Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My next PC game purchase - FPS Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next PC game purchase - FPS Suggestions?

Ok, so after beating the short, but enjoyable single player campaign on CoD:MW2, I tried out the multiplayer. I admit, it's actually pretty fun, BUT I'm spoiled by the giant maps and versatility I've come to expect with the Battlefield series. I've also enjoyed the heck out of CS:S and TF2. With that being said, I'm torn on my next pc game purchase. I'd like to select just one. Here's what I'm deciding between now:

Left 4 Dead 2,
    BF:Bad Company 2,
    ArmA

Or, maybe I should just get back into BF2 with the mods...if only I can tackle the stupid connection problems I've been getting.

Of these games, which do you all enjoy the most? Does BF:BC2 even compare to BF2? I hope it's not plagued by the same technical problems BF2 had.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: My next PC game purchase - FPS Suggestions?

BC2= Console port, lack of options, zero mod tools, small maps, lots of spammy game play, poor technical support if you can't get it to work the first time. I apparently need an OS switch to get it to play on my hardware, but I'm less enthused to try as time goes on.

L4D2: lots of style, great detail and I enjoy it a lot with friends. It is unfortunately repetitive, AI is only so good, multiplayer can be fun depending on who you play with. Most people have moved on because all the little details pass by while you are paying attention to the zombies and there is only so much replay value.

ARMA: Hard on a rig, fairly complicated to play and it is a sandbox game so it can do most anything as long as you can keep up with the mods. Primarily humans VS AI game play like L4D2.

If you still have BF2 I would recommend PR here at TG if you can get your connection problems sorted out. If you haven't played recently they have added deployable and buildable structures for players, 4kmX4km (16 sq km) maps, more factions including IDF, HAMAS, Milita and Canadians, more game modes, more accessible buildings, new kits, new weapons, new vehicles, etc and all with better detail that vanilla BF2. All human players and a lot of things to do. It is harder on older systems that regular BF2, but not a killer like ARMA can be. Great teamplay opportunities abound at TG :)
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The system requirements won't be a problem with my new rig. I ran the ArmA demo maxed out no problem. I can run any game on super duper settings. :D

You make quite a compelling case for BF2. Maybe I really should work harder to get the connection problems hammered out. That's a shame that BC2 has such small maps. Too bad I missed the L4D2 sale on Steam a couple weeks ago. :(

So ArmA is humans vs AI? I had no idea! That doesn't sound like quite as much fun as playing against other people.

Comment

It does have human vs human game modes, but I don't seem to be very common and I don't think they run those on TG, but you should check out the ARMA forums for more info.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

We play both on the Arma2 server but coop is more prevelant but they are trying to even it out more. We are definatley in discussions about that very thing.

Comment

BC2 is nothing like BF2; for reasons stated by snooggums.
            BF2 is still thriving here at TG under the Project Reality mod; you can check it out at realitymod.com

As for your other choices:
            L4D2: Recommend it! It's a very fun experience, and contrary to snoggums' statement it has great replayability; so much so that often players will play it so much in a short time that they get sick of it. If you keep in moderation, you'll enjoy it for a long time.

ArmA2: If your system can handle it, by all means check out the ArmA forums and see what they have to say. There's a demo on steam that you can download and try to see how well you can run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
              BC2 is nothing like BF2; for reasons stated by snooggums.
              BF2 is still thriving here at TG under the Project Reality mod; you can check it out at realitymod.com

As for your other choices:
              L4D2: Recommend it! It's a very fun experience, and contrary to snoggums' statement it has great replayability; so much so that often players will play it so much in a short time that they get sick of it. If you keep in moderation, you'll enjoy it for a long time.

ArmA2: If your system can handle it, by all means check out the ArmA forums and see what they have to say. There's a demo on steam that you can download and try to see how well you can run it.
              Above, I should have said ArmA2. I've run the demo and it runs well. It seems like a complex game, but that can definitely be a good thing. At least L4D2 is cheap on Steam. I wonder if I can pick it up cheap at a store. I guess I won't bother with BC2 for the moment, but would like to play it when it drops in price. I've heard the single player campaign is actually pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                I've heard the single player campaign is actually pretty good.
                It is a "meh" at most.

Out of all of the games, I suggest you play BC2 so our little corner of the community can have 1 more person to lame-kill oh so very often. *cough* If you want better gameplay go for PR *cough*

Former TG-21st
                Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

ArmA II

(L4D2 is also good for the price, but unless you fall in love with versus it gets old after awhile. I wouldn't touch BC2 unless you can find it dirt cheap, save your money for BF3 or get PR)

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

As far as MP goes I'll have to recommend BF BC2 and typically I hate those type of shooters, but surprisingly I actually enjoy that one. The squad based HardCore rooms allow for some good teamwork and while it's not realistic it's not exactly arcadey either, on those specific modes. ArmA 2 I bought with high hopes, but I've been sorely disappointed by it thus far. Playing MP is just too much of a PITA at the moment. Too many servers run too many different mods which makes jumping in and playing right away a bit of a chore. ArmA 2 is definitely in serious need of some sort of in-game mod manager. Also, as mentioned the majority of the servers run some form of co-op so you're not going to find much variety and there's only but a small handful of continuously active/populated servers.

So with that I think you'll find more enjoyment out of BC 2 now and it's worth waiting and keeping an eye on the PR team to see what they release for ArmA 2 in the near future.

Comment

OMG!!! I fixed my BF2 connection issues! FINALLY! It was 2 things. The pos modem provided by Time Warner, so they finally gave me a new one. Secondly, my roommate has the modem in his room. He bought a tv last year, and used a splitter for the cable, unbeknownst to me. Apparently, that was causing major packet loss. He isn't home yet, so he doesn't know I've disconnected him. I'm getting super fast internet and low latency gaming. FINALLY!

Time to download PR! :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...