Recommend Some TV Shows!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Some TV Shows!

Because I live in the UK and don't have Sky, I often miss a lot of decent American or Canadian TV programmes (many are either not shown here at all, or only on Sky, and even then long after they were on US TV - Castle only started over here in April). Example: I only watched Firefly (on DVD) in the last few months (if you haven't yet, you should - it's excellent), and I just started watching Battlestar Galactica (also on DVD). A few of my friends who have Sky have informed me that Chuck and Castle are brilliant, and that I should watch them, but I'm sure there are many more great shows that I'm missing out on.
    So I'm here to ask you, TG, what TV shows should I watch? I quite like sci-fi (as you can probably tell) so are there any particularly good sci-fi series (other than Firefly and BSG, obviously) that you recommend? Is Stargate any good - there seem to be an awful lot of different variations (SG1, Atlantis, Universe, oh my!)? Of course, if you know of any good non-sci-fi shows I'd like to hear of them as well!

So, yeah. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

(Sorry to spam up the general forums with question threads like these, I'm just curious to see what other people here like).
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: Recommend Some TV Shows!

Oh, wow. Um, I guess it depends on your particular tastes, but I can give you some of the shows I watch/have watched that are significantly enjoyable. I'll start the list with the ones you know...
    Castle - crime drama. writer solves mysteries. i'm sure your friends have filled you in.
    Chuck - spy comedy. epic. hot women, jayne from firefly, dude with a supercomputer in his head. very very funny. my favorite show.
    Stargate
    SG1 - picks up where the movie left off. Humans vs. Goa'uld in our galaxy. 10 seasons.
    Atlantis - Humans discover the 8th symbol on the stargate and use it to travel to the lost city of atlantis in the pegasus galaxy. Starts around season 8 or 9 of SG1, so I'd recommend watching that first, but not necessary. 5 seasons.
    Universe - We discover the 9th chevron. Use it to travel billions of light years to an ancient ship. Takes place after atlantis and SG1 are over. Still in first season.
    Smallville - story of young superman. not even close to following actual superman canon, but it's a fun show to watch and the women on it are hot. just finished its 9th season, still airing.
    Burn Notice - Spy drama/comedy. Spy gets blacklisted, dumped in miami and proceeds to try and figure out what the hell is going on while also helping people with problems in a spy-esque manner, assisted by his ex-IRA hitwoman ex-girlfriend and his ex-spy ex-FBI-informant friend. Really good show. Just premiered its 4th season last night.
    Rescue Me - Comedy/Drama wrapped around the 62 Truck firehouse of the FDNY after 9/11. Dennis Leary heads the cast. About to start season 6 this month. Awesome show.
    Sons of Anarchy - Drama revolving around the Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original chapter (you'll hear them referred to as SAMCRO a lot, i spelled out the acronym for you :)). Very good show. Lots of guns, drugs, conflict. Season 3 starts in september, which I'm eagerly awaiting.
    Warehouse 13 - Secret government warehouse that holds all kinds of super-secret technology. Two agents are sent out to recover lost/stolen pieces. Very good sci-fi show.
    Eureka - Sci-fi show set in a small town in oregon entirely populated by area-51 type scientists who routinely cook up crazy experiments that are the root problems of the show. Main character is the "average joe" sherriff of the town.

Comment

Breaking Bad
      Mad Men
      Most shows that have aired on HBO

Scifi wise I can't think of anything recent than what you mentioned. Track down the older star trek series if you haven't already.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

One show I'd recommend at the moment is a show called 'Luther'. It's a recent BBC show (in the UK), although friends who live abroad tell me they can watch it .. not sure where though. It's a cop/police drama, but has more twists that an umbilical cord .. worth checking out.
        Jango

Comment

The X-Files

The Shield
          It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia

*old* Rescue Me (Before Dennis Leary started writing himself into sex scenes with every woman in NYC)
          *old* Nip/Tuck (Seasons 1-4... 4 is even questionable)

Heroes, Season 1+2. 3 Was painful. Will inform you how bad season 4 is when I watch it soon...
          Skud

Comment

All right, thanks guys! I'll be sure to check some of those out and see what they're like.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Yeah, I also recommend Mad Men, and Breaking Bad. Those are two tv's stop series. Stargate Universe is fantastic, and the season finale is next week. True Blood is also another fun show to watch, and its chick approved.

Comment

Chuck is brilliant.

I quite enjoy Dexter. It's a dark series about a police forensics guy that is also a serial killer. Excellent show.

NCIS and NCIS:LA are watched in my house. Both cop shows with a military twist. LA is a bit lighter than the original. If you like the old JAG show, you'll probably like these.

My absolute favorite is House. Basically a brilliant diagnostician and his team save people from weird conditions. Dr. House is phenomenally snarky and the show is really about how people interact with each other. The medical issue is just a canvas for the writers to paint on...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Justified, look it up.
                  When I count, there are only you and I together
                  But when I look ahead up the white road
                  There is always another one walking beside you
                  Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
                  I do not know whether a man or a woman
                  - But who is that on the other side of you?

/The Waste land by T.S Eliot

Comment

Oh how could I forget Dexter!

Justified looks good. It will be interesting to see that actor in a lead role instead of a supportin role he had in the shield.
                    Skud

Comment

I'd Second NCIS and NCIS:LA, good shows with likeable characters and some funky humor. NCIS just finished its 7th season. NCIS:LA just finished its first.

V, a remake of the 1980's origional, stars several people from Firefly and other shows. Deals with alien Visitors coming to earth "in Peace". The ensuing chaos is fun. It just finished its first season.

Law and Order, Special Victims Unit, and Criminal intent usually fairly decent, you can pick and choose depending on what characters you like.

Royal Pain just started its second season, its a show about a high class emergency room doctor who get black listed and starts doing his businness free lance in the Hamptons.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                        Oh how could I forget Dexter!

Justified looks good. It will be interesting to see that actor in a lead role instead of a supportin role he had in the shield.
                        Well, if you like Olifant (bad spelling) Skud, I would recommend "Deadwood" aswell (he plays one of the main characters in that show). It's a really good show anyhow. Western described in a quite colorfull way - warning, foul language, not for kids!
                        When I count, there are only you and I together
                        But when I look ahead up the white road
                        There is always another one walking beside you
                        Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
                        I do not know whether a man or a woman
                        - But who is that on the other side of you?

/The Waste land by T.S Eliot

Comment

Spartacus: Blood and Sand. That show plain rocked.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Wow, there's a lot of good shows that you have missed out on.

24 - FOX
                            Breaking Bad - AMC
                            Burn Notice - USA, highly recommended
                            Californication - Showtime, comedy
                            Dark Blue - TNT
                            Deadwood - HBO, excellent show
                            Dexter - Showtime
                            Entourage - HBO, comedy
                            Fringe - FOX
                            House - FOX
                            Justified - FX
                            Lie To Me - FOX
                            Lost - ABC
                            NCIS - CBS
                            NCIS: Los Angeles - CBS
                            Royal Pains - USA
                            The Shield - FX, cop show, highly recommended
                            Sons of Anarchy - FX, highly recommended
                            The Sopranos - HBO
                            Southland - TNT, cop show
                            Stargate Universe - SYFY
                            Supernatural - CW
                            The Wire - HBO, best show ever in my opinion
                            Treme - HBO, from the creators of The Wire
                            True Blood - HBO

Comment

Westy,

Have you seen Primeval at all? If you haven't, you should take a look. Great storyline and filmed and produced in the United Kingdom too. Pretty sure SkyOne is showing re-runs of the first three seasons.

Here's a short description of the show from Wikipedia:

Primeval follows a team of five scientists tasked with investigating the appearance of temporal anomalies across Great Britain and containing prehistoric and futuristic creatures which enter the present.

Everyone else has covered most of the others I like, so here are others that I'd recommend:

The Lone Gunmen - Spinoff of the X-Files. Covers a small group of paranormal investigators who was presented to be close acquitiances of Fox Mulder in season one of X-Files.

Series Description:
                              The series revolved around the three characters of The Lone Gunmen: Melvin Frohike, John Fitzgerald Byers and Richard Langly, a group of "geeky" investigators who ran a conspiracy theory magazine. They had often helped FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder on The X-Files.

Millenium - Another X-Files inspired series. Unfortunately, it was canned after the 3rd season.

Series Description:
                              The series takes place during the years leading up to the turn of the century, and follows the investigations of ex-FBI agent Frank Black, a law enforcement consultant working for a mysterious organization known as the Millennium Group.

24 - Series just ended after eight seasons. One of my all-time favorites.

Series Description:
                              The series follows a Special Agent Jack Bauer, initially assigned to a counter-terrorism agency called CTU. Bauer is the only character to have appeared in all eight seasons, as well as appearing in every episode of the series. The series begins with him working for the Los Angeles based Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU), for whom he is characterized as a highly proficient agent, but one taking an "ends justify the means" approach regardless of the perceived morality of some of his actions. Throughout the series most of the main plot elements unfold like a political thriller. A typical plot has Jack Bauer racing against the clock as he attempts to prevent multiple terrorist plots, including presidential assassination attempts, nuclear, biological and chemical threats, cyber attacks, as well as conspiracies dealing with government and corporate corruption.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X