Hacked Steam Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked Steam Account

Ok i have a huge problem. My steam account got hacked and the person that hacked it bought Moder Warfare 2. I order games by my friends mom's credit card. She doesnt know aboutthis yet and i need to know what to do. I already contacted steam about it and they havent responded. Any chance the credit card company will let go of the charge?
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Re: Hacked Steam Account

Credit cards companies will usually reverse a charge if it was unauthorized, but they'll request that you attempt a resolution with the retailer before contacting them.

I'd tell her, btw. Seems like she puts a lot of trust in you letting you use her card. You probably don't want to break that.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

As long as you can prove ownership, Steam will work through the problem with you. If you haven't already, get the process started right now and while the situation obviously sucks, let your friend's mother know immediately so she can contact her bank about the fraudulent charges. This is not something you want to wait on on either front.

I will also say this: Parents are extremely reasonable, even if they're not your own. The fact she trusts you enough for the arrangement says a lot.

::

That they bought a game--and I'm assuming this since you even were alerted to it--without even changing the account's associated email address, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's a child currently hijacking your account. Not that that's really relevant but still...

Comment

Several of us got our accounts hacked last year. Steam will respond (sometimes very fast, sometimes several days later).

Steam continues to store credit card info as a default – remember to uncheck this. Never, never let a web site store your credit info. The credit card may need to be canceled and replaced. The card holder should check for additional unauthorized usage.

Comment

Out of curiosity, how secure did you make your password?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't worry about this too much, just change your pasword. Steam support is very good and I'm positive they will work with you and the credit card company to resolve this issue.
            2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
            BC2: |TG| Wesb2
            BF3: Wesb23

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Out of curiosity, how secure did you make your password?
              Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail or instant messaging, and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one.
              Got an email (last year) from a fellow TG member and stupidly trusted the email and the chain spread. Happened to quite a few of us. There were various threads: Hacked - disregard any email, etc...

Comment

Also, since they bought MW2 it's almost certainly someone who hacks in MW2 and changes accounts frequently as they are VAC banned... Would try to get the account back ASAP before you're banned as VAC is automated so there's not much you could do..

Comment

Originally posted by Jakaleel View Post
                  Got an email (last year) from a fellow TG member and stupidly trusted the email and the chain spread. Happened to quite a few of us. There were various threads: Hacked - disregard any email, etc...
                  So he lost it through a phishing scam? I thought we were well-versed not to enter anything anywhere else other than the official Steam website/application?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Everyone is prone to click something sooner or later. Not everyone is super paranoid.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I told her son and he called me and didnt seem to concrened so i am hopefully good. She still doesnt know though :/ I have contacted steam (i did as soon as MW2 was bought) They still havent responded yet so i am just wating for that.
                      sigpic

Comment

You may not hear back from them until tomorrow, due to the Holiday.

Comment

So he lost it through a scam? I thought we were well-versed not to enter anything anywhere else other than the official Steam website/application?
                          He didn't say how he lost he lost the account. I was explaining how several of us lost accounts last year. Could be phishing, trojan keylogger, a so called friend, public computer, simple password, etc...

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
                          You may not hear back from them until tomorrow, due to the Holiday.
                          That sounds about right. Their servers have been busy with the sales.

Comment

So he lost it through a phishing scam? I thought we were well-versed not to enter anything anywhere else other than the official Steam website/application?
                            Well i have no clue how i lost my account to a hacker. I honestly dont have a clue
                            sigpic

Comment

It happens, my Gmail got hacked a while ago. Luckily i was able to save it and change the password since I noticed it had happened within the hour.

People hack steam accounts all the time, the guy/girl could have just randomly picked you from a group or something. At least he didn't completely lock you out :)
                              2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
                              BC2: |TG| Wesb2
                              BF3: Wesb23

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse