• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APB new 'pay per play' business model

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...per-play-model

buy game in a box = 50 hours gaming
    then buy more hrs

I think this is a business model for the future, I expect this kind of arrangement for Battlefield 3

Re: APB new 'pay per play' business model

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
    I think this is a business model for the future, I expect this kind of arrangement for Battlefield 3.
    I hope not.
    MMOs have subscription fees (or similar schemes such as APB's) because the devs are constantly fixing problems and adding new content (WoW has new expansions to pay for individually, EVE gives them out for free to all subscribers, etc.). Most other games don't get such regular updates and support - the occasional patch or bit of DLC is considered to be good post-release content for a game these days. A subscription pays the developers' wages while they are making these new updates and constantly rebalancing their games - FPS (and other) games generally receive much less support, so a sub is not necessary (exceptions for companies such as Valve, who have been notably supporting TF2 extremely well since its release 3 years ago.)
    I'd hate it if any non-MMO game used this type of system - imagine if, 5 years after BF3 is released (if it ever is released), you decided you felt like playing BF3 for "old times' sakes", but alas! you have not paid your 8 for the month. You might not even be able to, as BF3 is likely to be an EA game, and EA have shut down servers for some not-very-old games - more info here - leaving players who paid for these games unable to pay for the multiplayer.
    A decision like you suggested to have a pay-as-you-play system in BF3 would, in my opinion, only serve to alienate and annoy the series' fanbase, which is not something any developer/publisher can afford - just take a look at the massive backlash following the introduction of Ubisoft's insane DRM system (it is properly nuts), or the wailing fury that surrounded the releases of Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2. While it may not harm sales that much (MW2 is a prime example of this), it is still not something any dev team would want.

TL;DR - Keep your MMO subs out of my FPS, thanks.
    Last edited by westyfield; 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

BF3 is going to be an mmo? I don't think so.

APB is an MMO not an online fps. They will release regular content updates and patches as with all mmo's. This business model is already done in eve and a few other mmo's out there recently. The only thing new for apb is doing it by the hour which i don't think will be all that popular tbh. The rate is pretty high when compared to 10 bucks for a month.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
        BF3 is going to be an mmo?
        Silver means that this business model may be applied to BF3 in the future. Pay to play may actually be the only way the PC crowd can get some proper PC games in the future. Everything is going towards console ports these days, so it may be the only way the business can earn money on PC games and justify making it in the first place.

Personally i'm good with it, as long as the games are good i'll pay for it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X