that makes complete sense haha
                sigpic
                <a href="http://www.metro2033forum.net">metro 2033 forum</a>

Comment

I'm going to Park City next weekend!

The twin tips I've been using lately are K2 Kung Fujas. They're extremely versatile. They can handle powder pretty well, but their nimble and you can use them for freestyle skiing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtoups View Post
                    I'm going to Park City next weekend!

The twin tips I've been using lately are K2 Kung Fujas. They're extremely versatile. They can handle powder pretty well, but their nimble and you can use them for freestyle skiing as well.
                    No way! Sweeet! I'll be there from Wednesday the 17th thru Sunday the 21st. How about you? If they have the Kung Fujas as demo's, I'll give 'em a try.

Comment

I'm an avid skier...or should I say I used to be. Before marriage I skied 20-30 days a year. I've been to Austria to ski and have skied most of the major mountains in New England where I call my home. I would love to head out west and ski there too. I've dreamed about Alta, Taos, Vail and many other ski venues in the West. I do love the East though and I'm proud to call myself an eastern skier. With our variable conditions if you can ski well here you can ski well anywhere. What we call powder is heavy wet crud everywhere else.

After marriage I went only once a year or so and some years didn't ski at all. My wife hates the winter and everything about it. I tried to take my kids skiing but they just didn't take to it too well and since I went so infrequently they never really got into it like I did when I was a kid.

Over the last 5 years I've been getting back into it more and more and in the last two years I've gotten about 10-15 ski days in per season so in my mid forties I'm having something of a skiing renaissance.

But...I'm still skiing on my Fischer RC4's and rear entry Solomon boots. They were pretty hot slalom skis at the time but now they just give away my age. I used to have a pair of Atomic Red Sleds too...205's if you can believe it. Those things were beasts. However...this year I decided to buy myself a pair of shaped skis and will gladly use my new equipment next year. I want to ski well into my sixties. There's nothing like it.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

That's fantastic, Grunt! Glad you're getting back into it. Since you're getting into shaped skis, I HIGHLY suggest you take some lessons. Forget everything you know about skiing, because you'll have to start over. The methods are very different. The stance, the movements, etc. However, once you adjust to the new skis, there's no going back! Drastic improvements.

And definitely make a trip out West. I learned at Taos, which is epic. It's mostly advanced, hard, and steep. By learning out East, the Rockies will seem like Disney World to you. Haha. You're going to love it! And you're never too old to ski. Keeps you young. I saw a great Warren Miller ski documentary called Children of Winter, which he actually makes an appearance in! He's been making movies for over 50 years, is 86 years old, and he's STILL skiing! He could probably eat me alive on the slopes too. He's kinda my hero. Haha.

Comment

I'm a snowboarder myself. I get out at least once a month on the east coast here and I try to make it out west once a year. I've been to Breckenridge and Steamboat.

Comment

I tried that whole skiing thing once this year, decided I just wanna be sick nasty at it and not have to go through the learning process.

Haha that said, I've been riding for like 10 years or so and this has been my best season yet. Its been a semi-crappy one on the east coast, but I'm making the best out of it. Almost made it out west for spring break, but lack of a travel buddy and re-assessment of funds ($1300 for 3 day trip was a bit excessive still being in school) kept me here.

On the topic of twin-tips. Be aware of what you're going for, and where you'll be skiing primarily. If you're just renting stuff while you're doing pow days out west, get whatever's good out there. I've been seeing fatter and fatter skis on the east coast; its just plain silly. The rear of twin-tips get dug in a ton around here, my cousin complains about it a ton. If you can get a nice shaped ski for east coast riding (unless you're in the park all day or absolutely need to ride switch, then twin tips make sense), you'll probably be happier in the long run. And that once a year pow day? Yeah, you're shaped skis will handle it fine cuz you're used to them and have been skiing on them all year.

Haha sorry for the rant, just been seeing some really funny trends lately. Biggest one being people sitting around in their neon and fluorescent clothes and not actually doing anything on the mountain. I won't do that rant, it lasts too long!

Grunt, and anyone on the east coast: I get out as much as I can each winter. This season has been the best yet (at least 20 days), but its mostly been due to my incredibly open schedule (2 days of class)! Season is winding down, but I'll still be riding till mid-April and getting up to Tuckerman's a few times before summer kicks in. If anyone on the east coast, or in the Boston area, is interested in going somewhere, shoot me a PM.

Also, for anyone in the Boston area, I wax and tune for $15, as long as its reasonably close to where I live.

Comment

Well, I just got back from Park City and after trying several different kinds out, I have my heart set on 2 different skis I want to buy. I used the Volkl Gotamas at both Wolf Creek and Park City. It handles powder like nothing I've ever used before, and handles the groomers great for such a wide ski. I also loved the Salomon Lords. Not as good for powder, but wonderful on icy surfaces and the groomers. For non-twin tips, the Volkl AC-50's are just plain amazing. I'd actually love to buy all 3 skis for their strengths and weaknesses, but I'll probably just get the Gotamas for powder days and the Lords for icy/packed powder days. Of course, I'll wait a few months for when all the demo stock gets sold on ebay cheap. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X