Why Do You Play Video Games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do You Play Video Games?

About a week or so ago, I had a very long interesting conversation with another TG'er about why we play video games. Be it story line, the challenge, or the people that we meet. This got me thinking about it on a larger scale. So, Tactical Gamer, I ask you the same question. Why do you play video games? What is it that draws you in to the TV or computer monitor for hours on end?

For me, it is partly the story line. I enjoy the stories that are being told in this very interactive medium. I like being able to "help" the hero get to the end and save the planet. It is also partly because of the "Gamer". We are a very unique social group. We are drawn to one another to enjoy our hobby. We have never met, and probably never will. Yet, I call you friends, and enjoy the company.

So, what brings you to the pixels TG?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Why Do You Play Video Games?

I like stories, be they in books, films, TV programmes or games.
    I like the escapism, the fantasy - I'm never going to fly a fighter jet or command an army, never going to save the universe from an alien menace - in real life. In games, I can do all those things.
    I like the social aspect - working with others to achieve a common goal.
    I like the challenge, the sense of accomplishment when after a struggle I/we finally achieve what we/I aimed to do.
    I like the interactivity - I prefer games to films because although a film might have a better story, in a game, it's my story - see any of my numerous rants about Mass Effect and you'll know what I mean.
    I like meeting new people and finding out new things - many of the things I know, I have learned from you guys, people who I met while playing games. I like the fact that I don't have to know anything about you, and you me, to enjoy spending time with you. Most TGers are, to me, a voice, a username, a personality trait and perhaps a first name (if you're one of the people who have revealed their names here).

It's complicated, and it's hard to explain to a non-gamer, but I love games for a huge number of reasons, and I don't ever want to have to stop playing them.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Hell, I grew up a gamer. I had an atari 2600 as a baby. I saved up my meager allowance for over a year to get a nintendo. During my childhood, I played greenscreen games on 5-and-a-quarter inch floppy disks (you know, the REAL floppies) on an Apple II/C. As time progressed, I upgraded, moved on. At the dawn of the internet era, I was into text MUDs like Gemstone II and III on dialup AOL 1.0 and my 2800 baud modem. This kept on, eventually evolving to full on multiplayer games, like Mechwarrior 2 over KALI. Then, in my freshman year of college, I happened to live two dorm rooms down from one of the original mappers for Counter Strike. I played CS starting at pre-beta 1, back when the crowbar still sat in for the knife. I've been playing games ever since.

Back around october of 2000, I was a part of a CS clan called the Renegades. We played everything from casual gaming on our own server to cal-m 5v5 and cal-i 2v2 teams. It fell apart in about january of 2003 and I moved on. I started playing natural selection and discovered a community called the lunixmonster. There are several people around here who remember that place. Anywho, it started dying off and a few of my buddies from there suggested this place called Tactical Gamer, since they played NS basically the same way we did on the lunixmonster server. After that, it was all over. Been here ever since and aint ever leaving. If Apophis shuts this place down someday, he's going to have to call the cops to have me removed from the forums. :D

For me, its the like minded people. I dont see the connection between the gamers here as anything imaginary or intangible. I have met several of the guys in the 6th in person. My brother is the recruitment officer for the 24th. I plan on meeting many more people before I hang up my gaming hat, which judging by the ages of some of the more...advanced...guys at TG, wont be for a LOOONG time.

Comment

Having inherited some ADD/ADHD from my Father, I am constantly looking for something to do to keep my mind busy. With my brother being born at the beginning of the 8-bit era, and myself being born at the beginning the 16-bit era, I wasted a lot of my earlier years playing Mario (both 1 and 3, as well as SMWorld) on both the NES (from his childhood) and SNES. I also enjoyed Legend of Zelda, Megaman, and Star Fox.

Mario, Zelda, and Star Fox dragged me to the N64 with their respective releases. I spent a lot of time with Super Mario 64, reaching 100-something stars before I got bored. Then, when Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time showed up (and my brother finished it so I could play it), I became really hooked on gaming. I so enjoyed the story of OoT that I played all the way through it in a relatively short time (for me, at the time). I spent a lot of time with the N64 and enjoyed it a lot (largely due to the great storytelling of Miyamoto), I eventually met the dilemma of not being immediately treated to a GameCube upon release, of course, luck would have it that the local Bowling Alley was offering a GameCube to the winning team in a Jr league. Having already been bowling for fun for a short while beforehand, I was up for the challenge; Of course, I got me a GameCube, 'cause I'm a winner. I continued to move up the gaming ranks with the PlayStation2, and eventually discovered something that let me entertain myself on the PC.

Flash games were becoming widespread. I found a few sites where they collected them in one place, one of them being newgrounds. This got me spending more time on the PC, and my brother began playing Half-Life. In High-School, a friend from a higher grade eventually offered me his steam account after we had exchanged songs (us both being fans of Zep, the Doors, the Beatles...) and I began playing CS1.6, and joined up with a small clan that had a server where teamwork was encouraged. Soon afterward, I started playing Battlefield 2. From there I found a large clan and was enlightened to the teamwork we had in Vanilla. Eventually the clan got strung thin with different games becoming available, and I found the Project Reality mod in it's growing stages (Ironic note: The system I spent the most time playing with, the N64, was codenamed Project Reality for the advancement in graphics it boasted). The mod just updated to v0.5, and was largely a boost in difficulty from Vanilla at the time; a lot of gameplay things were changed, and a few new maps and models, but most appealing was the challenge presented by "realistic weapon damage"; no more frustration from putting a full mag of ammo into a guy in Vanilla, I was intrigued.

I enjoyed leading in Vanilla (mainly to have more guns with me, being Vanilla and all), and I also enjoyed flying helicopters a lot. This continued to PR, where my leadership skills were put to the test and I had to really manage what was happeneing, rather than just expecting them to keep up and get kills, and have enjoyed flying as a way to help people on our team get where they need to be safely. It's been this way ever since.

I game because it's been part of my daily routine for all of my life. I game for the social interaction. I game for the challenge and the objectives.
        I game for teamwork.

Comment

Well, my post isn't going to be anything like the previous two but for me it's just to have some fun and escape reality for a while.

Comment

I play games to kill people. I can't kill people in real life, so I do it digitally.

It is also the only hobby I have time for. I work long hours and quite a few weekends, video games are always there waiting on me. I am usually home from work at 7pm (when I don't work late) and my kids go to bed by 8pm, that gives me an hour with them. My wife often times falls asleep fairly early in the evening by 9 or 10 pm, so from 10pm to 2am, is catman time. Not the best time to ride a bike, go play cards with friends, go golfing, but video games are always at home waiting on me to play them.

If I play a single player game, I'm not worried about difficulty, I want to beat it and I want to annihilate the enemy, so I usually play on easy and destroy my enemies :)
            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Personally I really like the customising element in games, whatever type of game it is. I'm one of those people who really likes an original game but is active in certain modding communities to extend a game further.

Beyond that I love a good story.

I mostly play games in-between stuff I should really be spending more time on (lol), and mostly just for pure fun and escapism.
              Jango

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                I play games to kill people. I can't kill people in real life, so I do it digitally.

It is also the only hobby I have time for. I work long hours and quite a few weekends, video games are always there waiting on me. I am usually home from work at 7pm (when I don't work late) and my kids go to bed by 8pm, that gives me an hour with them. My wife often times falls asleep fairly early in the evening by 9 or 10 pm, so from 10pm to 2am, is catman time. Not the best time to ride a bike, go play cards with friends, go golfing, but video games are always at home waiting on me to play them.

If I play a single player game, I'm not worried about difficulty, I want to beat it and I want to annihilate the enemy, so I usually play on easy and destroy my enemies :)
                Catman, get out my head and life :D
                Very similar reason why and how I play video games. Creepy :row__682:
                We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

I played cowboys and Indians when I was a child and fps are an extension of that I guess. I play for the fun of playings. Before computers I played board games of all kind including checkers, chess, etc. The computer made it so I can play the games by myself or with others. More hours spent on the CIV series than any others . The first online play was the Empire earth series. The first computer games was on a main frame (before pc's) some were star trek (no graphics) and the Colossus Cave (a text game...xyzzy) which was a really great game.
                  The Old Guy
                  kin3
                  sigpic

Comment

I pretty much been playing computer games when i was a kid. I always enjoyed the limitless things you can do in the game and including the people that you meet in these games. Heck, I met my wife through counterstrike source, even though she was an ok player, and also when i was in the navy i found out the my old guild leader in world of warcraft served on the same ship as me in norfolk virginia and he discharged 4 months before i got onto the ship. so i enjoy the people that i meet on these computer games. i have always enjoyed them so much, that i am attending a college for game design & devlopment. so that's why i like playing these games.

Comment

Originally posted by retrokill View Post
                      Catman, get out my head and life :D
                      Very similar reason why and how I play video games. Creepy :row__682:
                      Creepy is what I do retro.... :)
                      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Being younger, I spend the earlier part of my day with friends or playing sports but unless I have a party to go to, from 10pm and on I have nothing else to do. I also play games in general because they are fun. If they stop being fun, then why bother playing them? A big part of games for myself is the community as well; with BC2 and other games I have TG. With games such as Guild Wars I have nearly 40 individual people that I have grown to call friends, and who I can always get on to simply chat with and have fun with in game.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                          Creepy is what I do retro.... :)
                          [/BARRICADES DOORS]Oh, ok then. Just so long as I know.[BARRICADES DOORS]
                          We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

I used to play video games solely for the storyline when I only did singleplayer. As the years passed, I eventually got into online gaming and it slowly turned from into a part fun, part fulfillment as I started going google-gaga over all the weapons and tech, and meeting and playing with other players. Nowadays, it's for "fun"/entertainment and because it's one of the few activities and things I can do with friends that live so far away. It's almost my only interactive link with those friends.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've always played video games from the time my cousing gave me his old NES. Moved up to a SNES, of course N64 and then found computer games. Age of Empires 2 was my first real computer game, and I played that a ton. Of course I loved the favorite Nintendo games; Mario, Zelda, Starfox, etc. but my heart was in strategy and tactical games. That's why I loved AoE2 so much, and would literally spend entire weekends with my friends trying to beat Conflict: Desert Storm on expert difficulty, planning out missions beforehand and trying to execute them flawlessly.

A friend later introduced me to BF1942, and I was hooked. It was like a mix of my favorite games, having both strategy and tactical elements. Of course after 1942 came BFV, and finally BF2. I remember one of the first servers I tried was TG's demo server, and actually calling in targets for the Cobra via VOIP was mind-boggling and revolutionary to me. Of course then PR came along, the perfect game for my kind of gaming style and I've been here ever since.

I agree with Catman in that gaming is a hobby that I have time for. My schedule is incredibly busy, and this is one of the few things I can pick up and do on my time. Being a poor college student it's also incredibly cheap, considering most other hobbies I got into (paintball, airsoft, working on my truck, etc.) were incredibly expensive and I just can't afford it. However for $80 a year plus the occasional PC upgrade I can play PR all I want :D.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X