First Vehicles...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Vehicles...

First of all its great to be back I just came back to these forums now that I'm playing with TG on EVE again.

Now to the matter at hand. First Vehicle... I'm soon going to get mine, hopefully something nice that I can work on. Right now I'm looking for '65 to late 80s model cars such as Dusters,Road Runners, Barracudas, and other Mopar cars; Maybe even a nice Trans Am. As for trucks I tend to be a little more picky as in Sidestep only. Sadly, I'm having trouble finding some that are already running and if they are their out of my price range. Mainly because I need one to get to school and back.

If you don't mind me asking, What was your first vehicle and the experience of buying it and/or getting it? What problems did you run into?

Re: First Vehicles...

is this your 1st ever car?

as in your 16ish and you do not have a lot of experience?

My recommendation is get the cheapest slowest car you can. You are going to f this car up. It will happen. your going to spill stuff in it, hit curbs and generally ruin the new car smell fairly quick.

Drive the sh1t box for a while.

Drive the wheels off the thing, learn the ins and outs.

Then when you got it all figured you save some money and get that muscle.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

My first vehicle was a 91 Honda Civic Hatchback that I lovingly named "the battlewagon". I went into the process of buying my first car with 5000 bucks in my pocket and no particular preference. I must have looked at 100 cars in the two weeks following my 16th birthday until I came across the one I bought. It had roughly 80,000 miles on it, full and complete maintenance records, and was immaculately clean.

Three days after I bought it, I ran into the first and only problem I ever had with the car in the 6 years I owned it: distributor cap blew out. Fortunately, whe I took it into the shop to get fixed, it was a recall part that the mechanic who had taken care of the car for the previous owners had overlooked. Didnt cost me a dime and with the exception of having a couple flat tires and the usual wear-and-tear maintenance like replacing hoses, I never had problem one with it.

But I was prepared for it by some good words of advice by my uncle who is a professional car restorer:
      -Avoid dealerships and buy-here-pay-here places. Dealerships are going to tack on lots of extra things that you shouldnt be paying for. Buy-here-pay-here places have been known to charge up to and over 100% interest on a car, so a 5000 dollar car can wind up costing 10k in the long run. Buying from private owners is always a good thing.
      -Know the car you're looking at. Know what is supposed to go where, what its supposed to look like and what it should sound like when running.
      -Pay attention to the little things. Lack of maintenance records isnt a good sign. Scratches and dents are usually indicators of larger problems. If you see rust ANYWHERE, run for the hills.
      -Make sure to drive the car thoroughly and test ALL the crucial systems. Make full right and left turns, reverse, high and low speeds, signals, lights, hazards, hard braking. This will ensure that if nothing else, your car will get you from point A to point B without breaking any laws or breaking down.
      -Inspect every inch of the car, inside and out. Make sure to thoroughly check the undercarriage as thats where rust tends to hide.
      -Make sure that everything that is supposed to come with the car does come with the car. Check all the vin plates, make sure you have an owners manual, check for a title and proper registration. You dont want to get in trouble for buying a car that is less than legal.
      -Avoid cars with performance modifications unless you can take them off and inspect them for yourself. Just because someone says they have an aftermarket turbo doesnt mean that its not just a fake-pipe under the hood to jack up the price.
      -Be prepared to haggle a bit, but have a firm price that you wont go over. Dont go looking at a 10 grand car if you've only got 5. People will flex a little, but not a lot.
      -Establish a relationship with the owner. Ask questions, dont point out flaws.

Remember, the first car is a stepping stone. Like you said, you just need something to get to school and back. Buy a cheap starter car and save for something better down the line. I didnt think my civic was that great when I first bought it, but today, I'd LOVE to have that car back. But keep in mind: this is a first car. People are going to be riding in it and any "rules" you may want to impose at first are going to go out the window in 6 months. I got my car and didnt want anyone eating, drinking, farting, smoking, sweating, breathing hard in it. Needless to say that all of that and more were done in it within the first few weeks.

Bottom line: dont shoot for the moon. Get a car that runs and will last. Then buy yourself a cheap junker car that you can put work into (like the mopar cars you described above). You'll appreciate a shining labor of love that much more when you get done with it, even if it takes years to do. My second car was a 69 mach 1 fastback that took me four years to build. I bought a rusted body on top of a solid frame from a junkyard for 400 bucks. Four years and $2600 later, I had a sweet machine to cruise around in. I sold it two years later for 12,000 bucks. I think you see the point in that.

Hope that helps some!

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
        your going to spill stuff in it, hit curbs and generally ruin the new car smell fairly quick.
        Or total it on the 3rd day like I did :)

Comment

I'm a new driver, and I have a 1998 white V6 Honda Accord. The engine is from a 2006 Accord though as the dealership accidentally cracked the engine block a year back. Works well for me!

Comment

i have a V6 KIA Sorento. Here the legal age is 18 and ive been driving since 15. the car itself is 2 years old and i havnt had any issues with it yet. It has some good power and its a 4x4 which is awesome cuz i bodyboard a lot and here all the routes to those beaches are rough terrain.

im not rly familiar with cars from the 80's so i cant rly advice you on any.

Comment

My first was a 91 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, a big old boat that I inherited from my dad when he bought it from his company.

I drove it for around four years, and it had over 200,000 miles on it when I got t-boned at an intersection by an F-150 that blew through at around 50 mph. Walked away without a scratch, just some glass in my hair. That says something about driving a big car. I'd probably still be driving it today, it had a great, reliable engine.

If you're thinking about getting a car from the 70s, or 80s, I would reconsider if it's your first car. I thought it would be fun when I was in college to replace the Olds with an 85 Buick Riviera.

It was identical to the one above, except it was blue on blue with 2" whitewalls. I thought it was a great deal because it was just about immaculate on the exterior, and the insurance money covered the cost of it right up front with quite a bit extra to spare. But it was nothing but problems. It didn't take too long to find out that it burned through about a quart of oil a month, the radiator went around 6 months after I got it, and there were several problems with the exhaust system. It wound up being too much and I sold it around a year later.

When you don't have a lot of money to throw around, you will probably start kicking yourself when things start to go. The Buick sucked me dry at a time when I could least afford it, and I wound up only being able to get rid of it for less than half of what I bought it for. It was an amazing car, and I got compliments (when it was running) from pretty much everyone from old ladies to my friends, but it wasn't worth it. It was a constant source of stress, both financially and from a standpoint of reliability to get to and from class and work.

My advice is to think carefully about what you choose, and go with something that is reliable first and foremost. Wait til you're on your feet before you buy something that you intend to dump a bunch of money into, either in mods or into a restoration.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

My first car was an '85 Chrylser 5th Avenue that I bought for $406 from a junk yard with a salvage title. I dove it like a teenager (read badly) for over two years before I got T-Boned by an old lady who didn't see me driving down a straight stretch of road. While I owned the car, I rear-ended a Cadillac (and subsequently replaced my ruined front end with one from a '79 Dodge Diplomat. Bolt on replacement. :)) , bent the rear end jumping it (good old Calle Barril before they put in the speed humps) and had a crack the shape of my friend's naked wet ass put into the windshield the last day of High School. moral of the story: Don't get a car that you like enough to be upset about it when you do something stupid. You might not be as dumb as I was but you're still 16 and are likely prone to thinking you're super-human.
                sigpic

Comment

My first car was a 1984 Toyota Supra. It was a blast. Stick-shift, rear-wheel drive, a limited slip differential, and a great engine. I bought it in perfect, near showroom condition for $2,500. It was an amazing car, and I drove it like a typical teenager (like a bat out of hell), but then the problems started. Small things, but they added up. I learned that Toyota parts are VERY expensive, and sometimes hard to get for a car that old. After the axles, the a/c, the clutch, the power steering pump, the windshield wiper fluid pump, and more went bust, I ended up buying a 1991 RX-7, and a 1986 Subaru GL with all wheel drive. That Subaru was one of the best cars I've ever owned, and I picked it up in primo shape (minus air conditioning) for $150!!! It had power locks, windows, and an automatic trans. It was ugly as sin with its tan-yellowish paint, but I beat the absolute heck out of it. I used to take it off-roading in places trucks feared to tread. I lost my muffler somewhere. Lol.

If you want an old car that will take some abuse, you can pick up cheap, and should be fairly reliable, buy a Subaru. I also like Honda for a first time buyer, because even if you have problems, you can get parts really cheap for them, and they're super easy to work on. Although very well built, stay away from Toyota, simply for the fact that parts are expensive, and they proved MUCH more difficult to work on (I also had a 1986 Camry at one point).
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

1994 GMC Sonoma 2.2l

I thought this was a great first vehicle. Had the 4 cylinder to save on gas and was a truck so all your friends were jealous. I put on a set of IROC rims which made it look great.

Comment

My first car was a '77 Datsun 280z since it was the same age as me and a complete blast to drive. The body was rusted but the engine and drive train had been restored, and if I had slightly worse judgment I could have ended up with a ton of speeding tickets. It had an inline 6 and was easy as pie to work on because everything stuck off the sides and was easily reachable.

It also smelled funny.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                      My first vehicle was a 91 Honda Civic Hatchback that I lovingly named "the battlewagon". I went into the process of buying my first car with 5000 bucks in my pocket and no particular preference. I must have looked at 100 cars in the two weeks following my 16th birthday until I came across the one I bought. It had roughly 80,000 miles on it, full and complete maintenance records, and was immaculately clean.

Three days after I bought it, I ran into the first and only problem I ever had with the car in the 6 years I owned it: distributor cap blew out. Fortunately, whe I took it into the shop to get fixed, it was a recall part that the mechanic who had taken care of the car for the previous owners had overlooked. Didnt cost me a dime and with the exception of having a couple flat tires and the usual wear-and-tear maintenance like replacing hoses, I never had problem one with it.
                      My last premarital car purchase was a '92 Honda Civic Hatchback si (the sport model) in 2001 for $3300. There was a sensor on the fuel line that would close it off and act like it was flooded in 100+ degree temps that took a year to troubleshoot because the Honda dealership in my town is incompetent, a 3rd party domestic fix it shop were the ones who figured it out and fixed it. The only other repairs have been replacing the original muffler, brakes and tires and a battery during the 9 years I've owned it.

The AC doesn't work, but I have a sunroof and I don't mind a little heat. The only times the car hasn't started is when the 5 year battery that was 7 years old finally started to die, when the spark plug wires started to crack from age and would have trouble with moisture and the fuel line thing noted above. I drive this car to work daily, and have for the last 9 years and I must say it is the cheapest to maintain (and I'm really not that great about doing so because it has been paid off for years) best mileage and reliable car I know, and since it is the si edition it even has a reasonable amount of power for it's light weight. I can't drag race, but it cruises curvy roads in a very enjoyable way.

I would strongly request this kind of car for a first time driver, just avoid the DX dump edition which has crippled hamsters for an engine. Don't put ricer crap on it either like loud mufflers, that stuff will just ruin your engine.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

My first car was a '94 Chevy Cavalier with on 24k miles in the typical grandma color - Teal. Of course I bought it from a grandma who probably thought I was drug dealer since I paid the $1500 for it in cash since I didn't have a bank account.

The AC didn't work and the only amenity it had was a tape deck, which I promptly threw out and installed a CD player. I drove the balls off that car. Only changed the oil six times in the three years I had it and replaced 1 flat tire. Something started going on where it would run till it heated up then it would die and not restart. Wouldn't give any warning or anything - just stall.

I got a dealer to agree to a $1500 trade in without looking at it, towed it to the dealer and picked up an 06 Hyundai Elantra. Man I loved that car.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

1978 Fiat 128 - Cost me about $2k in 1980.
                          Drove the hell out of it.
                          Some of great memories of that car and thrashing it on the backroads where I lived.

Problems ? Just that any place I ever pulled into to have it serviced would laugh and say "we don't work on those things here".
                          ;)

|

Comment

Okay youngsters, mine was an original Mustang that went on sale in 1964. I went to work and had a little money so Dad co-signed with me and I was able to buy a new car. I still have the window sticker. Anyway I wanted a red one with a stick shift but they didn't have one so but the salesman said he would look for one. Well in a few days he called...he found one. I loved the car and drove it about three years then on to a 1968 GTO, now that was a car.
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

^^ jealous

first car i drove was my mums little vauxhall corsa. after 5 months i wrote it off (whoops). but i'm after a Ford focus as of now got a few lined up hopefully for the summer to get back into airsoft again
                              AnimalMother
                              Ex TG-31st LR
                              "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                              sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...