Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be prepared, they're coming. Sinkholes

Sinkholes....
    Removing all this oil from underground cavities will cause problems sooner or later. Oil companies pump water into the cavity to push the stubborn oil sands out. But when the oil comes out by it's own pressure, nothing is pumped in to fill the empty space that's left. I honestly feel like this will create extreme chaos in the future.
    Last edited by joey; 06-26-2010, 07:08 PM.

Re: Be prepared, they're coming. Sinkholes

Is there any evidence of this, or is this just a personal concern?

Comment

I've been studying sinkholes in my spare time...yes,there is a link between oil drilling and sinkholes. I suspect that it will take time for mother nature to work on these cavities for them to completely cave in. But just think how dangerous this could be.
      Last edited by joey; 06-26-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Seems to make sense to me. the oil fills up a space. When a void is created, there is nothing to hold up what was being held up. Thus the possibility of a sinkhole. May seem like simple thought, but I can't explain more cohesively....lol
        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

You're right and wrong at the same time. Back in the day, greedy oil companies used to suck up as much oil as they could as fast as they could. Often times, this would not only permanently ruin oil/gas formations, but sinkholes would soon happen. Nowadays, regulations (which vary slightly from state to state) limit the amount of oil/gas that is allowed to be extracted per month for a given amount of acreage. This not only extends the life of a well, but allows the formations to sustain themselves. Sinkholes are definitely possible, but the odds of it happening these days are seriously limited compared to 100 years ago. I'd say it's nothing to really be concerned about anymore.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

BTW, from what I've seen about the more recent sinkholes, they're usually related to OLD wells that were drilled back when oil companies drilled much more irresponsibly. I know BP handles things like a bunch of schmucks, but here in Texas, we finally pretty much have our act together when it comes to drilling responsibly.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Interestingly, Texas has recently had some earthquakes that many attribute to the mining of the Barnett Shale. Three earthquakes in a week is something that scared a lot of Texans. Being a California boy, didn't bother me in the least...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Dude what? Were the heck did this come from? I think I've located a sink hole.. between your ears! hahaha
                Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X