Pivked this up from a thread in another TG froum; look suspiciously

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivked this up from a thread in another TG froum; look suspiciously

Since some people have begun to go overboard with signatures, we here at TG are looking at stripping them down to the bare minimum. It is way too much when half a window is taken up simply with a person’s signature. On top of that, it also is a burden on users that are not on some high speed internet connection. Trying to download all those images on every signature ruins the experience of surfing the forums for many members here.

At TG we have always encouraged being unique in the way you are allowed to present yourself to other members of the community. But it has gotten to the point that it is out of control the amount of text and pictures in every single post a user makes. We have seen such things as 6 or seven pictures, plus ribbons, plus 12 lines of text. That is simply too much, so we are left with no choice as to make some changes.

We are looking at alternative means in the very near future where we will change how your posts appear every time. Some of it possibly could deal with limiting your text to a single line as well as allowing only one image. That part is still not defined, but will be detailed upon implantation to the community. We are looking at all the options currently available and also what is best as a whole.

We have tried several measures in the past to ease the signature blocks and what are contained in there. The most recent was the failed Ribbon Signature Generator. The program actually worked as far as controlling your ribbons, but it eventually was scrapped due to the immense server load it created. It basically brought the forums to a halt, due to the taxing of the database.

We really do want you to utilize your profile more for all the details that you want to tell people about yourself. That seems like a much more appropriate place to show your individuality with things like messages and ribbons. Plus you can truly customize the appearance of yourself and it does not clog up the forums.

We appreciate your understanding in this, we are simply trying to make the TG forums are more “surfer friendly” environment.

TheBigC -sends

I'm Sorry? But who are you giving your control over to?
    "At TG we have always encouraged being unique in the way you are allowed to present yourself to other members of the community. But it has gotten to the point that it is out of control " ----- This **** sounds fatalisticic! booooo
    You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system.

Re: Pivked this up from a thread in another TG froum; look suspiciously

Umm, I don't really get the point of this thread. Quite frankly, massive signatures are just a burden on both slow loaders and on the page itself. It ends up being more signature than content. I see this as completely fine.

Comment

i agree with beat, some sigs are way to big. A sig is supose to represent you, not just be a gigantic image that means nothing and takes up alot of space.

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

As for the problem of "slow loaders"... well, let's just say that most people don't even know about the "Save for Web" function in Photoshop. Doing just a "Save As" and changing it to png/jpg/gif is just shoving the entire photoshop file as that extension. You have to use the Save for Web function to reduce the image size and properly save it, well, for the web.
        For instance, Nomad's signature picture is currently a 35kb png. However, saving for web as a "Very High" quality jpg results in 15kb, less than half the size, with no loss in perceptible image quality. This adds up big-time across the website (including the images for the website itself; the picture for the TG logo at the top of the site is 84kb!), resulting in a very 'heavy' website.

It's also possible (and very easy; it only takes 2 declarations in the CSS file) to have a maximum size forced in the signatures, and the rest of it would simply be cropped off...

Also, I'm not so sure this is relevant to Counter-Strike. Just saying.

Comment

There is a button in the control panel that allows you to stop seeing peoples avatars, signatures and if you want pictures in [img] tags

so if it really does bother you that much you can turn it all off
          AnimalMother
          Ex TG-31st LR
          "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
          sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

What's the problem? Big sigs are obnoxious. I have to say that I haven't seen very many that I would consider overly large on TG though.
            sigpic

Comment

Still working on some technical issues with this. It is going to be a "software" solution that will limit the stuff. Moderation is the key here, if people can't keep it tasteful and limited on their own, we are stuck with finding a solution.

As for people who want to show everything unique about them, that is what your profile page is for......
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

What will this "software solution" actually do?

Comment

Software stuff.
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

It is built into vBulletin exactly how many characters, lines of text and images can be added by a user. So it is controlled from the forum software and it is automatic. No matter how many images or text is put in by the user, it will get cut off by the software and limit it to something reasonable. :)
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

So what about users with larger ribbon racks?
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                        So what about users with larger ribbon racks?
                        It's been TG's policy to exempt ribbons, badges and other TG-issued awards from signature requirements.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X