Questions about PDWs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about PDWs

my grandparents are currently interested in buying some personal defense weapons, i keep trying to convince them to buy any 9mm variations of the Glock series due to its low kick and the ammunition generally being cheap and easy to find.they now have 2 pistols, a Grendal P-12, and a High-Point CF380. I really dont like the P-12, it just doesnt feel right, with the action being a heavy metal and the grip being a very weak feeling plastic. they want to trade it in for another gun and again im trying to convince them to get a glock, but theyre not too sure about it due to their dealer saying they werent trustworthy weapons, which in my opinion is total bull****. so i wanted to ask everyone here if they had an idea for an alternative
    Arma name: Cueball, -19D-Cueball, or L.Cpl. Vowels
    PR name: Sleeper68, Cu3b4ll
    2142:sleeper68

Re: Questions about PDWs

Let me guess, their dealer doesn't sell Glock?

I've put thousands of rounds through my Glocks (17 & 23) without a single failure.

Besides, if you don't own a Glock, you can't use cool phrases like "You gone come down with a fatal case of Glock-oma if you don't stop messin' with me".

Comment

For me, I prefer a .45 . I have a Kimber Custom II with hollow points. Its got some good weight to it, but its not overly heavy. Easy to use, and suprisingly low recoil.

I would try and avoid 9mm. The penetration is waaay to high. You run the risk of them shooting an intruder and the bullet going through him and hitting the good china. But, the ammo IS cheap and easy to find. Whereas .45, once it hits it speads and stops so you wont have penetration issues, but the price of ammo is higher.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

For 9mm, you shouldn't be using plain ol' FMJ for defense loads. Use the cheap, plentiful FMJ for target plinking and learning how to shoot. JHP is what you need. DPX, Speer Gold Dots, Federal Hydra Shoks, Ranger T, whatever, any of the previously-restricted "law enforcement" loads. JHP +P or +P+ is basically what you're looking. They hit the target and expand to twice their diameter, dumping their energy inside the target for maximum wounding without over-penetration. Try them all and stick with whatever your chosen weapon fires best.

9mm, .357, .38, .45, they're all just pistol rounds. There's no place I can shoot you with a .45 where you would survive if it had been a 9mm. Pistols poke holes, rifles punch gaping wounds. Rifle rounds are where the different calibers begin making a big difference. Also, as Dredge states, the difference between recoil in 9mm and .45 isn't anything major. Proper firing stance and grip is the key.

Point is, find a brand where handling, looks, price, and ammunition availability is to your liking. Try to stay away from people that turn their noses up at a particular brand because that favoritism is retarded. I own a Glock 17C and absolutely love it, but I'd sure like to own a Kimber because they're such a high quality handgun. Something like a Kimber that Dredge has can cost as much as an AR or much more than a surplus AK-pattern rifle. A Glock is much cheaper, but some people don't like how the plastic feels. Some pistols weigh more than others. Magazine capacity can differ. Safety mechanisms can be much different.

There's a big world of handguns out there, shop around. Do some research. See if you can borrow/rent some handguns for your grandparents to fire to see what they like.

Comment

I have a a Springfield XD-40 Subcompact. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's basically like a Glock, but I prefer the grip angle on the XD. Both Glocks and Springfield XD's are great weapons, but it comes down to a matter of personal preference. Yeah, I know that .40 ammo is more expensive, but who cares? You will hopefully never have to shoot anyone, but if you DO, you want something that will disable the target with maximum effectiveness. For as little as most people actually go the range, the price difference in ammo just isn't an issue. If you want something cheap to practice with, get a .22 pistol. I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter that I use for plinking. Super fun, dang accurate, and a box of 550 rounds is only like $10. :)

My Springfield XD-40: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=66

My Ruger .22: http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/models.html (BTW, there are MUCH cheaper alternatives that are just as much fun)

However, for bedside defense, you can't go wrong with a good old fashioned pump-action 12 gauge shotgun. Cheap and about as effective as it gets.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I own an M&P9C for everyday carry.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Any good hollow-point round in 9mm, 40 or 45cal is fine for personal defense. I would care about the price of ammo chosen as anybody who plans on using their firearm in defense of oneself had better be at the range on a semi-regular basis practicing.

And as a side note to the above, ball ammo is fine for target practice, but I personally recommend firing a minimum of 100 rounds of the chosen round for personal defense through said firearm no matter how expensive. It always kills me when I see people pay $20.00 for 8 rounds of "fragmenting personal defense ammo" and trust it to one day save their life without ever having fired a single round of it.

My personal choice for carry is Federal 124gr. Hydra-shok JHP. I fired 100 rounds straight with it without a single fail to feed or fire.

Comment

9mm is fine, and will not "Over-penetrate" with the proper ammunition. Federal HST 124g+P or 147g loads should work fine :)

Don't get swayed into getting a ".45" cause it is "Teh Ub3R Deadly". Gill is right, if you kill them with a .45, a 9mm would have killed them too. Shot placement is more important :)

I have a seen a dude shot 4 times with a "Ultra 1337 .45" in the chest/abdomen. He was bleeding a little bit, but still VERY much alive. Alive enough to shank you...

No insta-kill nonesense....

Glock 19 is always a good choice. Can't recommend it enough. You can put a few thousand rounds through it in a day, with no lube/cleaning with no problems :)
              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                9mm is fine, and will not "Over-penetrate" with the proper ammunition. Federal HST 124g+P or 147g loads should work fine :)
                This round helps with the 9mm penetration? Hmmmmm.....Thanks for the insight :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                  See if you can borrow/rent some handguns for your grandparents to fire to see what they like.
                  This right here is the best advise. Everyone has an opinion but only you have your grandparents and only they know how much "kick" they can handle. Its all good and well to debate the stopping power of the different calibers but if they cant handle the recoil of a 45 or .40 then the point is moot.

I would recommend finding a range with rentals and running down the list of calibers till they find one they can handle and perform "on target" follow up shots with and then find a pistol that not only fits their hand but also allows them to operate the functions also. If they cant chamber a round in a Glock or activate the Decocker on another weapon, then again its a moot point. And dont over look revolvers either.

My personal opinion is nothing less then 380 and I carry a Glock 23.
                  The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin View Post
                    And dont over look revolvers either.
                    Good point! Very simple and perfectly reliable. Great points about the 9mm ammo, everyone.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I realize we've all been talking about pistols, but if your grandparents are simply looking for something to keep in the house and not carry, nothing beats a good old shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
                        I realize we've all been talking about pistols, but if your grandparents are simply looking for something to keep in the house and not carry, nothing beats a good old shotgun.
                        LMAO, nothing says "Poop your pants and leave" like the sound of someone racking a shotgun slide :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

My wife and I tried out a Glock on the recommendation of... everybody? I liked it fine, but she had trouble with it. Apparently the Glock 19 we were shooting doesn't respond well to "limp wristing." She had quite a few stovepipes, and it wound up frustrating her. I don't know if that's common or if it was just on that particular pistol we were shooting.

I sure as hell wouldn't bet my life on it though, which is why we ended up going with a revolver and we both love it. It's a S&W J-frame 38 double action. She has a little trouble with shooting accurately out of double action, but can bullseye very consistently when she cocks the hammer to shoot single.

Of course, we still have a 12-ga Mossberg Persuader leaned against the wall in the closet, so I doubt we'd ever need the revolver in a home defense situation. I will always opt for a long gun in that situation if I can help it. Easier to point and shoot, that is for sure.

Just some considerations that we ran into that may help.
                          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

@Evo

Kimber makes a great line of .45's that are small. Perfect for your wife. The Ultra Carry II series are all great guns. I own a Kimber Custom II and its the best .45 I have ever fired.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

You wife must have been REALLY limp-wristing it. Glock 19/17 are considered by many to be the most reliable semi-automatic handguns on the planet. Your issues are not common at all, bad example/user error is certainly possible.

Dredge the Kimber's are pretty guns, but they haven't run well run for me. Especially "Dirty". Even my Gunsmithed Springfield 1911 with like $2000 into it, had issues.

Once you start decreasing the size down from 5" on a 1911, bad things happen....I wouldn't recommend a shorty 1911 for anybody. If she is limp wristing it, the grip safety on the 1911 may become an issue as well.

Glad you like the J-Frame. It's a badass gun ;)

Revolvers malfunctions less often than semi-autos, but when they do, you are ****ed. No "Rip out the mag, rack, rack, rack" here....

Shotguns kill people dead. Nuff' said....
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X