Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who gets chosen to go on afghanistan convoys?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who gets chosen to go on afghanistan convoys?

With all the coalition troops that are stationed in Afghanistan, how do they choose who will leave the base to go on those dangerous far from base convoys?

And for those dangerous outposts (or fob's), do they have volunteers to go out there, or do just pick the best trained?

I don't have any military knowledge, i'm just a guy that likes to play online. I have the highest respect for the courageous soldiers out there, it must be scary especially at night.

Re: Who gets chosen to go on afghanistan convoys?

From what I understand, different allied forces control and operate in separate regions. These different forces do not overlap each other, but most share their area of operations with local forces like the Afghan Army.

Since all the major military players in theatre are volunteer based, essentially they are all there on a volunteer basis. Once they join and are deployed, there is no volunteering, your unit is assigned a task and you execute your orders.

Again, this is not based on actually being in the military.
    sigpic

Comment

You have a point there, they are all volunteers since they joined the military.

I wonder if a soldier would want to go the deepest and most dangerous FOB, if they would grant him his wish. Probably some have made the request.

Comment

uuumm, never been there, but my 2 times in Iraq doing convoys the decision was simple, we go where we are told.

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
          You have a point there, they are all volunteers since they joined the military.

I wonder if a soldier would want to go the deepest and most dangerous FOB, if they would grant him his wish. Probably some have made the request.
          Nothing I have read suggests this happens. I've read of several occasions where rear echelon types like say a cook, requests to make a trip to a fob or similar to engage the enemy / participate in a firefight in order to get their combat badge.

I doubt if an individual soldier would want to leave his unit, they become like his family. Again, not based on personal experience.
          sigpic

Comment

Everebody in the army gets some combat training in case they have no choice. But patrols are done by most suitable units. But im in britain. I asked when i went to army careers office and been told there is no way to avoid being at risk of getting shot and going to worst places

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

I'm not sure how they decide, but I can tell you second-hand that sometimes the decision on who to send is not typically the smartest. I have a friend stationed in Iraq with the Army Rangers as a mechanic, he has been sent into firefights on more than one occasion. He even told me that on one trip he was to watch the vehicle while his squadmates did a breach and clear. The only problem was that they put him on grenade launcher with flashbang rounds (a weapon he had not fired or trained with previously), and was told to lob a round through a window when they gave the signal. By some act of divine providence the round landed on the window sill he was aiming for and just happened to roll into the building instead of out which would have flashed his squad instead of the terrorists inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Uchiha Obito View Post
                The only problem was that they put him on grenade launcher with flashbang rounds (a weapon he had not fired or trained with previously), and was told to lob a round through a window when they gave the signal. By some act of divine providence the round landed on the window sill he was aiming for and just happened to roll into the building instead of out which would have flashed his squad instead of the terrorists inside.
                That seems to sound very typical..

I guess maybe they figured "everyone" knows how to fire a grenade launcher or something!?!?!

Comment

lol idk, but he said he just about soiled himself when he almost missed it

Comment

Well, back when my PMC was hired in Afgan to run convoys (GeneralCarver's Army, INC.).. I was usually chosen by default. Being a General and all. You have no idea how hard it is to run an entire convoy by yourself. First you drive the front truck down the road 100m. Then you park it, get out.. go back and do it for each vehicle in the convoy. All the way down the route. Yep, its hard, but someone had to do it.
                    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                      uuumm, never been there, but my 2 times in Iraq doing convoys the decision was simple, we go where we are told.
                      This has got to be the closest to my experience as well. There really is no deciding. Units are given missions to travel based on the needs of the Army or overall mission. If the mission is move supplies or equipment, its probably going to be a transportation unit. If its to goto a area that is getting more hostile, send an infantry, MP, Cav, or armor unit. It really depends on the purpose of the convoy.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X