Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See what 'E3' was like 20 years ago

Summer CES -- the "E3" of 1990

1up posted some interesting pictures of Summer CES from way back in 1990. Man, those were the days of cool hair, and awesome graphics.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3180068

Re: See what 'E3' was like 20 years ago

Haha, that was before i was born.
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

You missed the days of videogaming before the advent of the internet, Vinman. Those were the times when there were magazines dedicated solely to cheat codes and "strategy guides" (which, since most games back then were 8-bit side scrollers consisted of fold-out pages of the entire level layout so you could expect what sort of platform jumping you would have to do), Nintendo Power was the only magazine anyone really read, and the Konami Code was in strong effect, and if you really wanted to crap your pants at awesome stuff to play you went to the arcade for an afternoon.

I remember about one or two years later when my friend got the Super Nintendo and played Super Mario Bros. on it. The sound and graphics were AMAZING.

LOL. Memories.

Comment

Oh, Game Genie was such a blast. You could literally keep playing Galaga for hours.

Comment

I fully expected to see mullets and zoobas. Anyways, thanks for the link :)

Comment

Cool, was before I was born as well :) Grew up on the NES tho lol
            2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
            BC2: |TG| Wesb2
            BF3: Wesb23

Comment

Man these posts bring back so many gaming memorys I mean Nintendo Power Magazine! I still have a few old copys of that in storage LOL! Ive also got 3 issues of sega power and 2 issues of saturn power these may be worth some cash one day I googled saturn power and it only ran for 10 issues before it was pulled.
              |TG| Plude220

Comment

Ohhh, this looks very sci-fi-y!

Turn the top one into touchscreens and put in some voice recognition and voila!

"Computer, coffee please, hot!" :D
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                  Those were the times when there were magazines dedicated solely to cheat codes
                  Holy crap. You gave me a nostalgia trip mentioning this. Remember "Tips & Tricks"? Always had a stack of those things available and you had to remember which particularly issue had the game you were looking for if the game was either too old or too obscure.

"strategy guides" (which, since most games back then were 8-bit side scrollers consisted of fold-out pages of the entire level layout so you could expect what sort of platform jumping you would have to do),
                  Hey, don't knock the strategy guides--for a game like LoZ 2, those maps and locations could be a godsend. Also, those were the days that when you bought a game like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy, you got a 50 page full color manual, a gigantic fold-out hand illustrated world map which you could flip over to see a complete bestiary of the game, and in the case of Final Fantasy, a complete chart of items and locations as well as a map for every dungeon in the game. And all of that came standard and practically expected. Now, all you can expect in a console game box is a paper advertisement for another game and a black and white pamphlet explaining how to use the game in case you're too dumb to breathe--if they feel like gracing you with the merchandise. Now if you want even just a cheap, colored flipbook, you have to shell out the same $70-100+ today--that you admittedly paid back then for every game--for the "collector's edition" which might not even have hardly any neat stuff beyond acting as a trophy for your shelf.

I think the last CE game box I bought that was satisfying was the one for Age of Conan since it came with beautiful hardcover books and other nifty things--shame I hated the game, though. Starcraft II's CE is also really, really nice.

I remember about one or two years later when my friend got the Super Nintendo and played Super Mario Bros. on it. The sound and graphics were AMAZING.
                  It's kind of saddening to think about how technology changes even faster now and I'm duly unimpressed by it* as compared to when I first saw the opening sequence of Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation. Especially when the last "3d" game I had played had been something like Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn, where a scene or character model's polygon count could be counted by hand.

LOL. Memories.
                  Quit making me feel old; I'm only in my 20s, damn it.

*Relevant XKCD comic:
                  Last edited by Flarfignuggen; 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: Had to add in the xkcd comic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X