Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal 1 engine, with DX10

I thought this was interesting.

Unreal 1 with DX10, Parallax Occlusion Mapping.

Instead of 1998 graphics, looks like 2001-2002?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,69...e/?iid=1289909

Re: Unreal 1 engine, with DX10

That's what updating graphics framework does. If models and textures were remade under today's standards, you wouldn't recognize it anymore.

It's also the reason why Macs, using the currently sub-par OpenGL framework (DirectX is Microsoft technology), cannot render the same effects as a Windows machine, using DX10.
    Hopefully with the release of Steam for Mac, OpenGL will be brought up to speed which will in turn revive competition between OpenGL and DX.

Comment

Don't buy the MS line about the performance of OpenGL which Dx11 can only now reasonably emulate. Its been a marketing ploy to have the developers using the MS protocol so that there are fewer quality titles developed using the format and another competing technology gets squeezed out by the beast.
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I remember OpenGL's smoke/fog effects in Unreal Tournament in a much more favorable light than the smoke grenades from Counterstrike 1.6, is that the kind of early technology you are referring to Bronco?

Heck, UT had vehicles that worked properly, mods for 'realistic weapons' and an AI that didn't make completely stupid mistakes like BF2 AI does. Maybe it was just smaller maps and fewer players that made it work, but I have fond memories of OpenGL looking so much better than DirectX or whatever it was called back then and wondering why it dropped in popularity.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
          Don't buy the MS line about the performance of OpenGL which Dx11 can only now reasonably emulate. Its been a marketing ploy to have the developers using the MS protocol so that there are fewer quality titles developed using the format and another competing technology gets squeezed out by the beast.
          Assuming you're referring to my comment, the reason I say "currently sub-par" is not in reference to OpenGL itself but to the fact that Mac OS X 10.6.3 only just this year tidied up support for OpenGL 3.0, so it's been behind for quite some time now. OpenGL 4.0 was just announced this March (with there having been OpenGL versions 3.1, .2, and .3, all still currently missing support in OS X, from what I know); hopefully we can see support for it soon in 10.6.x so that it spurs up that competition, like I was saying. Developers who will, surely, begin developing for Mac as well, will have to use OpenGL.

Also, here's an article dicussing OpenGL and DirectX, in support of OpenGL and in bewilderment of why it isn't being used. Being a web-developer, his comment about "standards-based websites, for instance, trounce Silverlight, Flash, or ActiveX" got me interested; in short, he details how OpenGL is a platform which is standard across operating systems, and how DirectX10 came to power by using a FUD-campaign (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that showed DirectX10 games alongside DirectX9 games, comparing, in one instance, Crysis on DX10 vs. Halo 1 on DX9; considering that Crysis can be played on DX9 and that the graphics look near identical on either DX version, and that DX10 effects can be replicated on XP, it becomes obvious that the exclusion of XP from DX10 updates was a cheesy marketing ploy to rake in more money by forcing people to update for new games.

And here's a follow-up, from the same writer, addressing some of the comments made by Direct3D users.
          Last edited by Celestial1; 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

What version directx u got?
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
              Also, here's an article dicussing OpenGL and DirectX, in support of OpenGL and in bewilderment of why it isn't being used. Being a web-developer, his comment about "standards-based websites, for instance, trounce Silverlight, Flash, or ActiveX" got me interested; in short, he details how OpenGL is a platform which is standard across operating systems, and how DirectX10 came to power by using a FUD-campaign (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that showed DirectX10 games alongside DirectX9 games, comparing, in one instance, Crysis on DX10 vs. Halo 1 on DX9; considering that Crysis can be played on DX9 and that the graphics look near identical on either DX version, and that DX10 effects can be replicated on XP, it becomes obvious that the exclusion of XP from DX10 updates was a cheesy marketing ploy to rake in more money by forcing people to update for new games.
              I'm trying to remember the name of the settings mod for Crysis that gave the comparable graphics and better settings, but I checked it out in the Warhead expansion that runs in 64 bit and the game was faster, better looking, more visually appealing and completely lag free. The effects did not work as well on the 32 bit basic version of Crysis I got through steam, but I must say that screenshots of the settings mod next to DX10 were practically identical.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Not using Mac (but having at least one friend who is excited about Steam for Mac), I wasn't aware that Mac didn't support the newer graphics libraries. Sorry that I mistook the OP's original comment but I'm really hoping that with the present direction of major game development that we will see more and more smaller companies offering OpenGL games and Steam may have made that possible with support for Mac.
                Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

OpenGL is the real thing, but Direct**** has taken the control of everything...

Here is an example of what the Havok with OpenGL can do.

This game/engine is running on OpenGL...

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

@Bronco - Yes, there hasn't been much need for OS X to step up OpenGL support; now that there is a bit of force behind the need for it with Steam, this should hopefully get Apple into gear and get that settled, and that will back a lot of force when it comes to games being released for cross-platform play.

@Cephei - The first video doesn't show much for OpenGL. It's more of a Havok Physics Engine demo more than anything.

Comment

@Celestial

Yes, but do you remember that video showing Physx's fluid?

Well, that is what I was trying to compare...

Comment

I don't see the point in the comparison, though; Physx is an Nvidia proprietary, not Microsoft's, is available for cross-platform use, and it's not really regarded much differently than Havok as far as I know.

You may know something I don't, so enlighten me :)

Comment

Isn't Physx available only on DirectX?

Even if it isn't, I never saw a game using OpenGL and Physx.

But I'm pretty sure that OpenGL can run it lol, even not needing.

Comment

Nope. Physx, being an Nvidia proprietary, is available on anything Nvidia cards support; this includes, of course, OpenGL.

I don't know of any game using OpenGL and Physx, but then again I can't think of any games that use Physx and can only think of one that uses Havok (being the Source engine).

Doing a youtube search of "OpenGL Physx" pulls up quite a few results, mostly tech demos of some sort.

Comment

Dude, that spaceship game was amazing! Damn!
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X