Gaming Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Advice

I've been playing a lot of BF:BC2 and feel the need to spread my wings a little. I'd like to game more with you TG-types and am looking at either picking up BF2 (to give PR a go) or ArmA II. Does anyone have any advice on which one to pick and why? Is the TG Participation on both of these pretty good?
    **Ne Molesti Te Deprimant**

Re: Gaming Advice

Pr - cause we're all awesome over there :D.

Seriously though, it's a great game (but not for everyone), and best of all it's really cheap. You can grab BF2 for around $10.

PR is probably one of our (if not the) biggest titles at TG.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

PR is really good, rounds last around 2 hours a map and gameplay is much slower than BC2 which seems to be just a spamfest. A lot of TW goes on in PR. You should swing by on one of our PW days as they are always great fun.
      Viking

Comment

ArmA 2...
        If you want TW, Tactical gameplay and a truly realism, you should try it.

Drop by the TS or check the forums to see how to start.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

PR if you want a gateway drug into the sim realm. Arma2 if you have a trackir collecting dust ;).

Comment

You can get BF2 for $8 on Amazon. (Don't bother getting the Special Forces expansion; it's not needed for PR and will only collect dust after you've gotten PR set up)

If your computer can handle ArmA II (check out the demo to make sure), you can get both for $58.

Comment

If you are looking for something tactical Counter-Strike Source is still an option. Valve is rolling out an update to the game soon, and TG still has a great realism server running. $10 on Steam!

Comment

ArmA 2 is a great game. It does take a pretty built rig to run it well, and getting it all set up for TG takes a little bit of work but it's worth it. I bought the original Operation Flashpoint when it came out about 10 years ago, and then the first ArmA shortly after release. Flashpoint ruined console gaming for me with its huge scope and immersion.

They've all been a little buggy, but if you can look past the bugs you won't be disappointed.

Comment

You could always pick yourself up a copy of BF2142 and hop on with us old timers. ;)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Good advice y'all. Think I'll give BF:PR a shot, I might even be able to dig up an account for 2142 - is that still pretty active?

Comment

Originally posted by reforger View Post
                      Good advice y'all. Think I'll give BF:PR a shot, I might even be able to dig up an account for 2142 - is that still pretty active?
                      Unfortunately, 2142 has fallen inactive with the advent of BC2. If you own the game, the server still gets started fairly regularly, just not as often as it once was. There should be a patch coming out in the near future that should breathe some life into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                        Unfortunately, 2142 has fallen inactive with the advent of BC2. If you own the game, the server still gets started fairly regularly, just not as often as it once was. There should be a patch coming out in the near future that should breathe some life into the game.
                        Hmm, thought they were stopping at 1.50?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I usually check out the server populations each day, just to get an idea of whos playing what at TG... from my observations of the month of april/may, the TG servers each day:

Project Reality (BF2 mod) has 1 x 62 player server that fills reguarly to 62 players for around 6-12 hours each day, on weekends sometimes it is filled to 62 players for 16-20 hours. Obviously I'm a bit jaded but after extended observations on TG server population numbers (over 3 years), I think its safe to say that Project Reality is the most populated game server of all the games at TG, coming in close 2nd would be the newer BC2.

Bad Company 2 has 3 x 32 man servers, the mixed modes server is usually filled to 32 players for around 12-16 hours a day and the hardcore server sometimes fills to 20-30 players for 4-6 hours a day. The third conquest server sometimes gets around 10-20 players on, depending on the status of the other servers.

ArmA2 has 3 x 64+ player servers, at least one of them regularly fills to around 10-20 players, peaking around 30 (keep in mind the maps played at TG heavily involve fighting AI bots and rarely have human vs human gameplay). Very rarely (every 2 months or more) a server will fill to 40+ but ArmA2 and its mods have big time server stability issues with those higher player counts, so although ArmA2 technically supports up to around 100 players on a server, realistically 30 players is the practical number on TG.

Battlefield 2142 has 1 x 48 player server, it fills occasionally to 20-30 players, and on weekends sometimes fills close to 48 players for around 4-6 hours.

Counterstrike Source has 1 x 14 player server that fills anywhere from 8-14 players for 3-4 hours each night.

Point of Existence 2 (BF2 mod) has 1 x 64 player server but its never populated anymore and is a dead game here at TG.

Battlefield 2 (Vanilla) has 1 x 64 player server but its never populated anymore and is a dead game here at TG.

Call of Duty 2 & 4 & 5 has 3 x 24 player servers but they are never populated and are all dead games here at TG.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising does not support dedicated servers, only supporting local servers with max of 32 players, the entire player base for this game dropped off completely about 2 months after release when Codemasters abandoned support for it.
                          Last edited by fuzzhead; 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thx fuzzhead! A buddy at work used to play extensively on BF2142 and can't stop talking about how fun that game was. I felt like I missed out on that one, but it looks like that its still alive. BF2142 is looking better all teh time.

Comment

Weekends is indeed the best time to play 2142 on TG server. But there are more servers out there like Monkey Gamers, GHF and IFOR.
                              Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...