No announcement yet.

How to breath underwater!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to breath underwater!

It would not let me post this as a blog. To many images I guess. I posted this in my SCUBA training blog over at Great folks over there!

__________________________________________________ __________________

Wow, where do I begin....oh yes, I know
    Originally posted by mm2002
    I think I know how it will start: "Wow, that first breath under water! I'm hooked!" So you can skip over all that and get down to the details.

Now that that is over let's get down to business.

Wetsuit: 7mm Scubapro
    BC: XS Scuba Paragon
    Regs: Mares setup. I don't know what model.
    Boots: 5mm
    Tank starting pressure: Just a little under 3,000PSI
    Weight: 34.5 Lbs on belt and BC
    My Body weight: 235lbs
    Height: 6'3"

So I got to the Folsom Aquatic Center around 6:15 or so. Fairly big place, but what I was interested in was their large lap pool. I got there and it was full of people. There was a water aerobics class going on and general lap swimming going on that prevented us getting in the water until our appointed time of 7:00pm.So I got all my gear unloaded and setup and changed into my wetsuit and boots. Then we just talked about what we were going to be doing and waiting for 7. The people present were 3 instructors and 4 students; although one instructor didn't stay.

Thus we paired up. Two students to one instructor. My self and an older lady had George Wyatt and the other two(husband and wife) had a man named "Niell".

I was in my full 7mm wetsuit with my boots, but not my hooded vest(The pool was 80 degrees) or gloves. George was also in a 7mm. The air temp was the mid to low 40s so we stayed comfortable. The other lady was in a 3mm shorty. When she got in the water, she got cold. She started shivering and could not stop. The instructor made her get out. She was very cold. Thus, I ended up with private, one on one instruction with George.

We started in the shallow end(4.5 ft of water) with the masks floods; partial, full, and complete removal in that order. We then went on down the check list with such things as reg removal and replacement and out-of-air drills. Next came swimming. We put on our fins and began. He had me start with just swimming on the bottom to him. The hardest things for me was weight belt replacement roll. I had 34.5 pounds of weight! That thing was hard to manage! I think it would have been easier in the deep end.

Then we did a "Emergency ascent" drill in the shallow end that just included me swimming at an angle from the bottom over to him making the "Ahhhhhhhh" sound the entire way.

Going DOWN!!

Next, we did tired diver tows. Both the "grab the first stage and tow" version. My instructor was enjoying that too much me thinks.

Then I pushed from the fins.

I was having a blast!

Note: Mask is NOT on the forehead! I pride myself on that!

Time: 2015 Hours

The High school girls swimming stuff(Which I'll admit was a little distracting as I was looking around underwater . Great scenery under there. Honest! I was watching the girls...erm...instructor. ) ended and we could move over to the deep end. 13 feet or so.

Step one: Get in the pool.
    Type: Giant stride

Here we go!

They tell me I made a big splash. I guess so.

Anyway, we then began the fun part! The deep water is so much easier to do stuff in. I mean, the shallow end was..uhh..shallow! On my knees the surface was a couple inches from the top of my head. It made things harder. The deep end was 6-7 feet taller than I and made things a lot more fun. It's closer to real diving!

I had a hard time descending the first time. I was not patient enough and ended up going down way too fast after dumping all the air from my BC. I hit the bottom and lost my balance and had a hard time getting settled again. Then comes the interesting part. Buoyancy control. We actually began in the shallow end with fin pivots. We also did those in the deep end. It was easier with some water pressure. I also went down and laid on the bottom and slowly inflated my BC until I hit neutral and began going up and down with my breaths. I moved up off the bottom, adjusted my BC and just floated there. TOO COOL!! It made my night when we got back up the surface after and my instructor said, "You have good buoyancy for a rookie". I'll admit it still has a long way to go of course, but I was able to get to neutral and just stand or float there.

We did some more floating and then did some mask-less swimming. George tried to shake me with a pop buddy-out-of-air drill as a I swam up to him. I didn't flinch and just handed him my octo.

We also did unconscious diver recovery.

Niell had his hands full with the other two. They had a very hard time with buoyancy and had a hard time with the drills in general. I finished a good 20min before they did and when George finished with me, he went and took one of the others. They'll get it though.

After that we were pretty much done. I'm sure there are a couple smaller drills we did that just slipped my mind, but that is pretty much all.

So, as my post EARLY this morning said, WOW!

Folks, I've been bitten by the bug! I just wished I could stay in the pool and float for much longer it was so much fun. I do my open-water check dives on Saturday and Sunday. It's supposed to be mid to upper 60s, but the water has been in the low 40s. I'll be in everything from the pool plus my 7/3 hooded vest and 5mm gloves! It's gonna be cold!

All in all, I spent 2 hours in the pool.

Ending air pressure: 1,000psi

I was gulping about 1,000psi an hour. George was doing about 500psi an hour. I'm not sure what the others did. Fortunately, from all the snorkeling I've done I knew how to breath slowly, deeply, and constantly. Otherwise, I would have gone through more. It's like the book said, new divers generally lower their air consumption after a few months. I look forward to my lake dives!

Re: How to breath underwater!

Nice. Sounds like you were having a good time.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Man, I SOOO want to do scuba. Just not much cause in Kansas.
      "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
      Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
      " Ednos

ZOMG! IS HE DIED?!?!11?!

I have always wanted to give Scuba a go..Maybe one of these days

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Thanks oniell for sharing your experience with us, it made me think about my first (and unfortunately last) time I scuba dived. It was in 2001, and I never tried anything like that before.
          I was 15 at the time and my class was one of the 3 lucky classes that went on a 1-week long field trip in France, on the Côte d'Azur, and one of the activities we did was diving in a natural reserve.
          I think I spent the first 3-4 minutes with my eyes closed, since every time I opened them I would start panicking at the idea that I was breathing UNDERWATER. But after the initial shock I started getting used to it, learned to control my breathing properly (the mask give you only the air you need, nothing more nothing less), adjust my weight underwater and swim properly with the harness and suit.
          Let me tell you, being 15 meters underwater, surrounded by fishes and all the submarine flora was THE most amazing experience I had in my entire life. Not even flying on a plane for the first time was like that.
          I wish I could articulate what I felt better but it's something I'm not capable of. The one thing I can say to anyone that has never tried it is: do what oniell did and just do it. You won't regret it :)

Now with 200% more content!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed