Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is this oil spill really?

http://paulrademacher.com/oilspill/

This Google guy tweaked Google Earth to display the oil spill so that you can see how it would look overlayed on your home town.

Depressing...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: How big is this oil spill really?

Neat use of the technology..

But put in perspective... http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ry.html?cat=37 ..at this point this is just a SPILL EVENT... although it's the same deal as #2 on the all time list.. . Just 30 Years later...
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      Depressing...
      Addictions typically are. Perhaps it's time for an intervention?

Comment

You really need to see this to understand the whole story:

The Gulf Disaster Video That BP Doesn't Want You To See

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

They have also found large plumes of oil under water down to 4,000ft so the slick you see on the surface is only part of it.
          BTW: it is NOT a spill with a limited amount that can leak out, it is a non-stop leak.
          There are a lot of heads that need to roll on this one but I doubt anything serious will happen to change the industry, simply too much money.
          60Min has an interview with a guy who was on DWH and he said they had a minor accident a week or two before and they knew the BOP was damaged but BP was rushing them to leave that site so they ignored it.
          They act as if the relief well that will take weeks to drill is the answer, but they know they could easily miss the well and have to start over.
          This could keep leaking 10,000-50,000 barrels a day for many months.
          This addiction has created it's own intervention.
          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
          So that when they turn their backs on you,
          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Thank god, the sea life in the region has been running rampid. this will slow down nature

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
              Thank god, the sea life in the region has been running rampid. this will slow down nature
              Had I been drinking tea whilst reading this thread, I'm sure I would have sprayed it all over my screen.

Please tell me you're joking.
              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                Had I been drinking tea whilst reading this thread, I'm sure I would have sprayed it all over my screen.

Please tell me you're joking.
                Well, with boon you got a 50/50 chance

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

BP wants Twitter to shut down a fake account mocking the oil company.
                  Twitter wants BP to shut down the oil leak that’s ruining the ocean.
                  From here.
                  The fake account.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Also a good article from Time Mag.:

Who's to Blame for the Gulf Oil Spill?

British Petroleum, the perpetrator of the mess, had greened its logo in recent years, noisily announced its commitment to environmentalism and styled itself as Beyond Petroleum, which was a prime example of postmodern, focus-grouped fecal marketing. Even the chemical that BP sprayed to disperse the spill, a product hilariously called Corexit, was toxic when used in such large quantities, according to the government. Reality had taken its revenge: BP now stood for Biggest Polluter.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...#ixzz0p9CnSjQV
                    Hahahahahaha

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

One thing I dont get is why everyone is so quick to point fingers. Yes, BP could have done a better job making sure things like this didnt happen, but in the end its our faults. Our growing demand for fossil fuels has caused this. No, I am not going to tell you do drive hybrids and fuel your cars with corn, or whatever the new thing is this week. I like driving as much as the next speed demon. All I am saying is, maybe this is the wake up call we as consumers need. Maybe now we can take a step back and say "damn, my constant need for fuel has cause oil companies to go to great lenghts to get more and more of this stuff. Maybe I should stop demanding more, and live with what I got".

Will never happen in a million years, but hey! At least one person is thinking about it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Well said Dredge, now if everyone understood this and our governments tried to step up to the plate and invest in alternative ways to power our world we wouldn't have these problems.

More to topic here is a video on CNN tracking the Gulf oil spill

2 more Gizmodo links:

Time Lapse Video of BP's Gulf Oil Disaster
                        Gulf Oil Disaster "Looks Very Scary", Says Astronaut

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

This clip from PMSNBC shows you how they industry just simply doesn't give a sh about safety, they just roll the dice.
                          http://www.wimp.com/oilspills/
                          But, the flip side is most people never heard of the '79 spill ( i didn't until I started reading about DWH ) and the Gulf recovered from that spill ( 30,000bbl/day x 9 months) so there is a good chance it will recover from this.
                          The fact that this spill or leak is much further down, both in sea depth and overall drilling depth, is the big unknown.
                          I think it is what they call a " known unkown".
                          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                          So that when they turn their backs on you,
                          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

A couple of comments. First of all, caveat reader, but if this proves to be true, things will get... *interesting* in the after-action review stage.
                            BP contracted Schlumberger (SLB) to run the Cement Bond Log (CBL) test that was the final test on the plug that was skipped. The people testifying have been very coy about mentioning this, and you’ll see why.

SLB is an extremely highly regarded (and incredibly expensive) service company. They place a high standard on safety and train their workers to shut down unsafe operations.

SLB gets out to the Deepwater Horizon to run the CBL, and they find the well still kicking heavily, which it should not be that late in the operation. SLB orders the “company man” (BP’s man on the scene that runs the operation) to dump kill fluid down the well and shut-in the well. The company man refuses. SLB in the very next sentence asks for a helo to take all SLB personel back to shore. The company man says there are no more helo’s scheduled for the rest of the week (translation: you’re here to do a job, now do it). SLB gets on the horn to shore, calls SLB’s corporate HQ, and gets a helo flown out there at SLB’s expense and takes all SLB personel to shore.

6 hours later, the platform explodes.
                            The other point is that BP most definitely cares about safety. Here's why: BP 60 day stock price vs. Dow Jones

Start from April 20th, the day of the explosion, when BP was 5.46% over its March 23rd level. Share price: $60.48. In a month, the shares dropped over thirty percent. We're talking about more than forty billion dollars pulling a vanishing act, and the crisis is far from over for BP. I assure you, they care.

I talk to a lot of mining company executives on a regular basis (some oil and gas too, but I admit it's mostly miners). They all -- without a single exception -- talk about their safety record and how important safety is to them. Of course it's mostly spin, but the fact that they all think I and my readers should care about it does hint at how important safety is to the continued functioning of their business. BP's track record isn't great in this, which to me indicates a systemic failure in risk management. This isn't a white cat-stroking, bemonocled evil genius sitting somewhere, laughing maniacally about how he doesn't care about the environment or human life, as long as the money keeps coming in. Rather, it's many, many steps in a chain of human interaction, failing in routine ways, but adding up to a catastrophe.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                            --BlackMirror
                            <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                            Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                            --Blackraven93

Comment

Drill baby, DRILL!

It is depressing. Both sides reduce the problem to pithy slogans.

Safety isn't important to the companies, profit is. Safety is only important in as far profit is affected by it. This is true of all companies of course. And this is the way it should be. Companies should not be deciding what is safe because what is safe, for a business, is based on risk vs profit.

Something else should be deciding, and enforcing, what is safe and the companies should be figuring out how to make the most money within those constraints.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X