Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrepo - National Geographic Documentary; Sebastian Junger

www.restrepothemovie.com

This documentary is playing in selected cities, from what I have read it makes you feel that you are right there with the Army Unit which was deployed at the FOB/Outpost Restrepo in the Korengal Valley.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Restrepo - National Geographic Documentary; Sebastian Junger

I'd also recommend the book War by Sebastian Junger about the same outpost and unit.

Comment

I just finished the book, and yes it is very good.
      sigpic

Comment

I might have to go to the DC showing.

Comment

It is very good. Very moving as well. I highly recommend it. If it is playing in a city near you, go watch it, this is really the first movie of its kind. Don't listen to the critics headlines when they say it is similar to "The Hurt Locker" it isn't, these are real soldiers, not actors. The only similar instances that might be similar to the hurt locker are the bomb dismantling scenes, and maybe the few scenes with Jeremy Renner smoking a cig and having some water, but that is all.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Well, looks well filmed. Very Hollywood-ish. The cinematography has that "reality TV" feel to it. Did it say "From the Director of the Hurt Locker" in the preview? The war is about as bad as it ever been, and its public support is dieing more with every passing month. My take: Absolute propaganda. They are selling you the action to motivate you to join the military and get deployed there for adventure. And they are not showing you all the people who are coming back from that war messed up physically and psychologically and how some of them are not getting the support they need. You wanna know what its like? Go ask someone who's been over there. That's what I did. Better than any movie.

Well, I'm not intending this to be a troll post, I'm sure some people won't like this comment. But , since we're leaving comments, I just gotta cut lose and say my reaction on this.
            Last edited by GeneralCarver; 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM.
            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

GC, you do realize its a documentary?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
                GC, you do realize its a documentary?
                I understand and agree that it is published as a documentary.
                Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I haven't seen the film yet (its not showing in my area), but if it follows the tone of the book (which I imagine it would considering it was shot by the same person at the same time), it is the antithesis of a military recruiting tool. Perhaps, the best counter to such a claim is the last line from the book which I'll quote below.

"{... after discussing one soldier's inability to reintegrate with civilian society} Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.

Comment

Well, this documentary will not be be playing here. Actually, people here hates things that requires thinking.

So, when it will be released on the internet or in DVD?

Also, this documentary of the danish ISAF seems pretty interesting:

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                      I understand and agree that it is published as a documentary.
                      Congrats, you uncovered it!!! How did you know all those people were actors?!

GC do you also believe that we didn't walk on the moon, and that it was just fabricated propaganda?
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

I really want to see this when its available, looks interesting regardress.

Comment

This is all history. We've closed all outposts in the Korengal Valley. Incredibly dangerous area of Afghanistan that possessed little-to-no strategic value to the main effort.

Comment

Was a great movie, just got back from it. Highly reccomend it.

Couldnt help thinking of the OA JIPs every time those crows circled overhead.

Comment

I saw it a week or so ago.. its a good movie and Carver its a real documentary lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X