The True Story of Black Hawk Down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The True Story of Black Hawk Down.

Hey guys, i remember watching this back in the day. It's a good documentary that some of you should watch, if interested in what happened in the 90's. It goes into some of the back story that lead to the incident. I've also found some raw videos of what happened on October 6th 1993, from the somali's point of view. IF i can track them down, i will post them here.

As far as i know, it's not copywrite because it's an educational video for just that purpose. However, i will remove it upon request of authority.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...4573272072999#

Discuss!
    sigpic

Re: The True Story of Black Hawk Down.

Why would I want the Somali's point of view?
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

that is just so sad.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post

Why not? We have the German point of view for WWII, the NVA point of view for vietnam. Its always good to look at all conflicts from both sides. Understand why they did what they did, what was the motivation. We may not agree with it, but its always a learning experience.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
            To enable you to reach a balanced conclusion on the subject.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

1 To learn the lessons of a badly managed military campaign, if you fail to see the other side to a conflict fair enough that is your look out, on a purely adversarial level it is intel.

2 To actually expose yourself to the true cost of these missions , whether they are successful or not. To answer some of the questions about why we keep meeting the same resistance when we embark on these endeavors when we go abroad. To realise that people in other countries actually consider themselves human beings as well and being attacked in and around their homes will kind of 'get pretty mad and shoot back'. Understanding this will at the very least enable us to get better at actually achieving the objective, i.e. the arrest/seizure of a HVT.

3 To value people's lives instead of considering everyone else as a statistic, the civilian cost of the the war in Somalia is staggering.

I don't know, basic situational awareness, that kind of thing.

Comment

Yeah guys, i am having a hard time finding those videos. The one video i saw, they where talking about how many casualties a certain hospital in Mogadishu received. It also talked about how effective the UN was delivering food, and how unprotected the shipments where.

I am going to have to dig farther into the mess of Google to try and locate it.
                sigpic

Comment

The Battle of Mogadishu wasn't a case of civilians defending their homes. It was a case of Aidid's militia fighting the Americans because the Americans invaded their turf. Not even Aidid himself described it that way when he divulged the number of his militia killed in the battle. This was the same faction that had killed Pakistani soldiers on a relief mission, and the sole faction that never actually followed the peace accord that the warring factions signed... even though they (General Aidid) signed it.

The whole point to the Ranger Task Force rolling into that section of Mogadishu was to capture high-ranking targets within Aidid's organization. The ultimate aim was to kill/capture Aidid himself and remove his faction from blocking the progress of peace. His arrest was the subject of a UN resolution following the aforementioned attack on UN peacekeepers.

Don't paint the operation back then with the same paintbrush everyone uses when complaining about today's Iraq. The mission then WAS righteous. We were trying to stop the Somalis from killing each other over food shortages. We weren't an invasion force. We didn't even have any heavy military weaponry. It was a humanitarian mission. We were there to try to help bring Somalia back from the edge of total civil war. Conflict was already raging since 1991. We led a UN-sanctioned task force into Somalia to try and restore order.

We failed. The entire UN operation collapsed under the weight of their casualties. Political support for the operation in Somalia amongst the American civilian public was pretty much zero after seeing Shugart and Gordon's desecrated corpses being dragged through the streets of Somalia, so that was that.

The civil war in Somalia has lasted this entire time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X