Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who smoke

You don't have to!

A few months ago I accidentally stumbled upon the world of e-cigarettes - or personal vaporizers. These are little electronic devices that heat liquid nicotine into vapor for inhaling. Many of them look like cigarettes and even have lights on the end to simulate the ember (and to indicate that it's active).

Not being a heavy smoker myself, I bought a set to help get my wife off of her pack-a-day habit. She encountered some side effects, so is taking it easy - but I am now hooked on the suckers.
    No burning tobacco.
    No smoke.
    No smell.
    No tar.
    No myriad of questionable chemicals covertly added by the tobacco manufacturers.
    No going AFK or running out between rounds for a cig.

I used to have to wait until everyone went to bed to smoke inside - hence much of my 2am gaming time. Now I can sit here and even vape all day in front of my mother, who had to quit cold turkey last year due to emphysema/COPD. No problems there.

There are already vapers here at Tactical Gamer, so if you have any questions please speak up!

If any of you are interested, try looking at this series of guides and thee-cigarette forum.

I've been at it for about two months and it's amazing. And it appeals to both the accessorizer and the modder (I call myself a gadgeteer) with all the add-ons, modifications and whatnot.

Oh - and there are thousands of flavors, and you can even mix juice yourself!
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: To those who smoke

thx . Usually I use pistachios when I try to quit. Still hasnt worked completely.

Comment

I used Chantix to quit smoking a year and a half ago. I took Chantix for about six months, and never actually tried to stop smoking. The medicine basically blocks nicotine absorbtion over time, so you just keep smoking normally and your body gets less and less nicotine the longer you take the Chantix. Then one day, I just didn't want a cigarette. It was like magic. No withdrawels, no problems at all, in fact.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

As you know Belhade, I've been doing this for almost 3 months.
        I've been cigarette free for 2-1/2 months of that.
        Thats after 27-28 years of smoking.

This is hands down, the best way to stop smoking !!
        Your links are the best way to read up more on the topic.

I've personally turned on at least 10 people to E-cigs and most of them have stopped smoking completely.

Also, I've talked to my doctor about it and he approves wholeheartedly.
        When you remove all the bad stuff in a cigarette and all you have left is nicotine, you have brought yourself out of the death trap that is smoking. Nicotine is for the most part just like caffeine, a stimulant. Stimulants in and of themselves aren't bad unless they exacerbate any other medical conditions you may have. An E-cig is basically similar to coffee. Pretty darned safe.

If you smoke, you need to look into E-cigs. You will finally stop smoking !

And Belhade have you seen this ?
        Now you can inhale caffeine, wow !
        http://www.lewhif.com/

|

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
          And Belhade have you seen this ?
          Now you can inhale caffeine, wow !
          http://www.lewhif.com/
          Holy crap! I already vape coffee and macchiato flavors; if I Whif coffee I'll be totally overloaded! Haha!
          |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
            To those who smoke

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

A friend of mine uses something that is made in Sweden. It's in pouches like bandits but you chew it, no spitting, no worrying about swallowing.

I am trying to quit, by using nicorette, or if need be limited myself to 5 cigs a week. I started working out and let me tell you, there is no way I could continue my previous 12 cigs a day routine while working out.....

I think for me its the fixation of holding a cigarette or the oral fixation of smoking. Within the first week of college I found out that a great way of meeting girls was having a few cigs and a lighter, and somewhere in there I started smoking.

I'll check out the e-cigs.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

This sounds interesting, the pack or more a day would be nice for health, and my wallet.

But, what to buy exactly? How much does it really cost?

Comment

Randy, the pouch stuff is Snus. The American (Camel) stuff is slightly different from the Swedish, but I'm unsure of how they're different. A lot of vapers also supplement with Snus since some people need to wean off the extra chemicals in tobacco (certain salts, etc) which itself is still better than burning leaves.

UnDead, the best way to start is to get a starter kit. For example, there's a Joye 510 kit which include two batteries, two atomizers (the heating elements) five filled cartridges and a charger for $40-$50. The carts are usually loaded with medium/high nic level (18-24mg) tobacco or menthol flavored juice. These carts usually last half a day or so each - then you need to buy liquid to re-fill the carts.

Most places you can get liquid for $.50-$.80 per milliliter in various sizes, strengths and flavors. Bottle sizes are in the ranges of 3-4-5 mL (trial sizes) 10mL 20mL or 30mL. Most people use 2-3mL per day. Strengths are in milligrams per milliliter - 0-nic, 6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48mg. The nicotine levels affect the 'harshness' or "throat hit" comparable to regular cigarettes (analogs) - 12mg would be a Marlboro Light, whereas 36mg would be a Camel Wide unfilterd. 36mg and 48mg are usually diluted before using. Flavors are pretty diverse - you've got fruits, candies, menthols and mints, desserts, coffees, and tobaccos. My favorite right now is caffe macchiato.
                  |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Thanks for the info. I went from full flavor reds to lights a few years ago. So I'm looking for a light amount of nicotine I suppose.
                    Last edited by UnDeaD; 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

You can cut the e-liquid; Vegetable Glycerin (USP) is a common ingredient and can be found in drug stores cheap (as a "skin protectant"). A light smoker myself, I buy juice at 24mg and mix with VG 50/50 (and a drop or two of distilled water to keep it thin). Cuts the nicotine, smooths out some of the stronger flavors and makes it last twice as long :)
                      |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

I feel I should make a disclaimer (and can't edit my first post), like that given at the beginning of each VaporCast (yes, there's a vapers podcast):

I do not promote the use of personal vaporizers to those under or over the age of eighteen. I am not a medical professional and nicotine is an addictive substance.

Vape at your own risk.
                        |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

anyone that actually, curently uses these things? can you recomend a good brand or company? right now its camel. Also where can i buy these things? Is it only on line or do stores cary them also
                          Last edited by Nomad; 04-08-2010, 02:17 AM.

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

I knew this thread looked familiar! :)

I hope this helps the people who are trying to quit the habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                              A friend of mine uses something that is made in Sweden. It's in pouches like bandits but you chew it, no spitting, no worrying about swallowing.

I am trying to quit, by using nicorette, or if need be limited myself to 5 cigs a week. I started working out and let me tell you, there is no way I could continue my previous 12 cigs a day routine while working out.....

I think for me its the fixation of holding a cigarette or the oral fixation of smoking. Within the first week of college I found out that a great way of meeting girls was having a few cigs and a lighter, and somewhere in there I started smoking.

I'll check out the e-cigs.
                              Your not supposed to chew Snus!
                              you just put it under one of your lips and let is stay there until the flavour is gone or you remember that you have a pouch in there :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X