Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good night's sleep makes you better at that video game

No more late nights of gaming. :D

These results, presented at the annual meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping in Toronto, show that sleep alters brain function and in so doing may help turn new skills into habits.
    Brief Article
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Good night's sleep makes you better at that video game

Hotpockets make you better at gaming. Sleep is for the weak!

Comment

There are studies that also show that being tired while playing video games increases the chance of you going into "The zone" which is a stress-induced state.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I hit \"the zone\" usually at around 11 or so. I am total uber-ness when I hit that and I usually suck any time before that. Like Spyder said, I hit the zone after I start to get a little tired.

Comment

The link doesn't work for me. Can you either post another link or copy the text?
          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

19 Jun 2005
            email this article to a friend
            printer friendly version
            view all opinions on this
            write an opinion on this

Why do we sleep? Scientists have pondered this question for some time, but no one yet has all the answers. Recent evidence suggests that one effect of sleep is to consolidate memories of events encountered during the day.

Research carried out by a group of scientists in Belgium, led by Pierre Orban and Philippe Peigneux, suggests that memory related brain activity also is affected by sleep. In their experiment volunteers learned to navigate through a virtual town, and then had their brain activity measured with MRI scans while they attempted to reach a target location.

After being tested, some of the participants were sent home to sleep and others were kept awake overnight in the laboratory. When scanned again several days later, everyone showed less brain activity in a region of the temporal lobe thought to mediate learning new spatial environments.

However, those individuals allowed to sleep after the first training session showed more activity in another brain region, the caudate nucleus, which allows task performance to become more automatic during learning.

These results, presented at the annual meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping in Toronto, show that sleep alters brain function and in so doing may help turn new skills into habits.

Organization for Human Brain Mapping
            L&L Management 5841 Cedar Lake Rd. Ste. 108
            Minneapolis, MN 55416
            http://www.humanbrainmapping.org
            United States
            there you go.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
              Hotpockets and Mountain Dew/Monster/Bawls/RedBull make you better at gaming. Sleep is for the weak!
              Fixed it for you!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You can sleep when you're dead!!
                He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. - Sun Tzu, Art of War

Comment

Thanks Spyder.

It's a pitty they didn't give the subjects a similar test again to see if those who had slept on their skill learned it better.

I would really like to see some research sowing whether it is better to study/practise in the afternoon and then relax in the evening, or study/practise just before bed then sleep on it. Similarly, would a recap of what you had learned today just before lights out be more effective than a recap in the morning of what you learned yesterday?...
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X