Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on string trimmers, anybody have suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on string trimmers, anybody have suggestions?

I need to buy a string trimmer very soon, and have spent a lot of time looking at reviews on consumer reports, Lowes.com, HomeDepot.com, etc., and the bottom line it seems is they all SUCK! :row__787:

I'm serious. Every single model has bad reviews somewhere with reports of cheap equipment that gives out after only 1 season, and some after only 2-3 uses.

So I figured I'd ask TG if anyone has some suggestions. I'm hoping to spend less than $200, and a 4 stroke would be awesome so I wouldn't have to deal with mixing gas/oil.

By the way, I originally planned to buy a few hundred feet of fencing and rent some goats from somewhere, due to the locations I need to mow, but it turns out no one will rent goats. I have called 4-5 local farms, and they all said no. I did find a local company that will come out, install the fencing, bring over the goats, and then come pick everything up. Guess how much. They want $20 hour PER GOAT!!!!!!!!!
    I can buy goats for $50! But I don't want pet goats that I have to take care of. Or the hassle of reselling them when I'm done with them only to have to rebuy them next year. But they are the perfect solution to the are I need cleaned, considering they have no problem eating poison ivy and other stuff.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Advice on string trimmers, anybody have suggestions?

I'm not sure if its still made, but I used to have a tool from home depot that was made by B&D and lasted several years. It came with a motor and three snap on extensions: line trimmer (weedwhacker), blade edger and blower. It was really nice, lightweight, and it lasted me through years of cutting lawns with 0 maintenance on my end aside from changing out the line spools. Which was another nice thing about it: the line spools were pre-fab, so you could buy them in the store, rather than having to just buy the line and spool it yourself.

Comment

Here's my solution for the goats. You buy them (they're cheap as you pointed out), let them go to work, fatten 'em up a bit, then when you're finished with them, you do a Cabrito cookout! They're not hard to slaughter, butcher, and cook. They're OH so delicious! :)
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Straight booms are more reliable, I bought my dad a $500 gas straigh-boom stihl, and its been a workhorse and a reliable unit. The reality is you can buy a sub $200 trimmer, but only expect a season or two for every $100 you spend before something wears out. More expensive models have better vibration reduction, which is -very- important if your using it for more than 10 mins. Get good padded gloves, work pants and a face shield too.

Sthil is a pretty "commercial" brand, but it's sold by independent dealers, so they are well built.
        Husqvarna has a bulletproof rep in the chainsaw realm, and there trimmers are very good, but expensive.

At your budget, a 2 stroke is all you should expect, mixing gas and oil is trivial.

As for reviews, take them with some salt as most consumers expect to much and don't maintain properly the cheap commercial brands.

Comment

I have been really looking at the Sthil already, as the maintenance man at the park I used to work at swore by them. There are a few dealers near my house that carry Sthil, so will probably go by and check them out.

As far as safety gear, I know all too well the value of a good pair of chainsaw chaps and a face shield. I've been pricing them already. I like my toes where they are.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I bought the cheap ones too but got tired of them not working so I went to Home Depot and bought an Echo. That was a few years ago and it is still going strong. It is a 2 cycle but cranks on the third pull most of the time. I bought a refill spool when I bought it and I still have over half of it left. It cost around $200.00 at the time. When needed I will buy Echo again. I live in the deep south and I use it for an hour or two every week March thru Oct.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
              I bought the cheap ones too but got tired of them not working so I went to Home Depot and bought an Echo. That was a few years ago and it is still going strong. It is a 2 cycle but cranks on the third pull most of the time. I bought a refill spool when I bought it and I still have over half of it left. It cost around $200.00 at the time. When needed I will buy Echo again. I live in the deep south and I use it for an hour or two every week March thru Oct.
              My brother also bought an Echo for our farm. It has been very sturdy. It seems to be a good middle ground between budget and quality.

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
                My brother also bought an Echo for our farm. It has been very sturdy. It seems to be a good middle ground between budget and quality.

Comment

It took me a minute to get the double post. lol
                  The Old Guy
                  kin3
                  sigpic

Comment

Woops! Sorry for the double post. My internet's been acting screwy lately. :(

Comment

So wait.... String Trimmer = weedwacker? Or am I just late to the party?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        So wait.... String Trimmer = weedwacker? Or am I just late to the party?
                        Yes.

I'm in the you get what you pay for crew. I bought a $150 gas one in 2004 and it lasted a few years but I hated it because it was such a pain to start. I replaced it with an electric but went cheap because I have such a small yard. While the motor is great and I don't have to pull start it the line feed sucks horribly and I have to stop constantly to unstick it so the line will feed out. I would echo the above, if you are buying one for long term use or have a lot to trim go with the products that are closer to commercial, you will save money, time and effort in the long run.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I've got some high grass along a chain link fence and I'm thinking I'll just spray Roundup at the base of the fence. The neighbor's side is bark so it just means I'll have a couple inches of bare earth along the perimeter on my side.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            I've got some high grass along a chain link fence and I'm thinking I'll just spray Roundup at the base of the fence. The neighbor's side is bark so it just means I'll have a couple inches of bare earth along the perimeter on my side.
                            Problem with roundup and other chemicals is I live right on a marsh and I try to do my part to keep it clean. Right now I'm actually looking at rainbarrel options and probably a rain garden as well to help control runoff. I feel bad enough about the bugspray I use to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

there are attachments tailored to certain brands of trimmers that is 2 steel blades that replaces the string spool......may be a consideration.
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X